SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john12345678_gw

Need advice how to fix

john12345678_gw
8 years ago

I wanted to get a dedicated line to to install an otr microwave...after removing the range hood of course. When electrician came out, he said I do not need a dedicated line. The current line shares the range hood, dining room light, kitchen light, and ceiling fan/light in living room all on a 15 amp line. So fine, you ask 10 different people, you get 10 different answers about this. He was not to keen about doing it and him telling me he would have to slice up the ceiling for the wiring made me wary also. So I had him just put in an outlet in the cabinet above as the range hood was hard wired.

Then I go out and buy a microwave and follow the instructions to mount it. I plug it in and try the vent fan. It works great. I try to cook something and after 2-3 seconds it shuts off. If it did not work, the electrician said it would just trip the circuit breaker. I check and the breaker has not been tripped. The dining room light and the kitchen light work, but now there is no power to the outlet for the microwave and the living room fan/light does not have any power. The Microwave is a 1000 watt version.

I called the company and the receptionist said to check the gcfi outlets, which I did and still no results. I called again, but cannot schedule an appt since I am working a lot now. I live in the a condo, and from what I can tell, the line comes from the power box to the dining room light (which works), to the kitchen light (which works) to the outlet (which now does not work) then to the dining room fan/light (which now does not work).

Again I checked all the circuit breaker and did flip the relevant one a couple of times. Is there a way for me to figure out what the problem is myself. I mean is it a wire that burned out or maybe it is something else?

Thanks for your time.

Comments (12)