SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hcself71

How to Stop Your Feeder From Dripping

8 years ago

I found a solution that has kept my feeders from dripping and attracting yellow jackets and other unwanted pests. This only works for Humzinger-style feeders shown above--large or small--(not the standard large flower, smaller feeders.)

I bought pipe sealant in the hardware section of my grocery store.

NOTE: pipe sealant is non-toxic and will not harm the hummers.

I also bought a roll of plumber's tape--the really thin tape used to help pipes seal up.

First I cleaned everything really well. Then popped out all of the flowers and slathered a bunch of I then slathered the pipe sealant around where the flowers go in--you want to use a really good amount--and pushed them back in. I then did the same where the top met the bottom "bowl". Next, I wrapped a generous amount of the plumber's tape around that same place to really seal it up.

The pipe sealant comes in little tubes and is kind of like working with toothpaste and putty mixed together. (Note: It doesn't fully dry up. It's not supposed to.)

The end result is somewhat ugly with the white tape and the white goop around the flowers, but it sufficiently not only stopped the yellow jackets from coming (they tried and tried, but finally stopped.)

You will have to replace the tape and pipe sealant now and then around the base, as it expands and contracts with the day heating up and cooling off--and especially so if it's in direct sunlight like mine are.

I have a lot of hummingbirds who come my way all summer and all winter (we have Anna's Hummingbirds here in Oregon, and they don't migrate), and they've been very happy about not having the yellow jackets scare them off in the warmer months.

Comments (11)