SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

Maybe novice users should buy Macs and avoid Win PCs?

Elmer J Fudd
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This forum's participants aren't necessarily a representative cross-section of the world of PC users, but recent threads covering Windows 10 upgrade problems (for those who chose to do so), malware problems, or peripheral hardware problems, etc , etc, made me think that too many beginning-level PC users struggle with Windows PCs. Many are repeat posters, seemingly having problems with each new thing they encounter or try to do with their PCs. These struggles are avoidable.

Windows PCs are a manual transmission compared to Apple Macs in the role of an automatic transmission. If you have a Windows PC, you can't ignore the details. There are decisions to be made, users need to be knowledgeable about setting alternatives, you can screw up your machine by doing things the wrong way. With a Mac, you just turn it on and use it, as with an automatic transmission with which you can start the car and then just drive.

In a recent thread, a person having setting problems with a Win PC responded belligerently to my suggestion to consider getting a Mac for their next PC , clearly not understanding the reason for the suggestion.

Apple has charted its own course - its products ALWAYS work elegantly. Their stuff is cooler than cool. You don't need a user manual, you just GO. They integrate seamlessly with other Apple products, oftentimes setting themselves up and managing interactions with one another. In the main, Macs don't get malware, they don't have updates that require any user intervention, they will backup themselves with a minor number of settings, and on and on. Get an ipad or an iphone and everything gets tied together very quickly.

Do I prefer Apple PCs? No, not for myself. I do have an ipad (an awesome device) but I even prefer Android phones to iphones. I'm a user of intermediate experience and knowledge, I can handle what the Windows and Android worlds throw at me without difficulty and I like having flexibility. But I know many users don't deal with such issues easily.

I think PC users of entry-level knowledge should consider buying Apple products for ease of use. Just something to think about. Those with only basic PC needs might also want to consider a Chromebook. They're inexpensive, operate on a version of linux, and by in large will spare users the need of getting into the innards of their PCs. Yes, they work a bit differently, but so what, they do work and cost less than the cheapest PCs you'll find.

Comments (31)