SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

What do you think of this yellow Finn Juhl credenza?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have it in blue and I just love it. I was fortunate enough to get it as a floor sample at significant discount. I want a credenza for under the tv. These are on sale st 15% off with free shipping . What do you think of it in yellow? If I don't get the drawers it will save a lot of money, but I cannot order them later. I really want something yellow. This is a very expensive item so I want to be sure. Thank you!

my current credenza:

Where it would go:my my current credenza:

Comments (39)

• 8 years ago

I'm just curious about what could be so expensive about something that is so simply made. Is it just that this look is in fashion now with younger people? If it's an expensive item I suppose I would consider how long this will be in vogue. On the other hand, if you love it and want it, can afford it and the rest of your furniture goes with it in the yellow color, why not?

rockybird thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

I dont know why it's so expensive! The one I have though is beautiful. I do know they are shipped from Denmark. They are reproductions of the original, which I imagine would sell for 20-30k, maybe more. Possibly they need some sort of license to product them but I am not sure.

• Related Discussions

Finally - my new midcentury credenza!

Q

Comments (56)
    @Lars - thanks! It is a lap pool. I found another store that carries it in the USA. I asked the sales rep if anyone had ever ordered the yellow credenza version and she said yes. She said they have had very good experience with this company (onecollection). danishdesign store I am thinking of ordering the drawers in blue for the matching desk I have when they go on sale. I actually did order them once from dwr on sale, but they arrived smashed. :( This is what my desk looks like (not my desk, but same model). It matches the credenza - same legs and trim: with tray drawers:
    ...See More

What do you not want guests touching in your home?

Q

Comments (120)
    I have always had many, many guests: professional friends who may stay across a weekend, university students who come for a meal, or, in times past, lived at my house. I have pretty things, and I have taught dozens of young women how to take care of porcelain, crystal and silver (no, don't scrub it with a scrubbing pad...). Almost all people are respectful of other people's things and if I see something I don't like going on, I feel very comfortable telling them to cease and desist. If someone's children decide to bounce on the sofa, I just scoop them up and put them somewhere else. The biggest problem for those of us with old furniture that doesn't have bulletproof finishes is water marks. I have to patrol a little bit at a party to make sure people are using coasters and not leaving wet marks on the tables. Same goes for house guests: " make sure you don't put your wet towels on the back of wooden chairs--use this rack instead." I found the comment about books being somewhat private to be the oddest of the odd....I'm of the other persuasion. People with big book cabinets filled with a cookbook or two and a lot of "filler" are weird to me--with the obvious implication that the owners are among of the college-educated persons who, upon graduation, never read another book. What's the percentage? I forgot, but something very high, like 75%.
    ...See More

Which rug do you like best?

Q

Comments (61)
    Love the new rug, and for heaven's sake, just hang the TV and enjoy watching it! It is a nod to the notion that real people live in this room, which I find healthy and refreshing. I love how you have made this space your own with smart decor choices and a welcoming, relaxed vibe. And yes, your new rug IS to die for!!!!
    ...See More

More? Less? Ideas wanted in decorating credenza

Q

Comments (21)
    I'm staying with the rustic modern in the living room. I'm still trying to figure out where to put those darn branches, lol. Maybe over the couch? Still shopping for that. Or perhaps on either side of my double window? Eventually, my next project will be a little 8x11 room I have. Design flow is not an issue since it is off the kitchen with its own door. That room will be beachy coastal. I know it's a no-no to decorate a room so different from the rest of the home but I need a place to escape, lol. I take care of my Mom, she has dementia so since I can never go on vacation, my plan is to bring the beach to me :). Pretty much why I'm trying to incorporate some rustic in my home too. I spend ALOT of time home with her, I miss all aspects of the outdoors-nature: going to the beach, camping, etc. Thank you for the advice.
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

Forgive my ignorance, but I've just now looked up this kind of furniture and can see what we're talking about. Oh my! Your current credenza is very nice but does seem not wide enough for the size of your TV. The yellow would give a bit of shock value to the room but on the other hand you may want that, and it may be a good contrasting color to your floor and table chairs. Can you return it if it doesn't look the way you expected it to? Another consideration would be how something so streamlined and "industrial" would look against that rough stone wall. That would be my biggest worry.

rockybird thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

I'm with Oly. I do love these, but think having two would be one too many.

rockybird thanked Errant_gw
  • 8 years ago

How about the Cross credenza instead? I agree with Olychick that I wouldn't want two of the same pieces even in a different color because it makes them seem less special.

rockybird thanked Fun2BHere
  • 8 years ago

Too matchy matchy. I would hide the TV in a bedroom.

rockybird thanked User
  • 8 years ago

How about this Paul McCobb piece?

