drewstyring

Front Door Color

Andrew
8 years ago

hey guys, I just bought this 100+ year old Victorian and I love the
entryway except for the door. I love the door itself but
the finish on it is starting to look worn. I'd like to update this with
some kind of interesting color. I've attached a pic of the house in
summer and a closer shot of the door itself.

The road block I'm running in to with choosing a color is the storm
door. It's a Larson door that is one of those pre-painted, maintenance
free doors. I feel like painting it would be a bad idea for some reason.
I guess I need help finding something that would look decent behind it.

Comments (42)

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These are my top 3 color choices, but again, I don't know if these will look bad behind that storm door.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

To me none of those colors are strong enough. I would be more inclined to choose navy blue, red or black, all of which would look good with the house color. That's a very individualistic house, really unlike anything I've seen before. It seems to be very well-maintained.

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Agreed. It wasn't exactly the style I was shopping for but the former owner really kept this home well. It was very lovingly cared for it.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

The shape of the house reminded me a little of Chip and Joanna Gaines' b&b.

Photo source, hgtv

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

That is a magnificent blue and it goes well with the house color.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

I had always planned to paint my front door BM Scandinavian Blue which is a slightly more purple version of that Marine Blue I think. The purple was necessary for me as my siding is beige (blue would have looked too preppy with the beige).

• Jane
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Why not replace the storm door with a full-view white framed storm door? Then your options would be wide open, and you could change the door color when you want something different.

My storm door is andersen, about $100 at home depot. I think it has a less detailed frame than yours with no cross bar (which would make it more versatile) but still substantial, detailed and heavy enough to read as good quality IMO. I installed it myself and used the glass pane - not the screen.

Another option is to remove the storm door entirely. I would not recommend that if you have snow, or if you like to use the storm door for other reasons like leaving the main door open or added security.

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh that blue is WONDERFUL!! That might be the winner. Thank you!

Jane, screen door stays. Of course it would look better, but I'm all about the awesome breeze and keeping my front doors open in the summer. These doors are fabulous in that they have screens at the top that hide away. And having screens at the top prevent big dogs from putting their heads through it, which mine have done in the past. ;-)

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Benjamin Moore "Newburyport Blue"?

• cawaps
    8 years ago

My first thought was fuchsia, like BM's Royal Fuchsia

• lovemrmewey
    8 years ago

I would love to see interior pictures of this house!!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Beautiful house!

Love the idea of a darker blue door. Newburyport Blue is great, Gentleman's Gray (it's blue) can also look very neat.

Or maybe even a darker teal, like BM Dark Harbor

Or a dark eggplant?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

fuschia

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My realtor kept pushing a dark teal haha. I love that dark eggplant too! Right now it's a toss up between that and the blue.

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hydrangeas are definitely staying which is why I posted the summer pic. Whatever color I choose it definitely needs to enhance them or compliment them some way. :)

• amykath
    8 years ago

I would pick the bluest hydrangea color or whatever hydrangea that is nearest a bluish tint and go with that and go darker. I love the first blue nosoccermom posted!

Beautiful home!!

• User
    8 years ago

I'd go with BM Wythe Blue. It's a great blue for front doors.

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Show House 2011 · More Info

This one tibbrix? It's lovely. This sort of lighter pastel is what I was originally thinking.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

And glossy!

Of course, this is also pretty neat:

2014 DC Design House · More Info

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So many choices! That one is cool too, but would it look ok behind the screen door? I feel like that might look too odd.

• User
    8 years ago

Yes, that's the wythe blue, although I think this pic is probably more representative of the color, esp. since your door is recessed.

As for the screen door, you can always put white exterior tape over the beige.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Above door from DC showhouse is C2 Paint's BD-24 Pond Shimmer.

I think all the colors above go with the taupe of the storm door (look at the stone colors in that example or the siding).

You may have to get samples and paint large sheets of white paper and stick on your door.

• DYH
    8 years ago

Love your house! You're so lucky!

I bought a 1939 colonial--not nearly as charming as your precious Victorian. It was yellow and white with a red door. I painted it grey with white trim and navy blue shutters and door. My navy has purple undertones. LOVE the navy!

I also love the teal/aqua colors you've posted.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i think a darker blue would look really nice. i also like the eggplant color. i think a blue green like the dark harbor could look nice too- or maybe bm galapagos turquoise if you want a lighter, brighter blue green...

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's funny! An early 1900's colonial is actually the type of home I was shooting for. But then this came along, and all the of the recently done updates with a good price I couldn't pass it up. Your color scheme sounds awesome! Actually very similar to what I had planned to do with a colonial I put an offer out for (obviously didn't work out). What Navy blue color did you go with, dyhgarden? It sounds like the purple undertones might be good for my house with the hydrangeas.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I like the Newburyport Blue that you posted. IMO, the pastel doors are too wishy washy. Your home has character and the blue will look much more stately than a pastel.

