SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebeijaflor

Mirrors off centre from sink.

M DMD
8 years ago

Our cabinet guy changed our double vanity. So now our sinks are not centered, and our mirrors will not be directly above the sink.

Does this matter? I think it will look okay, but my husband has reservations. I'm going to attach photos so you can see what I mean. And I've roughly measured our where the mirror would sit.

Is it okay? Or should be do a flat sheet mirror to cover the entire space? (I really dislike the sheet mirror because it's boring, and to have a bevel it will cost $600 per side (ridiculous).

This is is the mirror I want to use. 36x48 and drawn in above.

Comments (46)

• localeater
    8 years ago

I think it will be just lovely

• H B
    8 years ago

I can see why cabinet guy moved the sinks, and fortunately they are far enough off center that it looks deliberate -- agree with local eater that it will look lovely!

• Related Discussions

48' vanity - sink centered or off center?

Q

Comments (2)
    What sweeby said. Also, I don't display things in the bath but love having one uninterrupted counter space to do stuff. Spread out a bunch of washed brushes/combs; spread out handwashables that I roll in a towel before hanging to dry; spread out all my makeup while I try to create a happy face; fight with the cat about a vet-ordered bath for her skin condition--you know, functional stuff. Also, to me it makes countertop cleaning easier if it's mostly on one side.
    ...See More

sink off center in sink base

Q

Comments (5)
    I can't center the sink base under the window because it is in a corner - There is 25 inches between the window and the wall - I need 24 for the perpendicular cabinet run, plus 1 inch of filler. Does that make sense? The wall, from right to left is: 24" void/corner, 1" filler, sink base, dw, 30" drawers. I chose to just have nothing in the corner so my 90 degree turn is the sink base and a drawer base at right angles to each other (plus filler for handle clearance). It sounds like I'll have to use the 36" base, for the sink to fit. Its a drop in sink, does that change things? So, center sink on 33" window, or in 36" base?
    ...See More

Help-bathroom mirrors, can I hang them off center?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm afraid I agree with GreenDesigns. They are wonderful, but you will ruin your bathroom's design integrity if you use them in the wrong place, and I think that is the wrong place. Your bath mirrors must hang centered on your sinks, or the composition will drive you crazy, not to mention having to stand to the side to get your face centered in the mirror. And they are much too powerful in design to work flanked by two more, unless you just mirrored the whole wall. Then you could hang one in the middle on top of it. Surely you can find good places for both of them? Do you have a fireplace with equal space on both sides of the chimney breast, for instance? They'd look great hung over a pair of bookcases that were, say, 3' tall and 4' wide. Or on the end walls of your dining room, to hang them opposite each other on those walls? if you use the short walls, the distance between them will minimize that eternity thing that happens when mirrors are hung opposite each other. Or hang one upstairs and one down, if you have an upstairs.
    ...See More

Issue with off centered medicine cabinet and light with sink

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm not sure how you could fix it without replacing the mirror and light fixture (or paying to have them moved). You could get a larger mirror and just have it not be centered over the medicine cabinet (you'd have to get creative about how to hang/hinge it so you can access the cabinet). You could look for a wider light fixture that would hide the actual base/connection, so it wouldn't look off center. I'm not sure if this could be mounted so the actual connection is off center, but maybe something to explore?
    ...See More
  • llcp93
    8 years ago

It will look great. We are used to everything being centered, and when it is not, we think it is wrong, or wont look good.

We did a cosmetic reno almost 18 months ago in our master bath. Totally redid shower and replaced tub, counter tops, flooring, sinks,toilet, fixtures etc. What we didn't plan on, because they were always centered before, was our light fixtures not centered over the sinks.

The old style light fixture, with the brass plates, gave a lot of wiggle room to slide either way to make it centered. With the new light fixture, the hole with the wiring would not allow the new fixture to be centered on the sink. We came to this realization after all subs had left and we had spent money on painters to paint the cabinets, our closet, bath and master bedroom. This would require more fix, texture and repaint.

So after hanging the mirrors centered under the lights (making it off center of sink) and hanging the centered over the sink (making them off center under the lights) I opted for center under the lights and let the sink be off center. It looked more deliberate that way and to this day, I don't even notice it.

Your bath will be beautiful.

• M DMD
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Excuse me, please delete? Who do you think you're talking to? If you want a post deleted go to Houzz about it.

I posted in bathroom and then realised it would be better off in Design Dilemma. There is no option to delete.

• M DMD
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everybody.

I'm very unsure he how to proceed. I would happily buy the mirrors but I don't want my husband to not like the finished product. Really unsure. I think I'm going to have to speak with him more about it.

