SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleannette75

NEW & CONFUSED - WHAT SOIL FOR A FLOWERBED?

"Stormy" Gray
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

BACKGROUND:

I live in Zone 8 and this flowerbed along the front curb gets scorching sun in the summer. I had 7 inches of sandy loam brought in when I had my grass put in. I want to plant a row of knockouts and holly evergreens.

Hi, I'm confused because I've heard knockouts love sandy loam but I also hear to plant them in compost/soil that looks dark and rich. I'm also confused about peat moss. It's been recommended to me by an older yard man that saw my flowerbed but I don't know if he's right or not. Also, could you recommend what you would do if you didn't have time to make compost and couldn't find any in your area? Is there a certain kind of manure that won't burn the plants and do I put it in the hole the plants are going into or till it in the entire flowerbed? Is 7 inches of sandy loam enough or should I bring in more? Originally it was good sandy loam that held together in your hand for a few seconds before crumbling. But, it has been tilled in with the original grayish dirt beneath so I don't know if I need to bring in more or where to go from here. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (12)