SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinri

Poll: Tub or no tub master bath?

NewEnglandgal
8 years ago

Since we have decided to pull the dated blush color jet tub and put in a new tiled shower, if buying a home would you prefer a bigger shower or have both tub and shower (separate) in the master bath (which is not large)? We do have a fiberglass tub/shower in the home already and are redoing a shower stall downstairs. If this were for you and your SO alone, which would you prefer? Also, if you would want a tub, free standing or jet? It seems like people who own jet tubs rarely use them but at the same time buyers like seeing a jet tub in their bathroom.

Comments (34)

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

While I don't take baths very often, I definitely want to be able to do it in my own bathroom. Deep soaker, jets don't matter with me.

NewEnglandgal thanked Errant_gw
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Both. Personally, I don' t like freestanding tubs, but they sure look nice and are a "requirement" in more upscale houses in my area.

NewEnglandgal thanked nosoccermom
  • Related Discussions

Master Bath Tub ?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you! I did not really think about the 3-wall alcove. Our tub would only hit 2 walls, then some space before you get to the toilet. I guess I am not sure if that would even work as we would want to just use a bath screen, but with no wall at the end, that could be problematic. I guess all of my previous bathrooms had the tub in a 3 wall alcove.
    ...See More

What do you have on the wall above your master bath tub?

Q

Comments (28)
    I have 2 windows (with faux wood blinds covering them thank you) at right angles above the tub in the master bath, so no wall art there. However, I do have a prominent piece of wall separating 2 mirrors over our vanities.........This wall is crying for something but I haven't found it. The other day, I saw some really pretty decorative wall clocks and have been thinking about that. For some reason I wasn't sure if it would be odd to have a pretty wall clock hanging there, although honestly it kind of makes sense. What do you think? The ones I saw (at Ross or TJMaxx) were round and had nice detailed frames. I am linking a nice substantial one I just saw on the o site, just wondering what the decorating experts here think of a decorative clock as a piece of décor in a bathroom.square not round but a pretty clock
    ...See More

New build, need decision quick on Master Bath tub surround/tub deck

Q

Comments (21)
    I know this is an old thread. I'm comtemplating if I want a tub at all but if I get an air or a jetted tub, if the sides have stone around, how do you reach the motor if you need a repair? Just curious if anyone has dealt with that situation. For my current outdated tub, I can reach the motor through the the cabinet; I have a cut out there. I could do the same thing. But adding a slab of quartz to a tub make for a very expensive tub. Dominique, what did you decide and are you happy with your decision?
    ...See More

master bath- tub curtains

Q

Comments (1)
    Gosh, I would love to help, but can you post some photos to help give us direction?
    ...See More
  • LE
    8 years ago

I love a nice soak in a deep tub. Doesn't matter if I do it often, but I want it when I want it. The one thing I don't like is climbing over a tub side to take a shower. (Well, what I really don't like is taking baths in a tub that is also used for showering, because I feel like I always have to clean it before I get in.)

• muskokascp
    8 years ago

We are contemplating taking the never used jet tub out of our master and not replacing it. We need to enlarge the shower and could still put in a tub or we could add a second vanity w/sink and make -up area. Right now I am leaning toward the second vanity and sink as being a more attractive option. We still have a tub/shower combo in the house and another shower in the basement. I am the only person who takes baths and as long as it's a nice bath I don't care if it's in the master ensuite or the other bathroom.

NewEnglandgal thanked muskokascp
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LE This was exactly why I was asking because many people want either a shower or nice soak but neither in a shower/tub combo. For showers I find many do not want to have to climb over a tub. Now to find best place for pricing on a tub! I wish my master bath was much larger!

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Muskokascp, My bathroom is already tight as the large jet tub and shower stall go from end to end on one wall and across the floor is a large one bowl vanity and toilet with the closet on the other side of the vanity so not much room. I wondered if I only put a shower in if I could move the vanity where the jet tub was but it would add a lot to the cost that is already going to be much more than we thought. We have to work with what we have. Hoping if it is bright and new people will love it.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is a great question for a good, local realtor.

• sail_away
    8 years ago

I agree about asking a local realtor. We decided when we built our current home that we only wanted a walk-in shower (no door) and would just have a bathtub in a secondary bathroom. We've never regretted that decision. We are now getting ready to sell and our realtor says that people are looking for master baths like ours with large walk-in showers. I guess we'll find out when we list the house.

