SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncrealestateguy

My 2016 Tomato Season... The Good, Bad and Ugly

ncrealestateguy
8 years ago

Hey Growers,

Good to be back on the forum after the off season. Good to see the familiar names again. I would have jumped into the contests here, but my space is just too tight this year to be messing around.

I live in Charlotte, NC.

I'd thought I would start a thread to highlight my season from start to finish. Here we go...

Started my seeds Feb. 20th, and will grow them for six weeks before planting them up the first week of April, weather dependent. For the first time, I will have a true Fall crop. There will be a 10 week difference in plant out dates between the two crops. The second crop should go outside in mid June.

I prune all of my plants to three stems and twine them up some jute, except for my Rutgers and Sun Sugars and Sweet 100s. In all, there should be about 40 plants set out the first planting and then about 20 plants the second planting. I will be drenching the seedlings and outdoor plants with Actinovate for the first time this year... I had some wilt problems last year, so I am hoping this drench will help with that. My garden is on a drip system for irrigation. I direct sow the seeds into six inch pots. I plant two seeds per pot and cull the weak one, if both seeds germinate. I have never seen any reason to sow into small trays and then disturb the roots only to pot them up to a larger pot. Theses plants will be rooted all the way to the bottom of these pots in only five weeks. I just put a fan on them today to help harden them up.

Here is a list of my crop...

Green Giant, Mortgage Lifter Red, Black From Tula, Polish Linguisa, Kellogs Breakfast, Black Krim, Coustralee, Persimmon, Big Rainbow, Indian Stripe, Sun Gold, Rutgers, Watermelon BS, Sweet 100s, Giant Oxheart, Orange Strawberry Oxheart, Olena Ukranian, Thienemans Australian Oxheart, Brad's Black Oxheart.

Looking forward hearing comments and suggestions

Until the seeds germinate, I keep the bench and lights covered. No bottom heat needed even though my basement is cold this time of year. Soil surface temp is in high 80s.

The soil bed on the left is nine rows of peppers. No space for pots here, so I am forced to do it this way. I will dibble them out when they are about 6 inches tall and put directly into the garden. The bench is tilted ever so slightly so that every time I water the tomatoes, the drainage run off flows into the soil bed and then waters the peppers. Saves me time from having to water them separately.

Sowed on Feb. 20th...12 days ago.

Comments (66)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths