SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Succulent Leaf "Windows"

ewwmayo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Long ago in biology, I learned about why leaves are green and how plants convert light energy to chemical energy. However, they never taught me about how much photosynthesis actually takes place inside leaves!

I wanted to share some photos I have taken to show off this very fascinating (and often beautiful) trait.

The orientation of cells within leaves is very important for boosting photosynthesis, allowing for light to travel 'deeper' into the plant, increasing the available surface area. This also enables plants to maximize utilization of the entire light spectrum, not just red and blue.

Often times they are tiny looking like tiny dots until light hits at just the right angle (far left side):

Other times, they are more like 'skylights', rather than windows (middle):

These ones actually look like windows!

Or are these more window-like?

This is easily one of my favourites:

But what about plants with opaque tops like Lithops? Well, they're not really that opaque after all!

Here is a composite image where I have shone a very bright light into the top of the leaves, which lights up the entire plant (fascinating!). I actually used a white light shining into the Lithops for the photo, so it's interesting that the reflected light is yellow.

It's a big challenge to photograph with the 'Lithops technique', but I might try it with my other plants.

If you at least own a plant like one of these, try it with a small flashlight!

Comments (18)