It seems like questions like this will be answered differently, which seems to indicate to me that there's not one right answer. Still wouldn't hurt to talk to a realtor, though.

NewEnglandgal thanked sail_away
  • vpierce
    8 years ago

For me, as long as there is a bathtub somewhere in the house, I'd rather have a larger walk-in shower in the master. We have a claw foot tub in one bathroom, a jetted one in another (that we never use) and only a large walk-in shower in our master bath. I like the look of free-standing tubs, but they don't look very practical to me--nowhere to put your lotions and potions....

NewEnglandgal thanked vpierce
  • chisue
    8 years ago

We own a `1 BR short term vacation rental on Maui. It was built with a hall bath with small shower and a master bath with tub/shower combination. Most owners have removed the tub and created a large shower because...that's what most people coming here want. This may be area-dependent.

NewEnglandgal thanked chisue
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

A soaking tub in the master is a waste of space for us, we'd never use it. And that's what we have, an oversized jetted tub for two, and oddly, same color as the one you are pulling. A perfect match for the blush Kohler toilet, 33" elongated sink, and all the blush tile (tub surround, walls, vanity and backsplash)

We bought the house in spite of, not because of ;) I plan to take it out and put in a larger shower that works for our needs. That will leave the house with three showers and one small tub. If we were to sell the house and someone didn't like that, my thinking is, if I can take a tub out, new owners can put one back in if they want it badly enough.

So in answer to your question, I'd be happy with shower only in the master.

NewEnglandgal thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Well, you know the very fact that you ask this question, especially also considering resale, and that there are all these different answers, shows that it's potentially an issue for whomever will buy the house.

Purely for resale, I'd go with what gets you the most wow for the least amount of money.

NewEnglandgal thanked nosoccermom
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That is exactly what I am thinking! The master bath is not large either so need to do what I can to make it look good.

• just_janni
    8 years ago

I'd opt for a shower - large and impressive with dual vanities. While I am putting a tub in my new house, I've been living without one for 18 years in a master - but I love, love, love my walk in / no door shower EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I am putting it in the new house so I can use it annually and enjoy some relaxation. My life has been SO nuts for the past 3 years, and I know it's going to get "nuttier" before we're done with this build - so if I can 2-3 good relaxing soaks out of it - it will be worth it -since I am desperate for the thought of the lifestyle that an occasional soak portrays. LOL

NewEnglandgal thanked just_janni
  • Karenseb
    8 years ago

If your master bath is not large enough for two sinks and a good amount of counter space, a good sized shower and a small soaking tub, I would choose two sinks and more counter space and a larger shower over a tub.

A tub gets less use than the vanities, sinks and shower. I really like having my own vanity if you can make that work.

NewEnglandgal thanked Karenseb
  • geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

I think a house needs a bathroom with a tub. Any bathroom.

NewEnglandgal thanked geoffrey_b
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jannicone I have my jet tub but never use it but a good hot soak does sound good.......maybe too lazy to wait for the water to fill? Seems I am on the go then go to bed every night. Karen, I agree 100% but here is my dilemma. On one wall is my closet, then vanity directly next to closet then toilet. NO room for two vanities unless somehow I can move the sinks to where my jet tub is and even then I think it is still not big enough. My bathroom is basically 9x9. We redid this house over 20 years ago and this big room with no walls was turned into a master bed and bath. Back then I was thrilled to have it. Id do the rooms very differently today.

• elpaso1
    8 years ago

I'd rather have double sinks and a large shower as long as there is a tub somewhere in house. Hate freestanding and claw foot tubs due to being harder to clean under/behind. If there is double sinks and large shower then I'd want the space where tub was to have another linen closet/storage

NewEnglandgal thanked elpaso1
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The bathroom does not have double vanity. See comment above. Wish I did!

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Isn't it funny how so many who have the tubs never use them yet when people look for a home they love seeing a jet tub in the master bath? Is it just the "thought" of that magificent soak we all wish for but never take that puts in our minds that we must have the tub? I also only use our shower and agree for those of us getting older, climbing in and out of tubs does not appeal to me. Even my 81 yr old mother-in-law uses her shower over the tub/shower. The question is what fo home buyers want to SEE in their master bath? I only have 9x9 to work with. I can change the entire area and move things around but that will be much more costly.

