SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivi68

Water dripping in Fridge, GE: Operating as Designed. How's yours?

vivi68
12 years ago

We have a 24 cu ft GE Profile top freezer refrigerator just under a year old. Recently, water droplets started forming on the inside of the refrigerator directly below the freezer and frozen water droplets hang from surfaces in the freezer. We had a similar problem with the same model refrigerator which GE eventually replaced.

GE sent a service tech who spent less than 5 minutes - just enough time to remove a panel at the back of the freezer. He attributed the problem to not having air conditioning and declared that the refrigerator was "operating as designed". We do have air conditioning but it was not running at that time - it was early morning - before 8 AM and the weather was relatively cool and dry. He handed us a slip of paper onto which he wrote a phone number to call, then left.

I called the number and Vicki from GE Consumer Relations said she would follow-up with GE's technical team.

This is her email response:

Hi, this is Vicki from GE. I am letting you know I called our specialty technical team and asked them some questions about your diagnosis. They verified that this would probably happen again being in an area with high humidity. I made sure they knew you did have air conditioning.

[If this is normal operation for GE refrigerators in humid weather, a common occurrence in most parts of the U.S. for at least several months of the year, shouldn't GE warn consumers before they spend $2000 on a GE refrigerator?]

A replacement would not be given as it states, "operating as designed". They stated you would probably have trouble with any model and any brand of refrigerator. The fact that you were given a replacement last time was a gesture of goodwill.

[ A gesture of goodwill? After several visits last year from a GE technician who also maintained that there was nothing wrong with the refrigerator, mentioned something about the air conditioning not running , the same tech finally plugged his computer into a central GE facility service and every test performed showed a failure code. Our refrigerator was declared "unrepairable". He finally acknowledged that this was a common problem with GE refrigerators. Although the problem with fridge #1 was far worse than with our current model, I worry that things will only get worse. This GE Profile replaced a 23 year old Whirlpool which never necessitated even one service call.]

What I can offer you is a VERY discounted rate on a new refrigerator. If you have a model number you'd like a price on, we can document the offered price in your case. This offer would be good for 30 days.

I'm glad you're safe and the electricity is back on. I hope we can come to some sort of resolution for you.

Sincerely,

Vicki

GE Consumer Relations

My response to Vicki was that I wasn't asking for a replacement refrigerator but that I wanted the one I have fixed. I took issue with what GE deems "Operating as designed". I added: "You're in Tennessee. You have to have many more days of humid weather than we do in Pennsylvania. Do you have water droplets hanging from the top of your refrigerator? Do you have frozen water droplets in your freezer? If that's what GE insists is "operating as designed", then GE has a design problem. I believe that most regions of the United States have humid conditions in the summer since the great majority of Americans don't live in Arizona or New Mexico -- and in areas that get much more humid than in Pennsylvania and for far longer periods of time."

Gardenweb readers: Here are photos illustrating what GE calls "Operating as Designed". Does YOUR refrigerator do the Drip, Drip, Drip?

Comments (12)