SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doran_33

Opening Family Room and LIving Room

Sara
8 years ago

Hello! I have started planning a project to partially open my family room to my living room. We love to entertain and with a closed off living room it will just be a wasted space.

I had a designer friend layout an option for me, but I have had a couple of contractors come in and they have different ideas so I am really struggling with how to move forward. I have inserted pictures of the two rooms as well as the initial design. We just moved in and really haven't done much with the space yet. Here is what I am struggling with....

- What type of opening should I do?

• a centered 8 foot opening?
  • 5’
    interior French door unit along with two 2’-6” side stationary panels
  • two 5 foot openings with wall space inbetween where I can put our TV vs.putting it over the fireplace
  • Or two openings about 4-5 foot in size with wall space in the middle to put my TV vs. moving it over the fireplace.

My other issue is that I don't have enough closet space. Initially we planned to remove the closet between my kitchen and family room to open it up a bit and then add a closet in the living room. What are your thoughts on this? One person suggested doing the two openings and then the new closet would be flush against the opening with the closet.

One thing to note is that the wall is load bearing and we have had a structural engineer in to assess it. All of our HVAC also runs through that wall so we are adding new AC and heating units into our attic to make two zones. Of course all of the paneling will come down and the hardwood floors will be stained to match etc.

Thank you for your advice!!!

Sara

Comments (4)