SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmverb

Looking for feedback on kitchen design

rmverb
8 years ago

I'm bringing this discussion over from my sink thread. My wife and are going to be breaking ground on our new home in about 2 weeks and we have had one meeting with our kitchen designer and he has given us one preliminary rendering. This is only a starting point and we will be making changes, so I wanted to get some feedback and suggestions before we move too much further. Obviously, the structure is not going to change and I think our layout is dictated by where the walls and doors are located.

Here are some basic specs:

42" built in fridge

48" rangetop

Microwave drawer in island

36" single bowl sink

24" dishwasher

Hete are the preliminary drawings:

Comments (43)

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does anyone have a drain board in their countertop? I like the idea but I'm wondering if it's practical or worth the expense?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Can we see a floor plan as to how the kitchen relates to the other rooms please? That will dictate some of the suggestions. I know I have a few but need to see the house layout first.

BTW are you completely against having a small secondary prep sink?

• Related Discussions

I'm looking for feedback on my kitchen design ideas

Q

Comments (5)
    It will be very difficult to pull off with everything in the room in medium values. You need lighter and darker values to be able to pull it off successfully. Your red could be one of the darker tones if you used a dark barn red that has some black in it. And one of your grays or tans could be the light tone. If everything is the same medium value, it will all look blah no matter what color you use.
    ...See More

Looking For Feedback On Kitchen Design

Q

Comments (5)
    Check the READ ME thread for information about posting pictures.
    ...See More

Help with kitchen layout

Q

Comments (1)
    Josh, Welcome to Gardenweb. Please read the link (New to Kitchens? Read Me First) which talks about the information that assists forum participants in helping with your kitchen design. Once you have read the thread, please post your proposed layout and the answers to the questions.
    ...See More

Looking for feedback/photos of Architectural Design plan 14662rk

Q

Comments (15)
    pal, the Life dream house is a blast from the past. I Googled Jacobsen and was surprised to learn he's still alive and working at age 87. Also interesting is this 2016 Washington Post article; here's an excerpt: Most people can’t afford to hire Hugh Newell Jacobsen to design a house for them. His fee, which starts at $300,000, puts the acclaimed Washington architect out of reach for all but the 1-percent crowd. But for those who long for a modern, steep-roofed, pavilion-style home, there is now another option: Jacobsen house plans are available for a fraction of the cost. For $3,000, you can purchase the updated and improved design that was once available through Life magazine. Back in 1998, Jacobsen was one of a select few architects to participate in the magazine’s Dream House series. The editors commissioned several architects to design beautiful yet affordable houses for a middle-class homeowner. The mail-order home plans sold for around $600 for a house that was supposed to cost around $200,000 to build. ... The firm decided to revive the plans and license them to Herring Bay to sell. Called the Hugh Newell Jacobsen Dream House 2.0, the plans were revised to adhere to the most rigid building codes in the county. They were updated to modern living standards with a more open floor plan. The plans include options for three types of exteriors – masonry, wood clapboard and board and baton. If you want to build in a flood zone, there’s even an option to construct the house on piles. Anyone wishing to build the home using only American-made materials can request a free specification with that information. ... To learn more about the Hugh Newell Jacobsen Dream House 2.0 plans, go to DreamHousePlans.biz.
    ...See More
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    8 years ago

I'd put the dishwasher to the left of the sink so that if you are prepping/cooking you can put items into it without tripping over it in the prep area between sink and stove.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm not at all opposed to a 2nd sink. We are definitely planning on moving the DW to the other side of the sink.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree with LLLC, and cpartist--I'd also move the prep sink close to the fridge end of the island, to give you more prep space in front of the range.

I have runnels on one side of my sink, and I love them! I use them to drain vegetables and fruits for prepping, as well as dishes. The pic you show has the drainboard and runnels--one member, who completed a kitchen several years ago, put runnels on one side, and a drainboard on the other. The name escapes me, but if I can find a pic, I'll post it later.

GW discussions--runnels

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the drawing of the first floor so you can get a better feel for the flow the kitchen drawing was just something the architect did to depict the basic layout.

