SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

Swing Set for a Sloped backyard

kbear_15
3 years ago

Live in NE Ohio - Have a very active 2.5 year old boy. I really would like to have a swing set in the backyard for him to play on. I would like this swing set: Gorilla Playsets Five Star II Space Saver Cedar Swing Set ( https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/gorilla-playsets-five-star-ii-space-saver-cedar-swing-set-hbwu1020.html?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=Social ). Dimensions roughly 120'' x 158''. (plus need an extra 3-6 feet around the perimeter). Was hoping to have wood mulch chips or rubber mulch chips.

The problem is my entire backyard is sloped. I have a 50 foot deep backyard - the 1st 20 feet is non-easement; The last 30 feet is drainage easement. I went out and measured the swing set and the best area for it is in the area marked in red (see photos);

What is the best way to level out the area for the playground?

Would a landscaper excavate/dig (so area closest to the house is same as the area near the rocks) or add/create retaining wall)? Would the latter have erosion/not be as safe? If retaining wall, how much/tall of a drop off between where it ends and the rest of the yard? I don’t want a huge drop off.

How can they reassure the slope of the yard isn’t altered so a) water doesn’t pool in the level area below the playset; b) water drains properly in general in our backyard, away from the house, no pooling, etc.

Comments (16)