SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Favorite Cooking Technique

John Liu
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am curious. What cooking method is most frequently employed in your home?

Let's make the list:

- Boiling (including simmering, braising, pressure cooking). Cooking by entirely or partly submerging in water that is boiling (212 F, or somewhat higher if using a pressure cooker).

- Steaming. Cooking with hot vapor from boiling liquid, when the food is not actually in contact with the liquid.

- Frying (including searing, saute, stir fry, pan fry, deep frying, pressure frying, hot salt/sand frying). Cooking by contact with a surface that is very hot (much hotter than boiling water), usually but not necessarily with some oil or fat. I'll include deep frying here, because the oil is effectively a very hot surface.

- Roasting (including baking, pot roasting, BBQ, hot smoking). Cooking through hot air, either in a container or directly in the oven, at either high or low temperature. I'm including hot smoking; cold smoking is in another category.

- Grilling (including broiling, charbroiling, rotisserie, spit roasting, and toasting). Cooking through direct exposure to radiant heat, which might be from gas, electric elements, halogen lights, heat lamps, or burning wood.

- Torching (including flambe, blow torch). Cooking through a flame applied directly and closely to the surface of the food.

- Microwaving. Cooking through electromagnetic waves that penetrate the interior of the food (if you are in the habit of cooking with a laser, see torching).

- Chemical cooking (including curing, drying, pickling, ceviche, cold smoking, fermentation, and probably various industrial cooking processes I have not heard of.) Cooking through exposure of the food to acid, salt, sugar, marinades, or other chemicals, *** withOUT heat ***. We'll include dehydration, aging, and cold smoking, but not hot smoking.

- No cooking. This means you eat your food raw. Maybe you cut it up first.

Okay, I think that is pretty comprehensive. Maybe I missed something.

Which of these techniques do you use the most when making meals at home? Why? Is there a technique that you don't know but would like to learn?

Comments (22)