SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linzriz

Backyard slope design that includes built in slide

linzriz
8 years ago

I'm a total gardening novice and need ideas for the hill in our backyard. It varies from a 20 degree angle on the left to a 45 degree angle on the right. We are right on the edge of zones 7b and 8a and we have red clay soil. It receives full sun from late morning to late afternoon except on the right side where the neighbors big (poplar?) trees and house block it part of the day. There are 5 crepe myrtles that are staying.

Erosion is a big problem- I just pulled out a ton of dead creeping juniper but I'd rather not replant the same because it's prickly and we are building in steps and a slide for the kids in one section between 2 trees. I'd love suggestions for a ground cover to put around the slide/stairs that that's low to the ground, doesn't mind clay or heavy traffic (rupture wort or some kind of moss?) But if I put a ground over in one section do I need to do the whole hill? And when I level out the hill some of the crepe myrtle roots will be exposed- is that a problem?

I'd also like to plant something along the fence line in the back that will block the gaps underneath and stop any more dirt from sliding down. The fence is only 3 feet so something not super tall. And then of something to fill in the empty spaces. I like flowering bushes, lemon grass, herbs like mint and sage and edibles like blueberries but have no idea if they will tolerate clay or how to make them look good.

I've also read that baptisia, blue star, potentilla, and black eyed Susan's work well in clay but I'm just not sure how to put all my ideas together. Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments (8)