SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Do you use a brush dryer?

Funkyart
8 years ago

I am losing patience with my hair-- as I've shared many times before, I have very straight, very fine hair. Lots of it-- but it's baby fine. I usually dry it with a large round brush. I am considering trying a brush dryer -- not looking for curl. I am looking for volume, root lift and maybe a little bend and movement. How do you use yours? Does it hold all day for you?

Do you recommend one brand over another? And what size roller? (i am leaning towards the 2" brush-- is that too big for shoulder length hair?)

Do you use product? I haven't had great experience with products-- most weigh down my hair. I currently use a vitamin spray that adds some shine (I think it is pureology).

Comments (46)

• chibimimi
    8 years ago

I have used a brush dryer, but after my last one died, I did not replace it. Here's my take on it: Even though it was supposed to be a dryer, it really did not dry well. My hair is fine and not terribly thick or long, so that was not the issue. However, it was great for styling dry hair, especially getting rid of frizzies.

The ones I had were a Revlon and another major name -- cannot remember what.

Funkyart thanked chibimimi
  • bpath
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I, too, have straight, fine hair, but it's shorter, chin-length. I tried a Revlon brush dryer with 1" and 1 1-2" brushes, and it kind of blew the hair right off the brush! 1200 watts, high and low blow and heat settings, and even low was too hot, I couldn't hold it anywhere near my head.

I'm going to go to Ulta and they let you try some of their dryers. Meanwhile I'm back to the regular blow dryer in one hand and a brush in the other. My blow dryer has pretty good heat and power control.

Thanks to an earlier thread, I tried Redken Thickening Lotion 06 and am now on my second bottle :) I also use John Frieda Luxurious Volume shampoo (first a clarifying shampoo to clean from the day before). That routine is really working well for me. I also had good results with John Frieda 7 Day volume, but I kept forgetting to use it once a week.

After, i use Sebastian hairspray, it's light and leaves my hair moveable, yet holds the style.

• Related Discussions

What brush do you use to clean old containers?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey Ginny, You can use anything, besides a wire brush or anything that abrasive that will scratch the plastic. For example, any dish brush or scubby would work great. You will also need to disinfect or wash the container with a mixture of one part bleach to ten parts water, and rise thoroughly.
    ...See More

Brush type hair dryer styler?

Q

Comments (14)
    Previously, I was drying and styling my hair, with my blow dryer in one hand and a large round brush on each section of my hair, like a hairstylist would do, to get my hair nice and smooth. But now, I use my regular blow dryer (without using my round brush) to get about half the dampness dried. Then I use my Revlon brush dyer on 'cool' setting to dry the remaining dampness, while it styles at the same time. Using both appliances still cuts down on how long it used to take me, trying to tug my round brush taut enough to ensure my hair would come out smooth. The Revlon brush dryer can make it smooth in much less time, since I partly dried my hair first and am using it more for styling. I wish it weighed slightly less, as my blow dryer is very light weight, but I really only use if for a few minutes, so it's not that big of a deal.
    ...See More

Revlon One Step hair dryer/hot air brush 50 % off today

Q

Comments (18)
    I haven't met you or seen your photo, Ded.. but sleek, thin, straight is definitely my hair. If i do have volume or wave, it is the result of mega product and manipulation. Ive shared this photo too many times lol.. but it was taken on the day (the only day) I used the revlon brush dryer. No volume, no lift. I do better with my round brush and conventional dryer-- and velcro rollers if i want more volume at the top and sides. It may be that Mtn has more texture in her hair or that she's more adept with the brush dryer than I am. I don't want to slam the product-- just saying that with my single attempt, it didn't do a thing for me. I will give it another go one of these days. Or maybe we need a good old fashioned slumber party so Mtn can do our hair and teach us how to use it!
    ...See More

Do you use an electric tooth brush?

Q

Comments (26)
    I’ve used several brands and have landed on Sonicare as that’s what was on sale at Costco ay the time and so far it hasn’t stopped working. I keep old heads for cleaning, and seeing how much faster and easier it cleans in corners than a regular toothbush leaves little doubt as to its effectiveness on teeth. Like many power tools, you can get the same result without but it’s easier with.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I rarely take recommendations for hair products because what works great for others weighs my hair down-- but I can tell we have similar hair, Bpa.

