SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Testing photo uploading again

User
8 years ago

I am trying the Apple support forums for advice on failure of my iMac to point to the Photos Library when I try to upload photos as part of a post here on GWeb/Houzz.

Let's see how it goes.

This photo shows Joseph and Travis installing the brackets and the 12" deep 12' long shelves wall to wall in my bedroom. The old doorway (behind Joseph's red shirt) was walled off from the hall to enable this. The wall standards are heavy duty commercial grade, as are the brackets. The shelving has a 1" board across the front length to help stiffen it to support heavy text and history books. No part of the shelving reaches the floor, which helps preserve the feel of size in the room. I have big baskets to hold my magazines and newspapers and maybe dog toys down there on the floor.

The Norwell lights are the same used in the kitchen (those were brushed nickel, these are bronzed and were cheaper and also easier to get). The lights are on a dimmer switch on the wall, hardwired of course.

So, I tell Tamara that I found the solution to my Apple photo upload problem. :)

Comments (18)

• dekeoboe
    8 years ago

I can see your photo, and I use a Macbook, so what is the solution?

User thanked dekeoboe
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi DekeOboe, for me the solution was to "scroll down" to the Media portion of the lefthand panel on the screen AFTER you click the "Photos" button beneath the typing box on Houzz forums. You pick "Photos" and look for your Photo Library, and scroll until you find the photo you want. Highlight it, and press CHOOSE and then the little busy circle starts working to place a visible photo on the screen.

I was quite pleased to discover that I did not have to adjust the MB sizes of my photos, just not "choose" a RAW file. After it is uploaded and posted, the person viewing it has the option to click and to enlarge the photo.

I discovered my question was answered previously on the Apple support forums. Once I formulated my question, the search provided several options in the search results, and the one about posting photos to forums did the trick. Of course, I became distracted from my primary purpose once I arrived at the support site, and spent a good hour browsing through numerous forums. I made note of the following two spots:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

and

....../pctomac

I will also note that help came from Tamara, who is tech support for GardenWeb here on Houzz.com (even though my problem was not from the GW end).....To connect with Tamara directly, use the email GardenWeb@Houzz.com when you need help with GW issues these days. She migrated over with GW when the sites merged.

DesertSteph, Tamara offered to help you with photo problems if you contact her.

Not that the post requires a photo, but JUST BECAUSE I CAN, I'm dropping one here. Represents the construction of the "peninsula" cabinets, which faces the back window wall in the new build part of the kitchen. It is 7 foot long, Silestone top, and the portion extended past the wall is same as the bar at the dining room end of the cooking area. The big blank hole is where two wide rollouts for my baking supplies reside now. You can see how the range hood is mounted, the stainless backsplash for the Bertazzoni is mounted, and the range is ready to slide into place. Also note, the front and back walls of the original kitchen part were almost totally removed, more or less, but I wanted headers added to mark the original structure. I like the look. At the bar, which was located at the old dining room doorway, I felt a cased opening was appropriate. But by the peninsula, that opening terminates the wall and would have interfered with fitting countertops if it had been cased out. The architect wanted to have a raised shelf between the two countertop materials, but I wanted continuous, so the stainless and the Silestone simply butt together. No complications, no obstructions. It works for me.

From this angle, can you tell the old kitchen was only 8 foot wide? The range is 24" and cabinets each side are 36". I located the bar just right to make it easier for the stainless countertops to be fabricated precisely. Drawer fronts are missing here...just the drawer boxes are in the cab.

• Related Discussions

Testing GW Uploader

Q

Comments (42)
    Yes, he (8 yrs) took over my vegetable garden with Empress in it, has also now dwarf apple and cherry trees, loves to bring in the vegetables to his Mama. He also has Stiletto and Blue Cadet. Possibly I will show him hosta hybridizing, he loves science. I have don R's book now. My grandfather taught me gardening in summer vacations. Bernd
    ...See More

testing again for photo

Q

Comments (1)
    There is a Test forum where you can experiment. You have to choose the third line from Photobucket menu and insert it into your post. This line is for HTML code.
    ...See More

Testing photo upload

Q

Comments (10)
    Hope you don't mind if I also do a test with my iPad. Weeeeee, the picture shows in preview! Ah, interesting, it wasn't there when I previewed after adding the last comment and I had to choose file again. Good to know but will I remember the next time I add a photo to a post? Maybe I should post photos everyday to train myself. Edited to correct a typo. This post was edited by hhireno on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 8:15
    ...See More

Photo Upload Testing

Q

Comments (67)
    With Windows XP you can resize your pics by right clicking on the pic, go to Send To and select Mail Recipient... You will then have the option of making your pic smaller... It will come up as an Attachment in an e-mail... From there you can drag the Attachment to another folder or your desktop then delete the e-mail. If you are using your cell phone to take pics to post on the internet make sure you turn off your GPS first !!!... There are bad people out there who can retrieve the GPS coordinates from the pic and find out just where the pic was taken, down to the room in your house! Hugs, Rita
    ...See More
  • Debbie B.
    8 years ago

Yay! Glad you found the solution!

User thanked Debbie B.
  • dekeoboe
    8 years ago

Thank you

User thanked dekeoboe
  • stringweaver
    8 years ago

I love your peninsula cabinets. What a terrific workspace.

User thanked stringweaver
  • Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

I LOVE the way you seamlessly joined the old with the new and made it look like it was always that way. You really had some down the road vision here.

User thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • Wendy
    8 years ago

This is a great project. Are there previous threads? Links?

User thanked Wendy
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gee-whiz, I know there are previous threads.....to quote Miz Scarlett, "Fiddle dee dee, I'll think about that tomorrow." Because it is after midnight already, and my brain is sort of fuzzy. It is like someone once told me, you forget the objective was to drain the swamp when you're knee deep in alligators. And I know I had something I simply HAD to do before I turned off the BIGiMAC and went to bed.

It is so GOOD to look at all the various names of folks posting on the forum and to realize you all are contributing to returning Smaller Homes to a refreshed vitality. Wonderful! See you tomorrow.....I mean, in the morning..:)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

That looks really nice, moccasin. We have several uncased openings between the kitchen and other rooms--they work even though the original openings would probably have been cased. I've considered casing them, but I've come to appreciate the simplicity.

User thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • scone911
    8 years ago

Would it be o.k. if I used this thread to test an upload? I'm having trouble getting my software to recognize a jpeg and place it on Houzz, and I'm not sure exactly where the problem is. TIA.

User thanked scone911
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Scone, go right ahead. There used to be a special place to do things like this, but I lost track of it after GW was enfolded by Houzz.

Yes, MamaGoose, having the opening uncased seemed the best thing to do where the peninsula and the cooking countertops came together around the corner of that opening. Having to fiddle with the stainless steel countertop meeting the quartz was not going to be easy otherwise. And, it is clean looking.

Where the bar is located, that opening is cased. But, the casing begins at the top of the quartz, which slides back to the wall. It is adequately supported and the bar was built completely to the wall which is perpendicular to the bar. Actually the bar is on the dining room side but the countertop extends a little into the kitchen to have a small overhang above the stainless countertop. The stainless had an upward curved flap (a small radius no seam to clean or seal) to hide the gap between the two countertop materials. I'll attach a photo. somewhere to illustrate what I mean.

• scone911
    8 years ago

Thank you, Moccasin! So let's see if this works. These 2 pics are the Cape Cod plans I'm working on. I used the snipping tool to capture them, then saved as a jpg. Here goes nothing:

Second floor

First floor

User thanked scone911
  • Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

Scone I can see the lay out but can not read the words. I believe that could be my fault not yours. Looks good. Is the pass through room from garage to kitchen enclosed or just covered by house above? Either way I am LOVING that space. Is The master bedroom in bottom right corner of first floor? Nice entry with closets to room and entry. I also really like the open area from kitchen dinning room family room. THEN Formal living room. I could move into this in a heart beat.

User thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • Wendy
    8 years ago

I like that floor plan.

We have masters on the main here, both in older small craftsman and in much larger new builds. Mine is not, because I live in a multi-level. While my master opens onto the main, which is unusual, it is seven stairs up to the master landing.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Scone, I think that is a classic plan. Very similar to the Cape that my spouse lived in for 43 years, and which grew with the family. I loved living up there for the couple of years that we were going back and forth between there and Alabama. I think the Cape is a very adaptable plan, and you've made some wise choices.

Since you know the photo works, your plans deserve their own thread where you will be able to combine all the responses, and folks can find it with a search. We'll all drop in to your place/thread and have a cuppa tea together, okay? :) If that doesn't bring LavenderLass out I don't know what will! She loves tea. :)

• scone911
    8 years ago

Thanks! I'm kind of ambivalent about starting a thread on this.* But that's not why I posted them, I'm having tech issues. I sent these pics to my prospective builder, as jpegs in-line in an email, and they appear to him as large black blocks. When he clicks on them, nothing happens. But I can see them in my "sent" email, and when I click on them, they open in a new, larger window.

And of course, all of you seem to see the pics just fine. So I don't know what's going on. I can't seem to receive any emails from him either, even though I receive other emails. I suspect my earthlink and his yahoo are having some sort of security issues with each other, but I'm still researching.

* ETA: I'm not sure I'm up for a full-blown design feedback thread right now, although I surely appreciate the kind words very much. It takes a lot of energy, and at the moment all heck has suddenly broken out here at scone central. Can I say maybe later on that?

And I've already promised to start another thread, although I can't remember what it was supposed to be about! Brain not work.

Oooh, hang on, I just had a coherent thought for once! I'm going to send these jpegs to my DH at work, and see if he has the same problem the builder is having.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ETA: I just got an email from DH saying he thinks he's fixed it. Here's what he says, in case anyone runs into this issue:

Your email problem should now be fixed. There was a configuration problem on your account – there was a forward to “loop”. My old yahoo accounts seem to have gone away so I can’t test by sending from one of those. I have also upgraded the amount of storage you get
    on the server so that there won’t be any problem even sending/receiving
    really big files.

scone here. Hopefully that gets the job done. It's odd, though, because Houzz didn't have any problem with the size of these files. I have no idea what "forward to loop" means.

User thanked scone911
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Scone at Scone Central! I know the feeling of cannot remember what I had intended to do as to subjects. Or lists. Or projects. I'm guilty of seeing a button on a computer screen, and poking it. And I suppose curiosity killed the cat, because I wind up with unexplained consequences, or maybe unexpected disconnects somewhere else. Hope DH has fixed your problem so your potential builder can respond.

And I am reminded that I was planning to make a batch of scones today!

I have a great saying courtesy a friend of mine: "When you're knee deep in alligators, it's hard to remember the plan was to drain the swamp." :)