SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javamom66

New Fridge: LG or GE or something else?

Trish
8 years ago

We are starting week six with a dead LG refrigerator (just turned 4 years old) and need to purchase a new fridge ASAP. We are running an unofficial youth hostel for our college kids and friends who are waiting for the dorms to reopen. Fresh food would be good. This experience has been a surreal battle between LG and Home Depot with lots of issues because of the closed system. We are not anxious to repeat.

We are receiving conflicting advice about the best brand moving forward. I was set on GE, but now am considering LG (yikes!), and am open to JennAir and Kitchen Aid. We want a basic French Door SS with water and ice in the door. Budget is $2000 - $3000, with $2500 being the sweet spot.

We bought this house with a kitchen full of Maytag appliances, so obviously we've developed a close relationship with our wonderful repair person over the years. In fact, my son thought Kevin was just a friend of the family who helped with the appliances because he has been here so often. Kevin is not an authorized LG repair person but gamely tried to revive this fridge. Kevin advises a GE or Whirlpool, which he can service, as a replacement and suggests avoiding Samsung, Frigidaire, or Electrolux. He also says most fridges in our price range have a 6-8 year life span.

I have now developed a close relationship with my new best friend Steve, the only authorized LG repair person in the area. Steve also advises GE or Whirlpool, but not Samsung, Frigidaire, or Electrolux. Before this sad story started, Steve was an LG fan, but no longer. This experience has been brutal for both of us.

Our friends replaced a problematic Sub Zero with GE and are very happy.

We are leaning towards buying the new fridge from the locally-owned appliance store with a great reputation for customer service. They have their own service center but only repair the appliances that they sold. They also provide loaner fridges. However, they love LG and promise that the LG fridge of today is not the same as the LG fridge of four years ago. They will service the LG and claim they have more leverage with the company since they sell LGs. They also like Frigidaire, but we weren't wild about the configuration. We actually like the LG configuration. They do not sell GE and do not recommend them.

After reading the forums extensively, I am now considering JennAir and Kitchen Aid, which we can purchase from the same local store.

Help! Are we nuts for even entertaining another LG? Are JA and KA still worth the extra cost? My head is spinning...

Comments (9)