I have reluctantly started using Sebastian hairspray this last year-- I was a huge fan of their Spritz Forte-- sprayed on my round brush it gave me all day volume. Alas, it was discontinued (but i still have a little bit left!). My biggest complaint with the hairspray is that the sprayer is temperamental. If I drop the bottle, I can pretty much guarantee the sprayer will be shot.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Hi Funky,

This is the one I use. I have fine hair too and it gives me just a little lift.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AOFLFC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I have straight, fine, thin hair that is about chin length and have never used a dryer brush. I did try Pureology shampoo fairly recently. I liked it at first and then they changed the bottle and apparently the formula. Have you noticed your hair being very dry with it? Mine got horribly dry on the ends and was looking very stripped of color. So I went back to Aveda Shampure which I used for years. I also use Aveda Phomollient and their new Thickening Tonic which I love. The tonic really adds some texture to my hair. I spray about 3-5 squirts on my hand and work it into my hair. I've use the Sebastian Shaper Zero gravity hair spray for a long time too.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I have not used one of those dryers, though they remind me of one my mom had 30 years or so ago. It wasn't much on drying. I use a round brush and regular dryer when needed.

I don't generally use any styling products on my hair - they tend to weight down my hair and/or make my scalp itch. That said, it can be hard to get stylists to not use them when I get my hair cut. I don't know the name of it, but Aveda has a product that texturizes hair, didn't weigh my hair down and would seem to help with lift. I got the impression it was a new-ish product. If you have an Aveda salon near by, you might want to call and ask them about it.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I have very straight, very fine, very thick hair. I keep it short--variations of a bob. I occasionally use a very small amount of pomade on it to tame a bit of frizz and style a tiny bit. I do not use any other styling products, because they do seem to just weigh my hair down. All of the volumizing shampoos I have ever tried do the same. I only wash my hair every two or three days, though I wet it down every day

I do not use a hair dryer on a regular basis--maybe a couple of times a year. I let my hair air dry. It takes forever to dry and I lack the patience to deal with it. (New hairdressers invariably comment on how long it takes to dry my hair--when it was long, back when I was in college, it took over six hours to completely air dry--on days I was in an air conditioned building!.). I most often go to bed with it wet. As long as I keep it cut in a short bob, it works quite well.

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I started using one on the recommendation of Mtn and I've been happy with it. If your hair is just washed, I would dry it almost all the way with a regular blow dryer then use the dryer brush to style.

I use mine on dry hair. I wake up with pretty frizzy hair and it definitely tames the frizz. I don't spend a lot of time on my hair, but I do find the dryer brush easier to manipulate than a separate blow dryer and brush.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Glad to hear it JPoanie! I use mine on slightly damp hair. I would never blowdry my hair from a wet stage, seems too harsh to use it for that long.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry for disappearing-- I was watching the final episode of Downton Abbey. :(

Chibimimi.. thanks for sharing your experience. I am not as keen on something I'd use after drying my hair. I noticed a lot of the youtube videos also started with mostly dry hair.

Mtn.. how do you think it compares to a good round brush? And do you use it from wet.. or do you use it after your hair is mostly dry?

Outsideplaying, I actually don't like the pureology shampoo.. mostly because of the musky scent but I never found it worked well enough to stick with it. I do use the pureology conditioner but I think you may be right about the formula. It isn't doing as good a job. I used to LOVE aveda but I haven't used it in more than 10 yr. I used the rosemary mint -- but it wasn't the right formula for my hair and it dried my hair out. I just loved the scent. I think I'll give their products a try again-- but the right ones this time. Lascatx, are you using any of the products Outside mentioned?

Crl, I have never been able to use a pomade -- they're just too heavy and they make my hair look limp and dirty. It sounds like your hair may be thicker than mine. I absolutely cannot let my hair dry on its own--it will just form to my head.

I have a hair appt on Saturday. I think I may go a little shorter and try some of the products you all have suggested before adding another appliance (and 20 min to my morning routine).

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Funky, the Shampure has no sulfates, and I think that is what makes many shampoos bad for your hair, especially as we age. The Phomollient is a mousse and I use about 2 pumps and run it through my wet hair with my fingers. Sometimes that's all I use, as it provides a little bit of volume and makes your hair really shine. Then I use the Thickening Tonic. That's probably the one Lascatx is talking about too because it's only been out about a year or maybe less. You'll probably have to experiment a little bit with how much to use, depending on your hair length & thickness. Aveda also has a Volumizing Tonic but I think it makes my hair too stiff. I let my hair air dry while I put on a little make up, then I dry with a round brush. I use a dryer (Chi Pro) with one of those cool-down buttons. Seems to help by avoiding all the highest heat.

