SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamarons21

Low condo reserves- deal breaker for small building?

lamarons21
8 years ago

I am looking at a small boutique condo building in Washington, DC. The 6 unit building was fully renovated in 2007. All tenants are paid up, but they have not been doing a good job of keeping reserves. The increased HOA significantly last year several times, which have risen from $219 to $342 (nearly 55%) to try to build reserves up. Currently, they just have about $1,200 in reserves. The 2016 budget is $17,500 (with 10% reserves).

They have a management company, but not sure why they did not suggest to save at least 10% each year for reserves. They just fixed a roof leak in January, and seem to have kept the building up with the cosmetic stuff I can see. Each unit has their own HVAC, and the shared costs would just be the flat roof, entry door, trash, lights, cleaning the hallways, snow removal, master insurance, water, and management company fees. There is not any landscaping.

I am trying to find out the rationale as to why they did not keep more reserves over the years. In 2013 and 2014, for example, they did not budget to collect any. In a letter written by the condo president, he said they they are planning to do a roof survey this year, and any unforeseen expense would be paid by a special assessment. Also, 2 units sold last year, and 2 are for sale now (including the one I am looking to buy). That means there will be an entirely new condo board who can make better group decisions. The president is one of the people that is staying, but I do not know how long he has been president. He lived oversees for a while, and has come back and made many changes.

The area is poised for tremendous growth, so I am not concerned about the values dipping. Actually, I could easily see 25% growth in the next few years based on other development in the area. I am more concerned about how fearful I should be.

Thoughts?

Comments (20)