• algeasea
    8 years ago

If I were buying a house now, like many others, I wouldn't mind no tub in the master bath as long as there was one somewhere else in the house. Experience with many aged relatives has me thinking a lot about aging in place--I'd want a curbless shower as big as possible for the space.

NewEnglandgal thanked algeasea
  • Karenseb
    8 years ago

Print off some graph paper if you can and show us how your space is configured now. Layout your 9X9 bathroom one square equal to one foot. Show your doorway sizes, location, where they lead to. Show any window locations and size. Show where the toilet, tub, shower and sink are.

Or you can freehand your 9 foot square bathroom and draw in all the details.

NewEnglandgal thanked Karenseb
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do not have graph paper but here is a quick freehand drawing. I am thinking the easiest thing to do would be to take out the jet tub and make the shower bigger. Move the closet to the far corner where the jet tub is near the window and put a double vanity in where the vanity is now. That would keep costs down. Would it be weird for my vanity to start so close to where the door opening is? I know it would fit as the closet juts out and the door has plenty of room to swing and the closet is actually wider than the vanity although I do not show that in my rough drawing. Also, there is a 5 1 /2 inch wall that juts out between the shower stall and jet tub that holds the shower head. We would most likely need to move that and not sure how much work that would entail.

• etran
    8 years ago

In the house we're building now, we're putting in a large shower and no tub. We never take any baths. There will be a bathtub in another bathroom.

NewEnglandgal thanked etran
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do have a full shower/tub in another bathroom and a smaller shower in a third. We will be building or doing a modular once we get things in order here and it is going to be the same, deciding what we want for different rooms. How exciting for you!

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

We are pulling out our tub & shower & just doing a large tile shower. Our builder told us that a lot of their new homes only have large tile showers. We still have a tub in our home, but not in the master. We are not worried about resale though. If we do sell there is a water line there, so a tub could always be put back in.

NewEnglandgal thanked mark_rachel
  • Karenseb
    8 years ago

Can you put the shower in the tub location and the closet where the shower is? Then your door could swing against the closet space and your shower would look nice, and not be hidden behind the door.

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

If your window is in the way, perhaps you could move your bedroom door closer to the top wall so you can place the shower on the toilet wall where your sink and closet were. Then do a small 30 inch linen closet on the top right wall and a 66 inch two sink vanity next to the closet across from the toilet.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

"Isn't it funny how so many who have the tubs never use them yet when
    people look for a home they love seeing a jet tub in the master bath? Is
    it just the "thought" of that magificent soak we all wish for but never
    take that puts in our minds that we must have the tub?"

Ditto with all the chef kitchens with professional ranges. In my area, hardly anybody cooks in their chef kitchen because everybody is too busy.

OP renovates for resale, i.e. bang for the buck, which isn't necessarily primarily for functionality.

• mrpandy
    8 years ago

For us it's strictly personal - we don't do any remodeling with resale in mind, but instead get what we want for us since we live here now. We're never in the bathroom at the same time so no need for double sinks, so we got a smaller vanity, replaced the 36x36 shower with a 42x54, and replaced the shallow tub/wasted surround space with a deeper (non-jetted) tub. Our old tub was never used because it was way too shallow, so I am looking forward to getting used to a nice long soak.

NewEnglandgal thanked mrpandy
  • flyingkite2015
    8 years ago

I'm with mrpandy, we are doing remodeling just for our self and don't care of resale value.

NewEnglandgal thanked flyingkite2015
  • Italiangirl
    8 years ago

Sometimes someone in the family could have a medical situation that requires a bath...or grandchildren...or another situation, so I would not want to not have the option of a bathtub.

NewEnglandgal thanked Italiangirl
  • freeoscar
    8 years ago

We have a similar sized bathroom (10x10), and are opting for a double vanity and a large shower. A large shower and not having to reach around each other to brush our teeth/wash are useful every single day. Bath is rarely used, and they still need be cleaned every so often. The architect questioned our choice, but I joked that it would be more cost effective to book a night at the local luxury hotel for the once a year I want to take a bath, and let them deal with the cleanup.

NewEnglandgal thanked freeoscar