SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Follow up: What do you call shoes with the string between the toes?

plllog
8 years ago

Murraysmom got me to thinking in the tennis shoes/sneakers/gym shoes/runners thread... She said her dad called them "Jimmy Go Fasters."

When I was a kid, we wore zoris (English plural of zori, pronounced ZORee, or ZOReez). That's the Japanese name. There was a large local Japanese-American community, and Japan was "in" at the time. Ours were the same basic, rubber beach shoe that everyone else had. Some called them "thongs" (a thong being a strip of leather or other strong material), but most people I knew said zoris. It confused the heck out of me when I heard someone call them "go aheads" when I was 7-8. I was thinking like arrowheads? They sort of looked like that. No, I was told. It's because you can only go "ahead", as in forward, though I can walk backwards in them. :)

Since then, I heard flipflops, which is self explanatory. Then we got the thick, matting covered ones that were known by a name that isn't actually derogatory, but sounds like it, so I don't care to say. Then the thick ones with the grosgrain thongs, which seemed to be called flipflops more popularly than the old style zoris. I think it was because they did a lot more flipping and flopping. There are fashion sandals that have the same configuration, of course, but I would just call those "thong sandals". They're too good for flipfloppery.

What do you call zoris?

Comments (45)