Just two weeks 'til closing. This has been my biggest issue with the build, so I'm really stressing about it.
  • User
    8 years ago
    It's your duplicate post. I think you need to contact Houzz yourself if you can't delete.
  • M DMD
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't have a problem with the posts, Sandy. That's you.

I'm receiving a few opinions which are helpful to me.

Like I said, please contact Houzz with your personal issue. You're spamming up my post.
  • User
    8 years ago
    I realize you are very upset over this, I would be too. It's hard for people to follow along on two posts. Most people offering advice, read what has been suggested on your thread, so as not to be redundant. As you get more comments it becomes too difficult to follow both threads, that's all. Not spam.
  • Jane
    8 years ago

I think it will be fine, especially if the dimensions are the same on each side. You can fill the blank space on the counter with an accessory that will balance out the look.

• M DMD
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Well, I'm sorry for being short with you. I've just got too much on my plate at this exact moment. I would delete if I could. I'm sorry. There's really no option to do so.
  • User
    8 years ago
    No worries. You certainly do have a lot on your plate. Take a deep breath, enjoy your babies, it will work out. You are going to have a lovely home. You have great taste. I love all your choices.
  • lego9lego
    8 years ago

I think not centered/asymmetrical usually looks more "designer". You are going

to each have different items on each side of the counter so it's never going to look

perfectly balanced anyway.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What's the reasoning for the placement of the sinks the way they are?

To me it looks like the left and right sink are in different positions with respect to the cabinets, plus the tower is at different distances from the sinks, or is that my perspective?

Personally, it would drive me nuts, sorry. I would insist on a new counter that centers the sinks above the two-door cabinet. I'm assuming that the row of base cabinets is symmetrical. Is it?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Hmm, are the cabinets on the bottom all the same? Meaning the left set of drawers is the same width as the right set of drawers? The photo makes it look like the left set of drawers is narrower than the right. If that's the case, then your cabinet maker should redo the cabinets how they were supposed to be.

However, if it's just a photo optical illusion, and the two cabinets are exactly the same distances from each respective wall, and the sinks are each placed exactly centered over the cabinet, then I think it will look fine with the mirrors off center.

My sinks are not exactly centered on my cabinets and no one would ever notice.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm assuming everything is centered and it's just camera distortion. The sinks are in the right position for a vanity of that length and so that neither of you gets squeezed up against a wall while at a sink.

It would bother me that the sink isn't centered under the mirror. It looks like an error and not design creativity. I would remove the counter shelf and use a narrow framed mirror on the wall. It's a better look with your contemporary finishes than the fussy traditional mirror. It gives you more counter space, which I think you need more than additional storage. I'm seeing less and less of the counter shelves being used in photos of modern bathrooms. I considered one for my bathroom but now I think it's a trend that has passed. I would ask him to remove it from your bill since he didn't do the vanity to your specifications.

A 30-34" tall mirror is a much better look for a long, modern vanity and will look better with your side sconces.

Muirfield Townes · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Why did he change your cabinet with your approval? It would drive me crazy. I would remove the center shelves/sitting on counter and then you'll be able to center mirrors over the sinks.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

I'm with nosoccermom. I prefer having some things asymmetrical, but that would make me crazy. If the cabinet maker changed things without approval and not per your plans, I would have whatever needs to change be changed now. If you decide it makes you hate your bathroom each time you look at it, it would be easier to change it now.

You could get a narrower mirror centered over the sinks, then move your light fixtures to sit to the outside of each mirror kind of like this:

or use a full mirror which would reflect your light fixture, providing some balance
    another option, if the error is the cabinet makers, would be to remove the tower, as allison suggested, or take out the center one and have two smaller ones on the outside. Some adjustment would have to be made with your sconces.

eta: I just found this pic...it looks almost exactly like your situation and it's not that noticeable. I do think the sconces on either side of the mirror add some balance, though, and the mirrors are more narrow than what you are considering.

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

It looks deliberate and not "weird" to me. I'd also prefer to have the larger counter space to the one side of the sink that you get with the sinks offset rather than two skinny little spaces if it were centred.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

How big are the sinks? 20 inches?

Maybe the pics are distorted, but everything looks off to me. I'd measure all the distances.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I'm not obsessed with symmetry, but it does look off. I would get rid of the tower on the counter as that emphasizes and draws attention to the asymmetry. I don't care for them in any bathroom. As others have suggested, a single, vanity-wide mirror is the way to go.