• ck_squared
    8 years ago

Move dishwasher to left of sink (done)
    Move microwave to fridge wall where it's convenient to fridge
    Add prep sink to island - I'd put it in the center
    Add secondary trash-only pullout to left side of new prep sink (accessible to microwave and prep area)
    The fridge wall would be a great spot for a coffee station - wash/fill pot from prep sink

• cawaps
    8 years ago

The location of the fridge, right next to a door, where you completely block the door while getting into the refrigerator, would drive me batty.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Scroll down to rmkitchen's post in this thread for pictures of the drainboard and runnels.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I tend to agree about the location of the refrigerator. Do you think it's a good idea to move it so far away from everything? I'm not really sure there's a good place on that wall for the microwave. I'll give the coffee station some thought. Do you think all drawers on the bottom is practical?

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Here is a picture of my drain board. Whether you select runnels or a drain board depends upon the type of counter top material that you select. If you select granite or soapstone, you can have runnels. If you select quartz, you will have to have a drain board. This is due to the quartz manufacturer's warranty practices. The warranty will make for a little creativity on the part of your fabricator. The area has to be cut out and the chunk that is created by the cut out has to be bonded to the larger counter at an angle. It has something to do with not modifying the outer surface. This is the way to get around that issue.

I made sure that the drain board dimensions allowed my cutting board to fit over it in order to create additional counter top when desired.

I am so glad that I had pictures from GW to show the fabricator. It made our collaboration so much easier. I love my drain board.

I'm glad you moved the renderings over to this thread. Hopefully, you will get even more help.

• just_janni
    8 years ago

I'd put the prep sink in that large expanse of counters with the relocated fridge (easy access for folks sitting at the island, too). If you won't want the sink located at the passthrough (and I get it if you don't) then hide it behind the wall) It would free up the island for the prep for cooktop and if you don't prep on that fridge wall area - what else are you going to do there? it's dying for another sink....

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My only problem with putting a prep sink in that run of counter and not more centered is that is puts it kind of in the corner. I don't see us doing prep work there with our backs to everything. I'm thinking if we do a prep sink it will be in the island.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What are your thought about a pot filler on the wall behind the range top? Does anyone do them anymore?

• ck_squared
    8 years ago

I think a pot filler is kind of a waste, IMO. I'd rather bring a cold pot of water to the stove then a boiling pot of water to the sink.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I tend to agree about the location of the refrigerator. Do you think it's a good idea to move it so far away from everything?

Where I placed it in the version I showed above, it is very practical IF you put the prep sink on the island. The fridge is then out of the path of people coming in and out of the garage/mudroom/backyard and out of the actual work area so if you're preparing food, you won't be skirting around people trying to get a drink out of the fridge.

I'm not really sure there's a good place on that wall for the microwave.

Most people prefer a microwave either close to their fridge or to their cooking area. Personally, I use mine more when I'm cooking so prefer it closer to where I'm preparing a meal. But then again, I don't have little ones running around. I think in the island is still practical.

I'll give the coffee station some thought. Do you think all drawers on the bottom is practical?

OMG! Drawers are so much more practical. You can get 3x as much in them, and you can see everything you need when taking them out. No more bending to pull out things from the cabinet. Just open the drawer!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I'd put the prep sink in that large expanse of counters with the relocated fridge (easy access for folks sitting at the island, too). If you won't want the sink located at the passthrough (and I get it if you don't) then hide it behind the wall) It would free up the island for the prep for cooktop and if you don't prep on that fridge wall area - what else are you going to do there? it's dying for another sink....

I respectfully disagree. :)

I think then you're in the path from mudroom to other rooms in the house. By having the prep sink and the prep area on the island, it keeps you out of the pathways.

As for the pot filler question, I think it's a waste. It's so easy with your sink on the same run as your cooktop to go from the sink to the cooktop. I wouldn't waste my money and like someone said, walking with a full pot of cold water is a lot easier than walking with a full pot of boiling water with the pasta in it.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

btw: instead of a lazy susan have you seen these? I'm going to be using them in my new home. Again, more drawers with usable space and not the angled corner cabinet.

