SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ikrg_sales

Small kitchen reno - please help asap!

Irene K
8 years ago

So, I've been planning to do my kitchen since we moved into this house, which is almost two years now. Had general idea in mind, was planning to go with Ikea. Few days ago we walked into Home Depot just to look at cabinets, and they happen to have what I wanted on sale with some additional discounts, but - sure enough - we have to decide by Sunday, that's when promotion ends. The designer at HD worked with me on layout, but I keep thinking there are some better ideas out there, which just are not coming to my limited mind :) I desperately need thoughts on how to make this kitchen work.

I will post a floor plan that HD designer had done for us, I've added the rest of the living room to it ( not exactly up to scale, but pretty close). Sorry for my ugly Paint job, no time to make it look nice lol :). Also a perspective pic is below. I'm planning to get high gloss white door fronts, butcher block counter top. Single sink. Have no idea about what tile to choose with it - any suggestions?

The house is small, inexpensive, and older, so one of our priorities is low budget, because this is just not the dream house or dream kitchen for us. Another priority is cramming dishwasher in there. And not putting the sink in the corner. There is currently a partial wall between kitchen and living room, we are planing to remove it and just leave a section wide enough to cover the fridge, this will give us enough space to have a dining table kind of half-way in the kitchen, half-way in living room. Also there is a baseboard heater by one of the walls, we cannot remove that thus the gap between cabinets and the wall. Those are the main limitations. Ideally, I would like the stove to be as far away from the dining table as possible, but we could only come up with this location.

I do understand that options of layout are extremely limited in such a small kitchen, but what I have now just doesn't look good enough, even though I'm not aiming for perfect or even close to it. May it's just a pressure of having to get it now b/c of a nice price. May be I just have to accept it is what it is. Please help with your thoughts!

By the way, price for all this Kraftmaid cabinets will be around $3500 (only cabinets, no counter tops included). It's less than what I would have to pay for similar ones at Ikea, plus instead of us driving to Ikea ( 3.5 hours drive) and assembling it ourselves (they told us we'll have over 300 boxes to open and put together) this comes to the house assembled. So I am motivated to get this by Sunday.

Comments (20)