SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin44444

Bright bush or shrub for under our northeast-facing front windows?

robin44444
8 years ago

Hi, everyone! I'm having trouble finding a bright perennial, bush, or shrub to put under our northeast front windows. We just restuccoed our house in a chocolate brown and I love the way bright flowers would show off against that background. We have a yard that's mostly native and low-water plants, along with pines and maples. We had Blue Mist spirea here for several years, but they didn't make it last year so we have a big open space under the front window that I want to fill. It gets almost no direct sun; a couple of hours in the morning in summer and then light shade most of the time. We have way too much purple and blue in the yard already. Since I haven't found any shrubs that will fill the bill I'm thinking maybe columbines, which I know aren't low-water plants but I could supplement our drip system with hand watering. I've seen some red columbines on the internet. I've also seen Echinacea "Cheyenne Spirit" and am wondering if they could possibly bloom in this situation. We live south of Pueblo at 6100 feet. What do you think about columbines? Any other suggestions for bright color? The area just under the windows is what I'm wanting to fill. The shadow looks darker than it usually is. The house is not this color now; more like deep milk chocolate. The area is about 10x4 feet. Thank you so much for any thoughts you may have.

Comments (18)