• 8 years ago

I wonder how you would balance the TV on that one.....

• 8 years ago

I agree with previous posters that I wouldn't want two 'unique' pieces albeit in different colours within my home. We collect Liberty & similar Arts & Crafts furniture and have a one-off piece we paid £4000 for twelve years ago that was recently valued at £8000, so I understand your attraction to high end, individual designer pieces, although mid-century is not to my personal taste and I certainly wouldn't want another identical piece to mine even if it existed, lol! I can appreciate why you love your wonderful credenza though and would look for something in a similar vein but not identical to hold the tv :)

rockybird thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • 8 years ago

It would need to be mounted to the wall above that piece, Ingrid:)

• 8 years ago

I think it would be gorgeous against that rock wall. I love it.

rockybird thanked peaceofmind
  • 8 years ago

I like the yellow in that room.

rockybird thanked Susan Rawlings
  • 8 years ago

I think it would look great too - & I don't think there's any rule against having 2 similar things that you love = )

rockybird thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • 8 years ago

Argh- I see my reply didnt post for some reason.

Thank you all so much! I am wondering if I keep the doors closed so you cant see the trays, or if I order one without the trays, would that help it look different than my blue one? I totally get that it will diminish the uniqueness of the items and I have to really consider that.

Ingrid-GOod point! I measured the old credenza and it is only an inch wider

Raphaelspanidhwaterdog-that sounds like a nice piece! This credenza wont go up in price. It is not a vintage piece. I am looking for an original arne vodder one with yellow doors, but these are pretty rare and get very expensive.

errant- thank you. I love that mccobb piece. I think I was hoping for something with either white or some color in it.

Fun2bhere-The cross credenza is very nice! I need to think about it, although I was hoping for a different color than wood. I was thinking it would be nice to have something that popped from the wall.

Here are a couple pics showing the relationship of the credenzas:

The new one would go under the tv, the old one is just the saucer lamp:

Another direction: The yellow one would be behind the fireplace wall, out of sight:

• 8 years ago

For fun, here is an arne vodder sideboard. No price listed but doubtless very expensive:

Here is an original finn juhl cabinet (35k!):

• 8 years ago

I'm sure you've seen every yellow mcm piece on the internet already...but here's one (maybe too mustard?) on ebay.

yellow cabinet

How about peach and walnut?

Peach door cabinet

rockybird thanked Olychick
  • 8 years ago

Thanks Olychick!! I've seen that yellow one on ebay before...I think it's a Loewry copy. I really like those, but I still have my heart on the yellow Juhl or a yellow drawered Vodder (which are rare and out of my price range). The only other one I like is Herman Miller Thin Edge Buffet, but I'm afraid there would be too much of the same tone with the rock wall. I still have two weeks until the sale ends, so I guess I have some time to think about it.

Thin edge:

• 8 years ago

Something with a slight Brutelist vibe might look great against that stone and make a great feature.

rockybird thanked just_terrilynn
  • 8 years ago

Thanks justerrilynn! I agree that it would look good...I'm just not a fan of brutalist design. :(

• 8 years ago

Yes, you either love the brut or hate it. This bamboo glow box might not work either but it has a yellow look.

or Google "artist made credenza"...endless cool baby!

• 8 years ago

What if you put the blue one under the TV and got something a little more woody for the dining area? I also think the two pieces are so standout that you probably would do better with something different, but at the end of the day it's your money and you have said for a few months now that you really like the yellow one!

rockybird thanked robo (z6a)
  • 8 years ago

Robo-I thought about that but the striking blue of the credenza against the pool is such a statement when you walk in. It's perfectly framed against the glass pivot door and you can see it from outside too. I am going to consider it though, because maybe I could replace it with the thin edge piece (with white knobs). It would still be a striking piece.

Thanks justerrilynn! That is a pretty piece, but maybe not yellow enough. :)

Here is a pic I found of it with the doors closed. Do you still think it looks similar (I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record!)?

