SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearab_gw

Terrible smell: how to get rid of it

cearab
12 years ago

Let me just say I am posting this message for a friend with a unique problem. During the last year she married a man who had his adult (26) son living with them. This young man is quite simply, disgusting. I have had the misfortune of spending time around him, and he is completely void of anything resembling hygiene. He never (as in NEVER), brushes his teeth, routinely scratches his private parts in front of anyone, picks his nose, bathes only occasionally, wears dirty clothes over and over, etc. He stinks.

So here is the issue at hand. He FINALLY moved out of the house. But he left behind his stink in the bedroom he had been using for the last year. He dressed himself out of a huge pile of dirty clothes thrown on the floor in the middle of the room. He NeVer changed his sheets (well maybe once a year or so). When he moved out he took his mattress set with him, thankfully. My friend had the carpets professionally cleaned and the smell did not go away. She ripped up the carpet, thinking it would rid the room of the smell. That did not work. She said the walls actually smell. She washed them down with lysol and that hasn't changed the smell. During all this she has been leaving the windows open overnight in the room to help rid the stink. I have been in the room and it really does smell awful. In fact, the room smelled so bad while he lived there that his father forbid him from ever leaving the door to his bedroom open. So basically, you have a foul smelling room that my friend wants to convert into a guest room but can't because it smells so bad. She was thinking about making a bleach solution and washing down the walls a second time with it. Any suggestions here?

Comments (15)