Over the past few years I've experimented with several other shampoos and a few other products (and spent a fair amount of $$) but keep coming back to Aveda. It seldom goes on sale but a few salons do have a sale day a few weeks before Christmas and offer 10% off. And there is a rewards program of course but I never seem to keep up with it very well.

• terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

Great, something else I'm tempted to buy. ;-)
    Now I've got to go to Ulta to check out air brushes.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Funky,

I never blow dry my hair from the wet stage. I do everything else I need to do ... makeup, clothes, catch up on Gardenweb, and blow dry it when it is damp. My reasoning is that dryers are harsh so it is better to limit the time used. I also find I get maximum lift if I start with damp hair.

I do use a product to protect my hair from heat damage, it also makes my hair smoother and shinier. It is overpriced but it helps that I love the scent (passion fruit maybe?). It is by Kerastase.

http://www.kerastase-usa.com/ciment-thermique/CTH0000.html?cm_mmc=cpc--googlePLA--Kerastase%20-%20Shopping_Products%20-%20All-_-kw%3A%20#

• User
    8 years ago

I would avoid the brush dryers. I used to use velcro rollers to smooth out the curl in my fine hair until I noticed that my hair was breaking off a few inches from the roots. Now I won't wrap it around any type of roller.

Has anyone found that the type of brush makes a difference in making your hair smoother or giving it more body? I've been using the same Avon vent brush for thirty years!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

One thing I like about the brush I linked to is that you can retract the bristles by pushing a button, which reduces tangles and strain. It also has a cool air option.

For the health of one's hair, no heat at all is best. But ...

I forgot to answer Funky. I don't know about using a round brush. I was never coordinated enough to hold a dryer in one hand and brush in another.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

That is true, Mtn. The less heat the better for your hair. I guess I feel the same way about the brush/dryer thing. I don't think I'd be coordinated enough to use one of those and end up with my hair all in a tangled mess. I just section off my hair with a brush and go, so it would likely be the same process, no?

• User
    8 years ago

I've ordered a brush dryer after reading this. I use a dryer and round brush to control and style my curly/frizzy hair.

I'm excited to try it! I remember using on ages ago, but that had a flat-ish brush, so this should be in improvement.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I love vent brushes! Mine was perfect for everything when my hair was short, but since it's shoulder length, I've had to resort to using a round brush for some things. I still prefer the vent for lifting at the roots.

I've always thought of my hair as very ordinary, medium texture and thickness, but everyone tells me I have a lot of hair. I think many of them come from a thin hair perspective. If I don't blow dry at all, or sit in the sun, the back of my hair can take 4-5 hours to dry. I would never try to blow dry while it was wet. It would take forever, and yet my stylist does it all the time.

I find it very easy to get tangles when using a round brush. I would NEVER use a heated brush, because what are you gonna do when you get a tangle and you've got heat/forced air and electricity inside it?

I think the right product(s) and knowing when to stop with the applied heat or air is the way to go.

• always1stepbehind
    8 years ago

http://www.target.com/p/conair-ionshine-dryer/-/A-10434299

What about something like this? I've used this type for years. It's easier than trying to manage the dryer and brush at the same time.

One other thing to try when using a regular dryer and round brush, try medium air flow and medium heat. I have VERY frizzy hair and I've noticed when I've use the lower setting my hair comes out smoother and shiny.

• amj0517
    8 years ago

I haven't read all responses yet, but have you tried a different blow dryer? I always thought that professional dryers were hype, but when I finally got one my hair looked like I had it blown out professionally. My MIL has fine hair and she swears that her hair always looks best when she is at my house and uses my dryer. First she thought it was my product, but when she tried it at home her hair wasn't as good. Then she came over again and used my dryer... Voila! Great hair again!

This is similar to my dryer:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod2500125

• Oakley
    8 years ago

Bp, thanks for the heads up on the Redken lotion. I just ordered the last bottle from Amazon, and I get the feeling people ordered it due to this post, even though they didn't reply to it.

Great ratings. After I wash my hair, I part it, and style the sides by hand and then use hair spray around crown...while hair is still wet.

I then blow dry my hair holding my head upside down. That will give a nice lift to the hair. I've never hurt my hair by blow drying while still wet. This way I don't have to do much styling, pretty much wash and wear.

If the ends are still damp what I do is use my round brush to turn them under and put a little spray on them.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions and experiences!!
    I think my definition of fine may be different than some of you. I *never* have to worry about tangles-- or frizz. My hair is just too soft and fine to hold a tangle.. or frizz. I can get split ends-- but that's something very different.

I am very comfortable with my round brush and dryer-- actually, I use two different sizes of round brushes. One to dry-- and one to lift a a few extra pieces at the end. I use a pretty large brush for all over drying. I use a vent brush when my hair is wet or dry.. but not for drying. My hair literally slips out of it when I am drying.

I do dry from damp-- but it's a very small window LOL. If I let it go too close to dry, I won't get any lift at all. I must dry it in the opposite direction it grows to get the lift from the root.

The single best thing I can do to add body is to color it. It's always much better for the few weeks after a salon visit. I have been tempted to go more frequently-- but have balked because of the cost and because I don't want it to get too blonde (and I loathe low lights.. they just seem so dull). I currently schedule every 6-7 weeks-- so I'd have to dip to 5.

I am going to try a few of the products above. It sounds like the roller brush won't do much more than my round brushes do... and I don't really want to add another appliance to the mix.

Another thing that has brought this all to a head is that I walk about 5 blocks from the garage to my office. It can get VERY windy there so I lose a lot of the work I've done in one big gust. I suppose I could wrap my hair in a scarf.. but I am not sure I am ready for THAT look just yet. ;)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am trying to narrow down to a few choices... a few questions..

Outsideplaying - do you recommend using both products (foam and tonic) at the same time? I think I'd like to try them individually.. and maybe give one a try first. Seems you are raving about the tonic but I like the idea of the foam.. partially because of the shine.

Mtn.. this is a leave in conditioner? or a treatment on top of conditioner?

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Yes, most days I use both products. But sometimes I use just the Phomollient, which is a bit like a mousse.

If it gets really rainy and windy, my hair will just be flat, no matter what I do. So no sense spending much time or product on it. I try to get as much lift and movement with the round brush, not use too much hairspray and roll with it.

I agree with Mtn, that for a couple of weeks after I get a little color, the volume seems at its best. Of course, my hair is also a bit shorter, so less hair to drag it down too.

• Oakley
    8 years ago

Funky, one thing that helps with volume is not using cream rinse above the ends of your hair. There are times I don't use cream rinse at all, and for static I lightly spray my hair after it's dry.

A cold water rinse after washing helps shine and oil at the scalp.

My hair seems to get finer the older I get. Is this normal?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't use cream rinse at all. I do use a conditioner-- but i use it everywhere but the crown. I've also used a cool rinse since I was a teen.

I don't always use hairspray-- but when I do, it's on a brush while drying/styling.. or a little blast underneath when I lift with fingers. I rarely use it as a top finish.. I just don't like the feel.. and like Mtn, I want the movement. That's one of the advantages of fine hair-- it moves easily.

Mtn, I also had to come to peace with my hair years ago. I never sought the "texas big hair" but I did a lot of crazy things to get a look-- and none of them ever held very long! I gave up perms in my teens.. and somewhere in my early 30s, I gave up the curling iron and embraced my straight hair.

The crazy thing is that most of my family has thick curly hair. My youngest sister has natural spiral curls.. only her daughter, my mother and I have the very fine, very straight hair. All my nieces wear messy buns-- and I love them! I love the messy look in general. I will wear one around the house-- but my hair is just a little short for it. It's more like a messy ponytail stub LOL. I have also worn a little beaver tail ponytail. That probably would work for windy days!

I guess I am not looking for actual volume as much a little well placed lift and swoop. They lift helps with the swoop and movement. I can tease a little at the back of the crown and in a middle row- it doesn't really hold but it seems to help encourage the swoop.

Just this morning I ordered the aveda and keratase products. I am going to give them a try and then chill a little. I know I sound obsessed with appearance between the makeup and hair threads. That's so misleading. You'd see me on the street and wouldn't think-- "wow, she's perfected that look!". I am not going for a "finished" look most days. I really seek a natural, easy look.. but even still, it's anything but natural or easy hahaha.