Here is mine:

• 8 years ago

Well, I do like it but would worry about it looking sort of furniture show roomy of a particular credenza maker with have more than one. Sorry.

Edited to add: what are those cool bird things?

• 8 years ago

Rockybird

I am one of the many readers who usually does not post - but this time can't resist.

Can you do a mock up with the Finn Juhl yellow credenza in place? I think you will be every bit as happy with it as you are with the blue one. It belongs against that fireplace wall.

This is one of the many times when I wish Palimpsest was still contributing. He had an understanding of design in so many ways.

Over and over again you show wonderful taste/ideas. I hope you keep posting for me and others like me who enjoy seeing what you have done and are doing in your beautiful home. And I hope that yellow credenza (with drawers) finds a place in your home - seems to me it just belongs in that space.

Back to being a reader :)

rockybird thanked User
  • 8 years ago

I absolutely love that credenza......in EITHER blue or yellow, but not both in the same house. If you use the same piece twice you run the risk of them looking like preschool furniture bought at a school closing instead of the fabulous, high end MCM pieces that they are. Singly.

Your TV den really needs more white or cream, IMO, that will be a calmer counterpoint to all that rocky texture. The yellow color is striking but does nothing for the rock tones of the wall or the rest of your furniture. If I am not mistaken you are looking for a very clean vibe with a lot of space around each piece so it will stand out, with no "color scheme" per se. I get that, but I also know that if you have too many statement pieces or standouts, you dilute the importance of them all. You need some furniture that simply blends in and functions, again, solely my opinion.

Let me say again though that your house is a fantastic example of MCM and you are going about the architectural changes and furnishing it in a very careful and considered way that will result---has already resulted----in a wonderful and liveable space!

rockybird thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Garyoak...Thank you so much!!!! :) I have been scouring the internet, looking for something different from the Juhl credenza, but I cant find anything. All the Arne Vodder credenzas with yellow doors in this price range that I used to salivate over are sold, leaving the highly expensive highly coveted ones (20-35k!). I agree about Palimsest! He is very talented and I would appreciate his input!

LOL When I asked the sales guy about having two similar credenzas, his response was "I dont think you can ever have too much Finn Juhl"

Just terrilynn...they are bird window stickers from Amazon.com. Because of the glass and the numbers of wild birds around here, I have to put them up to keep them from flying into the glass. Last year, I had a baby wild parrot hit my window, stunned. I kept him for two weeks until his family finally returned to the feeder.

Here's some pics of the window stickers. I know they are distracting, but I am used to them now and kind of like them. I'd rather look at the stickers than dead or maimed birds. :(

Stickers:

Baby lovebird:

• 8 years ago

Isn't there a concern about the unit holding the weight of a TV, or is the TV being mounted?

rockybird thanked annztoo
  • 8 years ago

Thanks kswl2. I think we posted at the same time. Okay...I am so torn on this. I totally agree with you about the white. It needs to be something that pops out. I thought yellow would be good too, because I have pops of yellow outside - yellow flowers and the yellow pads on the bertoia chairs. Because of all the glass, the outside yellow is very visible. Maybe I should just wait on ordering it. I could find out when the next sale is and see if I can find something else in the meantime.

annztoo-That is a good thought, but I am not worried about it holding the tv. The blue one is VERY heavy and very solid. I could mount the tv to the wall, but I am not sure that I want to drill a hole in the rock.

• 8 years ago

I know you seem to somewhat of a purist.... but not really, right? I mean you are buying reproductions? I don't mean that in a bad way..just trying to get where you're coming from, rockybird

I don't know how much the one you want costs but have you looked at apt2b.

In the search box put credenze or tv stand. There is a nice looking wood tone one that adds color in the legs.. it comes in that dreamy mint that you like. The Pacific Coast is the name of it. And there are some really, really colorful others.

The colorful Savannah media unit looks an awful lot like yours... in the blue and there is a red with yellow. But I agree with the others... 2 pieces but in different colorway won't look good... in fact, will diminish the existing piece, I think

There is free shipping but return shipping policy says you must inspect at time of delivery and if not satisfied they will take it back.