Shaker Grey · More Info

And for the upper, how about a reach in cabinet? Something like this:

Easy-Reach Corner Wall Cabinet · More Info

rmverb thanked cpartist
  • rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I really like those ideas for the corner cabinet, thank you. Another thing we're trying to decide is if we want seating at the island. We will have a table in the nook and in the dining room. Is it a good idea to also put stools at the island, or is it overkill?

• homechef59
    8 years ago

I think most islands beg for two or three stools or chairs. It's good to have one or two sitting at the island chatting with the cook. The mistake that I see people making is trying to put six or seven stools on an island.

The one thing that all of us at GW tend to agree about is the utility of drawers over cabinets. You can't have too many drawers. It's just that simple. There are so many ways to adapt them for multiple uses. Do a search and you will see many reveals that have loads of drawers. The common thread will be thanks for GW'ers suggesting drawers.

• just_janni
    8 years ago

Agreed with the rest of the folks - put the prep sink in the island and then figure out a non-preppy use for the passthrough area. Garbage pull out in the island, too.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We would probably do 4 stools at the island. Any suggestions for that long run of counter and cabinets on the side with the pass through?

• just_janni
    8 years ago

breakfast and coffee bar???? milkshake bar? (even better -get a cool Hamilton beach milkshake maker...) ;-) We'll all be over at about 7:30.

If you bake it could be a nice marble slab for dough rolling / bread making / mixer stand, etc.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We're thinking of doing marble counters in at least part of the kitchen and butler's pantry, so I like the idea of a baking station. I'm currently researching built in coffee makers as well. We're doing all Jenn Air appliances and they do make a built in coffee maker that is intriguing. It's quite expensive, though. Does anyone have one of these or something similar?

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, what is a good size for a prep sink? What type of faucet would work best with it? We're doing a tall pre-rinse style faucet in the main sink but I'm not sure that would look good in the island. This is the one we're using in the big sink: http://www.kraususa.com/single-lever-pull-out-kitchen-faucet-and-soap-dispenser.html

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How do you guys feel about how he designed the layout with plate drawers on the opposite side of the dishwasher? This doesn't make any sense to me. When you look at this layout, how would you plan your storage? Where would you put the silverware? Dishes? Glasses?, etc.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bringing this back to the top for more discussion.

• practigal
    8 years ago

Cpartist has given you great advice, she got the fridge out of the corner and the rest of the kitchen works well.

Every day dishes, glasses and cutlery should be stored in the cabinets closest to the dishwasher. You should be able to stand beside the dishwasher and unload the clean dishes, glasses and cutlery directly into the cabinets and drawers, no walking to another cabinet required. Similarly, you should be able to stand at the sink on the other side of the dishwasher and load the dirty dishes directly into it without walking.

A prep sink is nice... But if there are only two of you and you both don't cook together then it Is unnecessary. I would certainly place it on the island, never on the wall run.

I personally see no point in a pot filler unless you do canning or have an enormous family that loves pasta. I actually got rid of my largest pot a couple of years ago and with just the two of us, I have never missed it.

I do like the concept of a coffee station for two reasons: one coffee can be kind of messy and drips get all over the place so it is nice to confine it to a set location (particularly when you have company) and two if you have it in the correct location people can get to it without disturbing the cook at the stove or prep area.

Why don't you post the current permutation of the layout plan that you are thinking of rather than solicit more comments which forces the reader to read through all of the suggestions and guess which ones you like.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback We're currently waiting for a re-draw based on our feedback. I'll post the new drawings when I receive them.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, here are some updated drawings based on our suggestions. He moved the fridge to the opposite side, moved the dishwasher to the left of the sink, and changed the design of the vent hood. The sink we're using is 36", but I kind of wish he had gone with a 40" sink cabinet rather than the 42". I also feel like the island should be more substantial. It's currently drawn as 36" X 72". What do you think?