• User
    8 years ago
    I agree with the above post.
    A single, custom mirror with beveled edge would look great. You can have you electrician install sconces on both sides of each sink.
  • User
    8 years ago

At first I thought the sinks looked off but then I quickly realized the bottom cabinets are center with the sink - so it makes sense now. It looks lovely. And I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your bevel mirrors - totally go with bevel. I did during my remodel and it's one of my favorite choices.

• User
    8 years ago

My mirrors are smaller but I found them at HomeGoods for less than $100 each. Pottery Barn use to sell bevel mirrors - they were pricey though. Good luck!! :) Share pics when you're done.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

To me, the sinks do not look centered over the bottom cabinets. Even the tower doesn't, but that could be the perspective.

Are the sinks equidistant from the sides and the tower?

• Vith
    8 years ago

That would drive me crazy too.

It looks like an error and not design creativity.

That quote right there says it all. It looks like an error.

You can either have the cabinet and countertop redone, or move middle shelving unit and have the pot lights centered over the sinks. There are multiple options for the mirror(s) and the shelving unit(s).

If you have the cabinet redone, the current design is flawed, you wont be able to have drawers on the ends and it be centered on each side. It would have to look like this, similar to other inspiration pictures posted by others above. The pot lights are currently where they belong in this situation.

Here are some other options I drew up that dont require redoing the cabinet and countertop. Notice how the pot lights have been moved.

• pz1717
    6 years ago

M DMD - What did you decide? I have a similar dilemma. I had a renovation and did not realize that the sinks would be in a different location on the new vanity. I wanted to keep the same 2 side sconces where they were and I also requested an additional sconce fixture in the middle. Even though I requested for the mirror to be put up first to see next steps, the fixtures, then the vanity was installed in that order. He put up mirrors and I didn't realize that the mirror was not centered till later. It all looks deliberate as others above mentioned in their comments. Trying to avoid extra work, but if I decide to move the side fixtures( close up holes, extend electric wire etc, etc.) all the extra work, will the symmetry be lost. Do you think it looks ok as it is now.l

I would also like to hear others suggestions/comments.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You're asking about a straight-on view yet you've posted a side view. Can you post another photo?

What I dislike about your mirror placement is that they don't span the width of the sink bowl. I like your sconces but a narrower sconce might allow you to move the mirrors without moving the electrical. You might have to add a double sconce between the mirrors, which will provide the recommended lighting for both mirrors.

Coastal Casual · More Info

• pz1717
    6 years ago

Your advice is good but I don't want to spend more on different lights since I just bought them. I have attached another head on photo - can't get back any further.

• User
    6 years ago

The only thing I can suggest is tall, skinny mirrors so you can center them over the faucets. They won't extend the full width of the sinks but it will look okay because they aren't meant to. That would be about a 15" wide mirror. Frameless mirrors would be best so that you have more mirror for viewing yourself. In that case I'd add another sconce in the center if there's room for two. You can draw it up on graph paper to check the spacing.

Sugar House Master Bathroom · More Info

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Mine are not centered and my guess is no one would have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out. My sinks are centered on the cabinets but the medicine cabinets are centered between the fixtures. Without the fixtures, I wouldn't have enough light.

• Vith
    6 years ago

pz, personally I dont like the location of the lights, they are too low. Better option IMO would be to scrap the whole idea and get two vanity lights over the mirrors instead of 3 sconces. To each their own.

Is there another light overhead in the room? It seems dark.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Better option IMO would be to scrap the whole idea and get two vanity lights over the mirrors instead of 3 sconces. To each their own.

Actually no because overhead lights cast shadows while lights at head height illuminate the face.

• Nancy in Mich
    6 years ago

I am wrestling with the question of whether to put the tube sconces I bought three or four years ago (so they are not returnable) on either end of two med cabs that will be just inches from meeting each other in the middle, or over each of them. As I asked Dear Husband about the issue, I told him how current thinking is just as Cpartist stated, but that I am also concerned about how the lights will each put out a whopping 2600 lumens, may not be dimmable, and we might prefer that kind of glow over our heads instead of staring us in our faces. As we discussed the many considerations connected with the decision, he did point out that he has never, in his 40 years of daily shaving his beard, ever had this preferred side-lighting of his face. He does not think he will miss it.

I am STILL not sure where the sconces are going! Luckily for me, although I have two med cabinet/mirrors, one is only over an empty counter space, and there is only one sink to center under the other. When I went to select my sink and design my vanity, I was surprised to learn that the whole design relied totally on the spacing between the already purchased med cabs and tube sconces. All my drawings done before this realization were useless. I had to go back and measure and draw out their placement on the wall, and the sink placement was obvious from that.

