SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

I don't know if I'm getting smarter or lazier

Pudge 2b
16 years ago

Gardening again today in my back yard that is now approaching its tenth year of being planted. Last year some of the borders took on some significant expansions and today I was planting lilies in those areas, and looking over the one area that was planted with lilies and peonies last fall. After that was done I 'cleaned' the borders of the rest of last years foliage.

All the while I was musing to myself how I have become lazier in my efforts. Then I thought well, maybe I'm just smarter.

Used to be a time that I would kill myself digging up sod, tilling the area, mixing in peat moss and then finally planting. With recent expansions I simply killed the grass with roundup and, since they're not going to be heavily planted, I just dug holes and planted leaving the rest of the sod in place. It's all going to get covered with mulch and rot down anyway. I tried this method a few years ago when I reclaimed some lawn and planted a bunch of shrubs. Same method and the shrubs are doing wonderfully. Plus, hardly a weed is growing in there.

Used to be a time that I would cut back and clear off all the debris from the garden beds. I painstakingly cut and raked and cut and raked - took me all day to get the back yard done and at the end of it I had huge piles to put thru the chipper/shredder. Today it took me about 2 hours, and if it weren't for having to trim several clumps of blue oat grass it would have taken even less time. I just broke up a most of it with my hands and tossed it right back. Okay, so it doesn't look all clean and pristine but a few weeks from now I'm not gonna see much of that while it's all rotting down.

These methods are big time savers for me, not to mention a whole lot easier on the aging body, and I can't help but think it's doing my soil a world of good.

So - lazy? Or smart?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio