SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_927959865

Narrow, sloping backyard on a corner needs HELP

julie
5 years ago

We live on a lovely corner lot in zone 7a (Maryland). Our side yard is quite nice but due to the orientation of our home, the backyard is narrow. We have some tall pines that my husband is actually allergic to and a magnolia that is lovely when it blooms but only does so for a few days and then drops huge leaves that get slippery if not disposed of.

The large deck wraps around the side of the house but while we've had it looked at and it is structurally sound, the boards are not in good shape. I received a $17k quote to replace the boards and put bluestone below the deck. For that money, I would rather start from scratch.

I have a laundry list of "would be nice" ideas, but am realistically thinking of taking down the whole deck, putting in a smaller side porch with a few stairs down to a graded hardscaped back area, firepit with retaining wall and perhaps some turf. I would love to replace the trees since my husband is allergic to the pines and I know my neighbor wants something that will keep the privacy given the odd situation we'd be creating by taking them down. I love clean, low maintenance looks. We have a puppy so would like to incorporate a fence on the sides but want it to be relatively unobtrusive and just blend into the rest of the design. I'd also be willing to move the hollies out in the sideyard, allowing us a little more green space. I'd also love to bump out our driveway a little so that could blend into the porch on the side. One note is that I do not want ground cover because a) I don't prefer the look of it and b) I don't like the idea of snakes or mice in it. I'd rather do turf.

My goal for the space would be a place for the kids and dog to actually be able to play, some entertaining space for the adults, and overall be an outdoor living space that is an extension of our inside. I recognize this is a rather large job and yes, of course we will seek professional designers. Ideas and thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

(bump out driveway, replace tree here near garage and build side covered patio?)

(view from neighbor's side of side of deck and magnolia. note the slope down)

(view from back. next to the a/c is a window, not a door. Note the shade, pines, some dead branches and slope)

(only existing area to be "in the backyard" right now. That is our walkout basement and the holly trees we would consider bumping out to make more use of the space)

(View from the other side. This shows how narrow it is and how the trees take up so much of the space)

(View just a bit farther away on the other side of the hollies. We do have a nice enough space; it's just utilized poorly. Note a bit of slope).

Comments (13)