Oakley, I don't think the nature of your hair changes with age. I mean the width of the shaft is determined genetically. I do know that the texture and quantity can change with age. Also, products change-- the coloring products from the 90s were much harsher than they are now. I still don't have much (or any) gray hair.. but I am told that gray hair has a different texture. I do have a bad thyroid and that has definitely had an effect on my hair.. so that was a long way of saying, I am not surprised that your hair has changed with age but I don't think it gets more fine.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One last tip.. I have had great luck with velcro rollers in the past. Big thick ones at the crown. I don't get curl-- just a little lift and movement. I put them in when my hair is damp, blast them with the dryer and then let them cool in place for another 5-10 min (I'll do my makeup or grab a cup of coffee with them in). I never had an issue with breakage-- but they do seem to work best when my hair is chin length or a little longer (about where it is now). They don't work as well at shoulder length.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

After I posted last night, I thought, oh boy we sound really obsessed with hair and are really making this sound more complicated than it is in real life! I hope the products work out for you so keep us posted.

A couple of other thoughts about the thickening tonic. Be sure to shake it. I forgot the first few times I used it and had not read the directions. My stylist sprays it directly on my hair but I find it easier to spray it on my hands and work it thru my hair. If I try to spray it I seem to get it in one spot. It will probably take a few applications to figure out how much to use for your hair. I started out with 3 but decided 4-5 sprays is really about right for me.

• Oakley
    8 years ago

I always say cream rinse instead of conditioner. I have conditioner but rarely use it. So what is the difference? I thought cream rinse also conditioned hair. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen the words "Cream Rinse" on bottles anymore, they're all conditioners.

It's the texture of my hair that's changed. Probably a bit thinner, but I always had thick hair so it's not a problem, but it's finer, which makes curl hard to stay put when I use the curling iron on the ends.

Using hair spray - except on windy days, I only use just a little spray at the ends to keep the curl in, and for styling the crown area when it's wet before I blow dry. It really helps!

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Oakley, it took me ages to stop calling it "cream rinse." :)

I have been buying Paul Mitchell Fast Drying Sculpting Spray by the liter for years. I keep waiting for it to stop working, but it's been true. I spray it on wet hair after I wash it, comb it into place, and let it air dry for at least 2 hours. It gives my hair some shape before blow drying. It never gets sticky, stiff or builds up. Comb through it, and hair is soft and smooth. But I can spritz with a little plain water, scrunch, and restyle.

• localeater
    8 years ago

Funky, like you I have lots of fine hair. I always colored for body but decided to go gray last year. I use Aveda styling products as others suggested. There is the brown bottle line, Thickening Tonic, etc. There is the green bottle line, Pure Abundance. I like the green one! Am on a business trip right now and that's all I brought with me and my hair is looking great.

I used to use phomollient, I love the way it smells, but Pure Abundance works better with less blow drying for me.

I also use light control air whip if I want lots of volume. My stylist taught me that you don't take a dab and then use, after you have a dab on the fingertips of one hand you then activate it by clapping hands together then apply. That stuff and a few seconds of blow dryer with my fingers and I am set. It's a different look though. I have short hair and style different ways, work and play.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Localeater! I did end up getting both the green and the brown bottle of Aveda. I don't remember why I didn't get the foam. I think it sold out and was removed from my cart?

I am a little frustrated with myself-- I bought all products that go on after shampoo/conditioner and before drying. Kind of overkill. I think I will benefit from the nourishing/treatment base of keratase.. and the shine/lift/volume from the avedas but I really should have singled out 1 or 2 to try first. Especially since I have a cupboard full of post-wash products.

I was always told cream rinse and conditioner were two different things. Cream rinse primarily a detangler.. conditioner for nourishing. Perhaps they morphed into one?

