SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamacat21

Has anyone built a split-level?

mamacat21
8 years ago

Hear me out. :) I cringe when I hear "split-level" because what immediately comes to mind is my grandparents 1950s side-split. That's definitely not what I'm going for.

We bought a half-acre lot in a built-out neighborhood on a cul-de-sac that backs up to a pond. It's a really neat little piece of property with a few fantastic old hardwoods, but it has some challenges. Not the sort of thing you can plop any old design on. The lot is long and narrow, not a regular rectangular, and has a moderate slope with a swale that drains diagonally across. We've spoken to a landscape architecture/civil engineering firm and we intend to hire them. They want a house footprint first.

We've spent some time figuring out what we need, what we like, and what we don't like. I did some sketches and then hired an architect. We are pretty disappointed in the first draft plans he sent. Some other issues we have with the plans aside, the dining room floor would be over 10ft off grade! I don't like that look at all! And we do not want a basement, walk-out or otherwise. I know people love their basements. We spend a lot of time outdoors, so access to and view of the backyard from the main living areas of the house is very important. No basement.

Which got me thinking about a split-level. From the front and back, you probably wouldn't realize it's a split level. The living areas would be half-down (but not at all underground, because of the slope), the entry level would have the master suite, home office, and some utility space, and the half-up upper level would be kids' bedrooms. I'm attaching my sketches so it hopefully makes more sense.

I understand that one huge hesitation people have with splits is the aging factor. We're in our early 30s with young children and we're building this with the intention of it being our forever home. That being said, we've discussed what we'd do if one of us, due to age or injury, were no longer able to navigate the stairs. We both agreed we'd just have to move, that we aren't interested in building for the next 40 years on a what-if scenario, or the last 10-ish years of our lives.

I'd love some GW input before we go back to the architect! Has anyone built a split level in the last, oh, 3 decades? Do you think this can be done without looking dated, modern, or tacky? What do you hate about the idea? Do you see anything that I'm not seeing?

I'm open to almost all suggestions! (Except a basement!)

Comments (30)