• Vith
    6 years ago

Yea I am not a fan of the lights right in your eyeballs. That and lighting is always overhead so for females putting on makeup, having that natural shadow will allow you to get the makeup to look the way it will everywhere else.

I mean you can put lower watt bulbs in there but at what cost to the rest of the room, unless you have an overhead light for the room as well. A vanity light over the mirrors are the more common thing.

Nancy there is no rule saying you cant put a dimmer in the bathroom.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I have cans over my sinks too, so the lighting to my face is quite even which helps with putting on makeup.

• Nancy in Mich
    6 years ago

It is a matter or whether the actual fluorescent ballast type is a dimmable type or not. I will put a dimmer on anything! I may have to open the lighting unit up to see the ballast. I am not seeing anything that indicates which numbers on the back are for what.

• User
    6 years ago

I wanted to show pz1717 this photo but couldn't find it at the time when I suggested she use mirrors the width of the sink. I would do this before having my mirrors off-center.

It's remarkable how many people don't have the mirrors and sconces figured out until after the vanity goes in.

70’s Master Bath Gets The Spa Treatment · More Info

• Nancy in Mich
    6 years ago

I think sometimes you feel you have to experience the space in order to be sure. Many people do not have the ability to imagine it from drawings. You should see my husband get frustrated when I stand in a space and gesture with my hands to indicate where something will go in a room. He can't even visualize with this - let alone with a drawing. He visualizes better with a word description that paints a picture for him. Everybody is different.

• User
    6 years ago

I have gone through an entire package of graph paper between my kitchen, guest bath, and master bath remodel. It's a very easy way to make sure the vanity, mirror, and lights all fit cohesively. I've built sconces out of cereal boxes and mocked up a vanity counter cabinet with boxes, which is how I realized my blow dryer wouldn't fit in one. I measured furniture in my house to picture the vanity dimensions and taped off sink dimensions on my sideboard. I don't want any surprises when the cabinets are installed.

• lorinine
    3 years ago

Help! I am starting a bathe remodel and having the vanity custom done because I want a 44” vanity with a sink set off to the left. The reason for this is because the bathroom is a small 5x8 and I felt when you walked in the bathroom it would nice to have a little more space from the doorway. Hope that makes sense. It’s the main bathroom and with grandkids there could be 3 people in this small space at any given time and if someon is at the sink it gives a little more room if it’s offset to the left. Now comes the dilemma about the mirror and lighting. I love scones BUT not sure about mirror shape, round or rectangle or where it’s centered or if over the mirror lighting would be better. I have drawn in the walls and taped the space but honestly I still have no idea what to do. The vanity is being custome made so I can always change it to have the sink centered but I really like the idea of the offset sink. I am just at a loss as to what to do about the mirror and lighting. Can you help?

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Here is what I did. Mine is a wheelchair accessible bathroom and is our only full bath. It is 5 x 8.5 ft, plus the shower space adjoining the long side of the floor space. I think I am in the shower when taking this picture. My vanity top is only 16” deep because I needed the floor space in case I ever need a wheel chair. It is 14” deep at the bottom.The only thing I might do differently is to make the medicine cabinets closer to the counter so I could see better sitting. It is nice to have the mirror to use with no sink under it and a big med cab to hold all my stuff, separate from my husband’s med cab.

• lorinine
    3 years ago

Well done, Nancy! I like the 2 mirror option with the lights above, hadn’t thought of that!

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Lights on the side are generally thought to be more effective for seeing your face with fewer shadows. Mine were originally going to go on the sides, with no space between the mirrors, but I was buying for and planning this bathroom remodel for five years before my wallet, my contractor, and my husband’s tolerance for a new project were all available. As a consequence, the design changed several times. The lights and mirrors were here for four years before being installed. As I don’t wear makeup, I do not care that the lights are on top. Hubby says he does just fine shaving with these there. It turns out that they are so bright that they light up the whole room. If I had seen them in person, I may not have chosen them. But I like them better than the old above-the-mirror lights they replaced.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Lorinine, it also occurred to me to emphasize the utility of having this type of sink that curves outward from the counter top. It is the second sink we have had with a “belly.” The first was an inexpensive Home Depot vanity and sink set, maybe 24” wide or so. We learned that two people could easily share that sink in the morning, say with him shaving and me brushing my teeth. The belly sticking out into the room makes it easy for two to stand there at angles and access the sink . That can be handy at tooth-brushing time with the grandkids. As a reference, the sink in my picture is 23” wide and the vanity is 65” wide.

• lorinine
    3 years ago

Thanks again for all the helpful info! So much to consider and think about. Having the vanity custom done and have changed it 3 times!