• jlj48
    8 years ago

Funkyart I have the same hair as you. It is fine and would be incredibly flat without my efforts. It goes a bit past my shoulders. For me, what works best is to get my hair highlighted with color and bleach about every 4-5 months. If the texture and color is driving me crazy but I'm not ready for a salon visit, I will apply a color at home that is a wash out in 6 weeks color. It will blend with what I have. I'm starting to have some gray and I'm not ready for all over saturated color that would show dramatic roots in 5 weeks. The highlights give my hair teeth, something for my products to hang onto and it improves my hair. Honestly, I'm pretty low maintenance. I keep my bangs long and trim them on my own very little about once a month. I agree with the suggestion to NOT use conditioner above my ears, it will weigh it down. However my fine hair will break, so I have to be careful with appliances. About once a week I put heavy hair repair conditioner or coconut oil on the ends for a few hours or overnight then wash out. I also like those spray on heat protectants for the ends of my hair if I'm going to use a straightener or curling iron. I sometimes use it with blow drying as well.

I get what you say about that window of time to dry it. I will have to rewet it if I wait to long. I like to comb it out and air dry while I dress and put on a little make-up. Then I apply a very small amount (pea size) drop of gel and scrunch it in and let it set a few minutes. If I want to go straight, I use my wide tooth comb and blow dry. Lately I've enjoyed wavy. This part still amazes me: If I point my blow dryer while squeezing my hair in my hand it goes curly or wavy, depending on how long I hold the squeeze! Dry and squeeze, slight tease in back at the roots, a bit of hairspray and I'm done. The whole thing takes about 5 minutes.

• Oakley
    8 years ago

I love the Redken lotion! Redken Thickening Lotion

It came in the mail on Friday and I washed my hair immediately. When I woke up this morning my hair felt like it was freshly shampooed. It definitely feels thicker and the lotion gives just enough lift on top where the hair doesn't lay flat. The texture is very soft.

I didn't use conditioner, left the towel on my head for about 10 min., then gently rubbed with the towel. I used a medium size dollop and began at the roots and worked down as far as I could go, which didn't really cover the ends. I blow dryed with my head upside down. 5 stars.

Funky, when you put the roller on, where do you put it? I'm guessing at the top and rolling it backwards from the face.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had the redken lotion in my cart but I ended up going with the aveda products (i've loved the ones I used in the past) and the keratase for some extra care for my color treated hair. The brown tonic has arrived.. still waiting on the others. My stylist whispered to me that she loves the tonic (this salon doesn't carry aveda-- but one of her prior salons did). She said to do just as OP suggested-- start with a little bit then work up to the right amount.

I had my hair done yesterday and the difference in volume is substantial.. as always. She took the length up just a bit this time.. when I checked, it had only been 5 weeks since my last appt but it had just gotten too long to hold any lift at the crown. I can't carry any kind of length if i want volume too... so I am just a little above chin length now (no layers in front-- but it is slightly stacked in back)

My stylist also mentioned the velcro rollers-- which I'd already ordered. She uses them on dry hair but I swear she's the one who told me to use them in damp hair. She said to heat my hair with the blower, roll them, spray them and then let them cool in place. I'll try both methods but I know it worked well from damp.

Oakley, no, I don't roll backwards. I use them at the crown rolling them parallel to my part. I lift straight up and roll under. I think I was doing 2-4 on the sides and one in the back. I am not going for curl-- only lift. I use the very large rollers (2"). They do give me just a little swoop and movement which I love. My hair is quite a few inches shorter than yours-- with longer hair, you might be able to do your front also.

Jlj. I am intrigued by how you get wave-- do you have wave in your hair naturally? Luckily I don't have a problem with breakage but I am always cautious about taking care since it is color treated.

• jlj48
    8 years ago

Funkyart, no not really. If I let it dry naturally, it's straight, and oh so flat. It is more fine around my face so maybe that's why I can't get a quick wave

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wanted to stop back and thank you all for your recommendations and to thank Mtn and Outsideplaying specifically for their recommendations for the Keratase and Aveda Thickening tonic. I waited a few weeks to report back when my color wasn't so fresh.. and because I had the flu/virus and wasn't fussing with my hair much. Through that time though, I noticed that my hair was much easier to work with and that it looked healthier.. most importantly, it had sufficient body that I didn't NEED to fuss with it much. They are both working very well for me.

I knew it looked better and was easier to work with but today a stranger let me know that others see it too! We both walked into the building at the same time today -- a wildly windy day. As we got on the elevator, we were joking about the weather and I said I don't even know why I bothered to fix my hair.. "oh no, your hair looks great. I watched it as I walked behind you. I saw the wind lift it and whip it around.. and then you walked in the door and it fell right into place and looks great!" What a surprise! And a few weeks ago, it would have looked totally wind worn after walking the few blocks into the building. I thank you all for the difference!

