SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Fireplace in dining room ok if cased open to family room?

bridget helm
10 years ago

Hi. I don't want to hang our TV over the mantle, so we were going to have 2 feet wall space 5'8" builtin ent center, 6 foot mantle, 5'8" built in, 2foot wall space. I was going to drop the ceilings and fill in the space above the built ins with wall so that it was all flush with the wall above the fireplace. See the sketch below.

But the architect thinks we should just lose the fireplace all together since I told him that we rarely use the fireplace in the house we are living in now. (We are in South Louisiana- not very cold). He thinks we should have a window nice builtin entertainment center then another window.

But I worry about resale, so I thought of putting a ventless fireplace in the formal dining room. It would be pretty there and it's open to the den by a wide cased opening. Would that be weird? Also, the overall depth of the firebox I would use 27" so we would lose that space in the space in dinjbg room. But I think it would be ok. We have a 5 foot round pedestal table and the current interior dimensions of dining are 13 by 13. Putting the fireplace would make it 11x 13. That's ok, right? Ill post a pic of floor plan next

Here's the specs of firebox. We would use the 36" opening
http://firerock.us/fireplaces/fireplace-products/indoor-fireplaces/vent-free/

Comments (13)