SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thenaturalist

Black, grey, fuzzy mold (not salts!) on terracotta pots

thenaturalist
8 years ago

Hello,

I've googled and searched around in the forums and saw that some people also have this problem of mold (not just salt buildup -- actual fuzzy/grey/black mold or fungus) growing on their pots. Advice seemed to be that pots absorb water and can grow these things but they're normally harmless, and to scrub with vinegar if it bothers you.

Aesthetically, I don't really care. I've read that fungus in soil can actually be good if the soil is organic. (I'm using a mix of perlite and Repti Bark with Black Gold).

But my plants are all indoors/house plants -- I don't have a yard (city dweller) so they live inside with me and I usually have a humidifier on. I'm concerned that what might not be so bad in a yard might be bad for me to breathe? Am I right to worry about these mold spores?

I don't have vinegar at the moment (ran out) but I do have plenty of H2O2. Can I use that?

Photos below. This particular pot is REALLY bad (didn't realize; it sits in a corner and I don't rotate it). You can see it was on pebbles, but my other pots aren't. Although I drain the runoff, the others also have a little bit of mold. (Maybe due to the constant humidity?)

Comments (8)