SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaitlyn_sanders

Grass alternatives for large lawn with dogs

Kaitlyn Sanders
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

My backyard is the bane of my existence right now. We have owned our home in Kentuckiana for three years now and every year I go through the same process of planting and replanting grass, fertilizing, and watering, only to end up with a few patches of new grass that is mostly dead by the next season. Our yard is almost completely shaded by mid spring and is well over 1,000 sqaure feet, with foot traffic from two dogs. I attached a photo of what it looks like. Sad, huh? The most frustrating thing is looking at my neighors backyard two doors down and seeing beautiful green grass. I really want a green yard, but don't have hundreds of dollars to blow on landscaping pros or sod. I know there are many alternatives to grass, such as moss, clover, and thyme, that I have been interested in trying. I want something that will grow fast, in shade, be less maintenance than grass, been fairly inexpensive and stand up to traffic of dogs. I know that is alot to ask, but I'm tied of fighting grass and really need something to work. I'm willing to try anything! If you have any suggestions on other grass alternatives or how to get something to grow in my backyard, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Comments (3)