SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bman_152

Hard Pruning?

bman_152
8 years ago

Hello!

I just bought my first house this winter, and am looking at planning my yard projects now that spring is within sight :) This is my first time ever having any sort of yard/plants/etc to maintain, and I am very excited about the oppurtunity to learn about the proper care & maintenance practices..

Anyway, I'm hoping that I could get some advice regarding some hedges I have...

The hedges are evergreen (I think they are Yews??) & look very old/established/overgrown.. I would love to cut them to a smaller/neater/more manageable size.. Their current size ranges from 6'h x 6'w in the middle to 8ish' x 8ish' on the ends.. Ultimately, I'd love for them to be roughly 4'x4' with a more consistent size (aka not huge at the ends)..

The hedges have a very flaky bark & thick, succulent needles (not soft, but not super pointy either).. The one at the end is a slightly darker shade of green if that matters.. It looked to still be the same in texture/growth.. They are growing in SW PA..

*yes, I did quickly shear them in the middle of the winter.. Hence the sickly/rough/broken branches.. I know this is the ultimate no-no, but had to do something to clean them up.. The previous owner let them get very out of control (18" branches sticking out of the top).. Now that they are mine, id love to give them the care that they deserve..

My plan:

I was planning on cutting the hedges to roughly the 4'x4' size in early March (essentially cutting off all the needles & leaving just the main branches), and planting a cheap/temporary plant in front of them while they fill back out.. (They feature quite prominently from the street)..

My questions:

1- how long do Yews take to fill back out? I've seen a ton of conflicting information about this..

2- any suggestions on how to make them less of an eyesore while they fill back out? I just moved into the neighborhood & don't want to take the chance of offending the neighbors.. I was planning on planting something in front of them (perhaps a vine or creeping plant) while they regrow.. Is this a bad idea?

3- is my plan (above) misguided? Should I be cutting them to the stump, ripping them completely out and starting over, or leaving them as-is?

Anyway, I know that many of my questions have been addressed before (in one form or another), and I've been having a blast browsing through the GardenWeb forums! I've read up on everything I can find, but am still not too confident that my plan (or even the plant species) is correct..

Anyway, I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my novel of a post & for any information/help/suggestions that you provide :)

The hedges

The inside

(Sorry about the litter.. Just noticed it when I posted the picture)

The needles

The darker (end shrub) needles

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH