SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexchicago

First sleep: Brooklinen Classic Core Sheetset

Alex Chicago
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have always enjoyed that Motortrend gives a "First Look" review of new cars so that we, the eager public, can sink our teeth into something while they do their more in-depth road testing and real-life driving. This review is about that same level of depth since I've only had the Brooklinen Classic Core Sheet Set (Bedford Navy Stripe) for one day.

Purchase Process - Simple, quick. I bought online, chose my payment and delivery method, and had the package shipped to work. Now that I know they ship using USPS rather than UPS, I will have it shipped home since I can have those deliveries during the day even if we aren't home. I received the shipment 6 days after purchase, including a 2-day delay at my local post office (Chicago has a terrible USPS system). Price for queen was $109 plus $10 shipping. I've since learned they do offer free shipping on larger orders.

Packaging - This shouldn't matter, but hopefully the same care that goes into packaging goes into procurement and production. The sheets were perfectly folded inside their own tote bag along with a thank-you note and a sample pack of "The Launderess" detergent. The sheets had no obvious scent or chemical odor, which I've come to expect from some other brands.

Quality/Texture - I first examined all the visible stitching: tight and no loose threads. Next I laid out both the pillowcases and the top sheet on a flat surface to make sure the pieces were cut square and could be pressed flat. Perfection. My issue with the Threshold percale sheetset I recently bought is that the two of the four pillowcases are impossible to press flat; the open and closed ends are not the same width and therefore geometrically crooked. Although the Brooklinen sheets are square, they also have designed the pillowcases differently. There is not hem visible on the outside. It is an internal cuff so the exterior is just pure and flat with no hem. I'm sure there's a word for this.

Washability - Despite perviously committing to doing the first wash in a liquid, I could resist washing these new sheets in some of the vintage Tide powder I recently secured. I used one Sears scoop (roughly 2 TBS) and did a 120F long wash with no FS. I smooth-pressed each piece against my chest before putting into the dryer and removed the cases and top sheet when they were still just slightly damp, allowing the fitted sheet to dry completely. Out of the dryer, these have a better feel than the Threshold sheets I've been using the last few weeks. The Threshold sheets, to me, feel a bit like wax paper out of the dryer; they press nicely, but feel somewhat artificial prior to ironing. The Brooklinen are wrinkled, like Percale tends to be, but feel softer. Most importantly, they pressed beautifully. The stitching and measuring is accurate so they are easy to lay out on the board and press. I was done with the pillowcases and top sheet in good time.

Bedmaking/sleeping - I have a medium-depth mattress, and the fitted sheet snugged up nicely in all corners. The Threshold fitted sheet is always a bit of a pain for me (it's not too small, it's just awkward) but this one slipped right on. The top sheet is plenty long, but I wish it were just slightly wider for tucking on the sides. It's not any narrower than the Threshold -- probably the exact same width. My partner and I both thought they felt very good for the first night. I'm chronically overheated in bed so having crisp, cool sheets has been a nice gift by going back to percale. I iron almost nothing, but pressing linen kitchen towels and percale bed sheets is almost therapeutic.

Buy again? - Too early to tell, but initial thought is YES. I am a bit supporter of direct-to-consumer, disruptive retail, and of anything not made in China. The price is also really good for material of this quality (long-staple, single-ply, Egyptian cotton). Plus, there's a generous 60-day return policy. I'm interested in trying their down comforter and duvet cover, but that may have to wait.

Attached are a few photos of the sheets in the package. You'll just have to trust me that they look good on the bed. We've finished off every room in our condo except the master, and it's just not photo-ready. Sorry, folks. But happy to answer any questions.

Comments (26)