Don't you have any sources for original MCM pieces? It seems like you pay a very high price would you buy an original and have it shipped? There is a seller not far from me that has MCM furniture all the time... he lists on CL he knows what he posts, but he often has pieces in the 395 range and even cheaper.. some are more... some are sets, he ooten has full dining sets, bedroom pieces.

Right now, while I was looking at his stuff, I just swooned at a long dresser that could be used as a credenza/tv stand

2 Problems, though. 1st problem DH said no used furniture, this after I draggeda fabulous Hollywood Regency 1/2 hexagon credenza that I use as a bar in my lounge. He had a stroke when he saw me taking it out in the driveway... then he actually looked at it and realized how fabulous it really is. Plus, I got it for a steal 40 bucks!

2nd problem, this vintage stuff isn't built like the stuff today... it is heavy... and I don't think I could fit this into the car or trunk of the car... there are 2 pieces.

Ok, the 1st problem wouldn't really stop me at all from going to get it.... I would utilize the better to ask for forgiveness than permission approach.

But I don't know anyone around here and I would have to figure out a way to get a pickup or some sort of truck to go get it...this might be a problem trying to arrange this without DH knowing about it.

And because I've been with him for 37 years, I KNOW that I can't talk him into it. Again, with the 37 years, I also know he doesn't stay upset for long and also knows I always do what I want if I really want something.

I don't know what happened to him, but since we bought this house, our first house we ever owned.. he suddenly wants to get involved! lol

Looky Here

rockybird thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Lizzietizzie-thanks! That is a great website. I will definitely go through it! I am a little bit of a purist - I have a lot of original pieces. They usually come at a premium. OneCollection, who makes the Juhl cabinet, is licensed to make his pieces and make them exact to original specifications. They actually worked with Juhl's wife to do so on some of them. I guess that's as close to the original as I will ever get, as I doubt I will see that cabinet for sale and if I did I suspect it would go for 10's of thousands of dollars.

The Hollywood Reg. credenza you got sounds awesome! Congrats on getting such a great deal on a fabulous piece!

Anyways, thanks to all you guys for your help. I guess I will think about it.

• 8 years ago

Rocky, I received a catalog from Lumens yesterday and there were some very nice MCM credenzas in the catalog. My favorite is the Horizon sideboard, available in three finishes and 2 top materials.

• 8 years ago

Rocky, if you love it, get it! I think it's a great piece, and the yellow will work well in your room.

• 8 years ago

Thanks Holly-kay! Those are some great credenzas! The one I like from there is 11k (vitra)!! :Definitely too much. :(

Pamgatten-thanks! I'm still deciding. I really want it though...isnt it adorable?

• 8 years ago

Just updating this - I did order the yellow credenza! I couldn't help myself! I just really love the color. When I get it, I'll post pics! If it doesn't look good against the rock wall, I will move it somewhere else - maybe across from the bed in the new master bedroom when it is built.

• 5 months ago

I am also a fan of the Finn Juhl credenza! Can you let me know how it looks like from the back? Thinking about using it as a room divider and uncertain hoping it looks just as nice on the front and back.

• 5 months ago

I love this credenza and have two of them, but they are up against the wall and I can’t move them easily to check the back. I’m pretty sure they are finished. These are such an expensive purchase that I would expect the store you buy them from to send you a photo of the back. It’s a very reasonable request.

I got my blue one as a floor sample from DWR. I bought the yellow one from danishdesign and it was shipped directly from Denmark in a massive crate bolted together. I had to hire someone to remove it. If you purchase one, post photos when you have it!

• 5 months ago

Rockybird, thank you for the pictures! Love everything in your set up, the eames, womb, the credenza and the pups! I just have the pelican chair and been wanting another Finn Juhl piece. Now that we have space for it, hoping to do some shopping. It’s really hard to find any pics of the back of the credenza, may have to check it out in person.

rockybird thanked Halcyon
  • 5 months ago

Oh wow! Love your pelican chair!!! Beatuiful piecs and the colors! I see an eames chair back there too! Thank you for the compliments!

I just moved the blue one! Here are some pics. Sorry for the hesitation— I wasn’t sure if you were a bot! There’s been a lot of bot posts posting recently! The back looks amazing! I wouldnt hesitate to display the back.

Now if you wanted to go crazy, you could put two back to back!

For fun, I posted some photos of my original Arne Vodder credenzas too. :)