• bpath
    8 years ago

Funkyart, thanks for the update...and you must be happy you can go out in the wind and still look fab!

Question about the Velcro rollers: you said you roll, then spray. What do you spray on them? And it works from dry, straight hair? Mine is shorter than chin length which is good for the "lift".

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Funkyart, I am so glad you are happy with the Aveda thickening tonic and the way your hair is 'behaving'. Now I may have to also try the kerastase too. I was wondering about you the other day, so glad you have reported back. Sorry about the flu!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ha! Well, so soon after the flu (and still recovering) saying I look fab is an overstatement-- but still, my hair has looked good!

Outside, I don't remember if you said you colored your hair-- but I think the keratase is the single best product I've tried in years. A small amount makes a real difference in the texture, shine and color of my hair. The thickening lotion along with it is a win-win (though I haven't tried JUST the keratase, I did use the thickening tonic alone for the first few days). It is expensive.. but so is the Aveda product. You use a small amount of both so it's not such a big expense over time.

Bpa, I am sorry. I havent used the velcro rollers yet. I just haven't been up to the fussing. However, as much as I remembered using them on damp/almost dry hair, my stylist said to use them on dry. Her suggestion: use a heat source on the hair (flat iron, curling iron or hair dryer)-- a couple of swipes just to get it warm-- then a spritz of hair spray (more on this in a moment) and roll them up in the velcro roller at the crown. I rolled them so that they sat right on the crown. This is for lift.. hence using the large roller and rolling them right at the crown (vs hanging lower).

My stylist has similar hair to mine except she has some natural wave-- and she doesn't wash her hair daily (I do). I would think this would work great on day 2 when you just fix it and go vs washing/styling.

As for hair spray-- I don't like "hold". It makes my thin hair either not move-- or more likely, it will move in chunks or sheets. Not attractive. Also, I dislike how it feels and smells. I HAVE used sprays on my brush while styling-- but that works completely differently and doesn't sit on the hair like hairspray. OK so all of that is background to explain why I use what I use.. which is a very inexpensive, very light hold hairspray: Sauve. I find that I still get a lot of movement and the spray doesn't dull my natural shine or prevent movement. I think it costs about $2 a bottle and i much prefer it to the much more expensive beauty brands. Also, I find that when my hair is a little longer, I can spray just a little bit of it underneath for a little lift. If I did that with the sebastian shaper or whatever lacquer like crap I bought most recently, I'd have "chunks" of hard hair.

Hope my experiences help others.. I got compliments on my hair again today and let me tell you, I didnt spend more than 10 minutes on it from fully wet to fully dry and styled. I thank the pea size squirt of keratase and four spritzes of aveda thickening tonic. I put both in my hands first.. then finger through my hair. I put the keratase in as soon as I exit the shower. The aveda I put on right before drying.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Yes! your experience helps a lot of people, I'm sure. And yes, I do have my hair colored. Mainly my stylist touches up the roots about every 5 weeks or so and then runs the brush thru some other strands of hair to sort of blend it in. So it's not an overall color each time.

Which Kerastase product are you using? I looked on Amazon yesterday and was a little confused, but I did find a Volumifique Thickening Effect Gel that I think must be the one.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Funky, Glad you have found some good products!

Outside, This is the product I recommended:

http://www.kerastase-usa.com/ciment-thermique/CTH0000.html?cm_mmc=cpc--googlePLA--Kerastase%20-%20Shopping_Products%20-%20All-_-kw%3A%20#

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Thanks, Mtn. Might have to do some experimenting.

BTW, can't wait to hear about your trip to India. Hope you didn't get stuck in Brussels on your way back!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

LOL, thanks, Outside, all went smoothly and it was a fantastic trip. I will post more when I fix my laptop and can D/l photos.

Funky, sorry for hijack

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No worries (ever) on a hijack.. I think of these posts like a quick, ongoing conversation. I am all over the place in real world convos.. so why not here too? LOL (and I am also very excited to hear about your trip).

Outside, yes, I am using the same product that Mtn linked. I don't know that it is intended to add body-- but the combo of the two gives me body, shine and movement. That's the trifecta for me!

I didnt think my hair was "unhealthy" in the least-- but the keratase just gives it an especially healthy look and feel. I can't imagine giving it up!