The large plate drawers are kind of confusing to me. Would you normally store your dishes so far from the sink/dishwasher? We told him we are considering a prep sink in the island, but he didn't draw in in the plans.

• bpath
    8 years ago

Wouldn't the fridge be more convenient if its door opened into the space between the oven and island? Seems like you often take things from the fridge and set on the island for prepping or pouring (not just prep for cooking, but making a sandwich or salad, or pouring milk on cereal). Or grabbing a squirt of lemon juice or wine for the sauce. In fact, my fridge and oven are swapped from this plan, and I find it awesomely convenient. I'm not in and out of the oven nearly as often in a day, or a meal prep, as with the fridge.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The fridge was originally on the opposite side but there was concern about opening the door into the mudroom doorway. See the original photos above. Due to the size of the fridge, I don't think it would be possible to place where the double ovens are located.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

It's an improvement from the first. The prep sink has become optional in this plan. I'd want one, but it isn't absolutely necessary. The big question is where are the drawers in this plan?

You are right. Reduce the size of the sink cabinet. I don't think you realize that a 33" sink is huge. Maybe you should go look at one out of the box. A 36" cabinet with a 33" single bowl sink is really large. Use those inches in the cabinet on the other side of the DW. And make the base cabinet next to the DW into drawers. In this plan, most of your plates and glasses will be in this cabinet and the wall cabinet.

Did I mention drawers, yet?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Much better!

The reason he gave you a 72" island is he gave you 48" aisles on both sides. I think you could easily get away with a 48" aisle on the clean up sink side, and a 42" aisle where the fridge side is. That would then allow you to have an 80" island. Also a drawer microwave only needs 24".

So I would do from left to right when when facing the island the island:

18" cabinet with drawers

20" sink base with 18" prep sink

18" garbage cabinet

24" drawer microwave

All your lower cabinets need to be drawers. And I would absolutely put in a prep sink in your configuration. It doesn't need to be large. 18" wide would be plenty. Oh and you also need to change your lowers to drawers.

(do you see a theme here?)

• Xochitl
    8 years ago

I've had the soapstone countertop in for around two weeks and I do love my drainboards. They are useful when washing fruits or veggies, you can just place to dry off on board. On the otherside, we keep clean dishes.

Our old countertop was tile with a marine edge and I didn't want to lose that function of keeping water from running onto floors.

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We're going to talk to him about more drawers. As for the island, I'd also like for it to be wider than 36". I'm thinking anywhere from 42 - 48". Thoughts?

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do you think we would need to make the island longer if we increase the depth to 48"?

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another question: Do you think we should bump out the range top like we did the sink? Would this be overkill on the bump outs? Should we even do bump outs at all?

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Drawers, drawers, drawers, - you will thank this group everyday if you do drawers everywhere.

Unless you have a very specific reason for having a lower cabinet I wouldn't do it. We put one in (against the advice of our KD) for "just in case" and it has a phone book in it. Fortunately it isn't very big.

A bump-out is great to give some dimension to a long counter run with the sink centered. In your case I would worry about the sink being close to the corner and with the sink cabinet jutting out, of the area being too closed in. But as a design feature it can be nice.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    8 years ago

Does anyone really like to bake at your house? I don't really cook, my husband prepares most meals, but I do like to bake. In your kitchen I see that wall where the fridge is as a great place for setting up baking prep. I would make one of the lower cabinets a pop up for a mixer (I've had one in my kitchen for years and love it). Depending on the height of the main baker, you could lower the counter height there, or at least a section of it. Maybe the portion under the pass through? I am 5'4" and I wish I had an area of counter that was 30" high instead of 36". Currently I roll out on the kitchen table on a mat to achieve this.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else, drawers, drawers, drawers!

• rmverb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How deep of a prep sink should we use? We're going with a 10" deep main sink.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Don't go any deeper than the 10". I'm short and deep sinks don't bother me. But, too deep and my tall DH says it hurts his back. Shallower will be better. This last sink, a Kohler Strive, came with a sink grid and a sponge rack. My DH loves it. Says the depth is perfect with the grid.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012