SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mousefoster

New kitchen, terrible smell!

Abby F
8 years ago

I have a phantom smell in my new kitchen and cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it! It appears in a corner away from the sink and heating vents, somewhat between the stove and the fridge. A sewer smell, I think, but could also be just about anything decaying. I've stuck my nose in every vent, drain, drawer, nook and cranny and cannot locate the source. It comes and goes, sometimes it is around for an hour, or the whole day, sometimes it disappears for weeks.

Has ANYONE experienced anything similar? All theories are welcome!!

I did climb out on the porch roof today to stick my nose by the external blower. When the blower was off I couldn't smell anything, when it was on I got the smell coming out, but then again the smell was in the kitchen at the time so I think I was just smelling the stinky kitchen air coming through.

The ONLY other thing I can think of is that there was an old drain pipe that was capped when we put in the new kitchen addition. I thought they took out the whole pipe, but maybe not. Could a leaky seal on the cap really be causing a smell to permeate up through the wood floor? I checked the basement/crawl spaces and no smell down there

HELP!

Comments (4)