• voila
    8 years ago

I had a bright blue with a tiny bit of purple in it and made a wreath for it much like this. Sorry it's so big.

• debo_2006
    8 years ago

I painted ours a medium/dark teal last year and have received so many compliments on the color. It really makes the entrance POP...and it's an unexpected color for a door, IMO.

I also like the blue that viola posted.

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yea, Viola i love that color too. What is it? It sort of looks like the Newburyport or Marine blue posted earlier. I am leaning heavily towards one of those two.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I have a sort of pseudo Victorian in gray. When we painted the fish scales, I picked a darker gray. Should have never left to go shopping because the dark gray was kind of purple once it was up there, which had the whole neighborhood talking for months. No, I didn't make the painter repaint because it was kind of high up and it was tricky. It's now a weathered darker gray blue.

I have had a bright red door for ages but may go navy....

• DYH
    8 years ago

My navy blue is by Behr, custom color collection, New Navy Blue BXC-26 (o). There were no samples at Home Depot. The colors were on the cover of one of their brochures. I had them mix up samples and tried it before buying.

My house body color is Behr Colonnade Gray BXC-25(m). The white trim is Behr Stately White BXC-29(u).

I'll have to run outside and take photo!

This is the same navy on my wicker chairs:

• lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

Lovely entrance! I would have to do the small sample jars on poster board and see them behind the screen door. I would try the Marine Blue, Newburyport Blue, NSM's first blue (?Gentlemen's Grey) but not in the gloss, Viola's door color and the dark eggplant. Hope you will share a photo later when the door is painted and the hydrangeas are in bloom.

• User
    8 years ago

What a beautiful house! Congrats on your purchase. I'll let others weigh in on the door color, I just wanted to suggest moving the downspouts to the other end of the gutters... so that the downspouts are against the house. They could then be painted the same color as the siding and blend in, rather than distract from those gorgeous columns.

Also, at our last house, we had a custom wood storm door made for the front entrance. The porch was a little larger than yours and the front door did not get rain on, even when the wind blew. If you ever decide to replace the storm door, I would find a ready-made or get a custom that does not have the center bar. The front door is just gorgeous.

I would love to see interior pictures of the home and hope you will share a few. The home looks well taken care of by the previous owners, I can imagine you are just over the moon about the purchase.

• DYH
    8 years ago

Per Allison's comment on moving the downspouts -- a handyman can take those existing gutters (if in good condition) and reverse them to the opposite side to put the downspout at the house body. Mine are done that way, so the downspouts are the body color of my house and in the corner of the vestibule.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Would you consider a different style screen door-something more in keeping with the age and style of house?

screen doors

• User
    8 years ago

I would use a medium charcoal gray and let the flowers do the talking :-)

When they aren't blooming, use pots of color.....red or yellow to make a change.

• voila
    8 years ago

Drat, I can't remember the blue color name! The paint can is in the basement of the house we sold three years ago, sorry. The front door was inset and under a full length porch, so it was lighter and brighter than your other blue colors.

• sumac
    8 years ago

That storm door with the roll up screen is the cats pajamas as far as usefulness, I see why you want to keep it. It can be painted with a spray enamel fairly easily. I would change the color to white to match the trim (if the trim is indeed staying white), then what ever color you choose for the door will look wonderful because the beige won't distract from the overall appearance.

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for all of the suggestions and comments! As of now it's narrowed down to one of those blues or an eggplant.

Allison, I am over the moon with this purchase. Besides the character this home has, the previous owner did so many updates. The insulated siding is less than 2 years old, new water heater, kitchen remodel, septic tan is a few months old, and the list goes on and on. All of the updates were done by the owner before he passed away so they were not rush jobs to sell the house either. In addition, in my area, homes that are 2000 or more square feet are usually upwards of 250K or more depending on neighborhood and condition. This home is almost 2K sq ft and I got it for 150k with the estate paying 5K towards closing. It was a good deal.

The interior is nothing overly remarkable. The previous owner ripped out all of the old plaster and lath walls some years ago (and completely updated the electric in the process...) which has plenty of pros and cons. One of the cons, it probably stripped out a lot of the original character this home had. It's still nice though, and I've never lived in a home with drywall and an abundance of electrical outlets before. Lol

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, he had closets built when he put the drywall in. Having never lived in a house less than 100 years old, I'm not used to having so many usable closets. :p

• Andrew
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sumac, you're spot on. And the neighbors have repeatadly told me there's a fantastic breeze that comes off the hills this house faces. So both the main front door and the door above in the little balcony have the same type of storm door. On a breezy summer day it should be really fabulous.