SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Shhh! Don't tell the family I'm starting over!

beachem
8 years ago

At the start of the remodel last year (months and many gray hair ago), I had a very strong visual in mind for the kitchen. I wanted a light grey perimeter with a dark island.

I spent tons of money on samples from 5 different companies. There are 18 pots of greys in many shades in the garage.

I decided on BM Classic Gray and was happy. Little did I know that the love affair was doomed.

I had a great custom cabinet company. The price was good and can't be beat. Their finishes were beautiful.

Life was fine until GW intruded. All these whispers of low VOC, weird CA regs and gasp... deterioration in 5 yrs. I talked to the company and they were frank that they couldn't compete with the durability from out of state. They use the best technology for low VOC and had me visit the factory.

Their warranty was for one year like everyone else but they assured me verbally that they would replace the doors if they deteriorate.

Like the princess and the pea, that tiny issue irritated my subconscious until I realize that I don't want to take the chance. I did bids with Decora, Crystal, Ultracraft, and Wood-mode. The quotes were all 100-200% higher so I went the RTA way.

I bought sample doors and lived with them for 2 months.

They were nice but it's still not that subtle grey I visualized.

Unfortunately, Conestoga only uses Sherwin Williams paint and it costs 25-30% more for something other than those two greys above. I don't know if I can justify the extra cost but I went Goldilocks.

I pore thru both decks for a match to Classic Gray or something that is "just right".

Here's the fruit of my labor at 2am this morning.

There are many more foam boards all around two rooms. It was so sad that when SW loaded the huge box of samples in my car, all the paint dots looked identical.

My family would freak if they know I'm starting the color search again. They just want this kitchen to be done.

Comments (22)