SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Good Doug Trees?

wisconsitom
8 years ago

Anyone know of an area-not in the Pacific Northwest nor in the northern Rockies-where Pseudotsuga menziesii are growing and doing well? I'm down to just a handful of trees a year up at the place, so don't need any heavy hitters anymore that I know will do well. I can afford to have some slippage. So, since I've seen Doug fir around my town here, in some cases doing pretty well, in some other cases, not so much.....was wondering, under what factors and where one might see the tree doing well outside of its natural range. I'm talking about the Rocky Mt. type BTW, not the coastal version. That, of course, would be out of the question around here. Soil is good for conifers up there, much more sandy/silty than down here in the clay belt. Anyone? Thanks.

ps.....If it seems to anybody that they've seen this or pretty much the same post before, I probably have asked this very question here in the past. Maybe five years ago or so. No big deal...we're moving at a good pace with things up there. This is icing on the cake time, the cake already having been baked. For example, this year, I'm planting a grand total of 25 bigtooth aspen and 25 paper birch. By our standards, that's almost nothing.

Comments (37)