SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coffeebreak

Small Kitchen Layout - Stacked Condo

coffeebreak
13 years ago

Hi again! I don't know if anyone remembers me, but you all helped design our kitchen in an old 1947 Spanish home. It was the one that had a manual dumbwaiter and a lot of soapstone. It was also the one where I had to tear down the backsplash. I hate being a member of that club! Anyway, time for a different project and once again, I was hoping to get your input.

This is a condo from the 1960's that has never been remodeled. It is in a stacked building where we are in the middle, one unit above us and one unit below us. That also means that we share plumbing and venting so I do not have a whole lot of flexibility. It is a small kitchen of approximately 8 feet by 9 feet, galley style.

Currently, there is very little storage so we are trying to maximize the storage everywhere we can. We are in the process of asking permission to tear down the drywall and remove existing cabinets to see what the actual limitations are and to get accurate measurements.

So here are what we believe to be our limitations:

- Cannot move kitchen window (HOA)

- Cannot move pony wall (plumbing)

- Cannot move 41" wall (shared plumbing)

- Can move kitchen sink a few inches back and forth, but not a major change in location (plumbing issues)

The unit above us (same floor plan) came up with an interesting idea. They incorporated 8" deep cabinets under the kitchen window. The benefit of this option is the dry goods storage. They keep cans, bags and cereal boxes etc down there. Additionally, the counters continue all the way around the galley kitchen. More counter space for holding small stuff. However, by doing this you lose the 8" of base cabinet storage space on the parallel cabinet runs if you use a drawer stack. If you use a door, the door will be much smaller, but you could use the 8" space, provided you do not use pull outs.

We have lifted the upper cabinets over the sink area to 67" inches above the floor in order to speak with someone on the other side of the pony wall, as well as to see a view out the windows. Currently, there are open shelves there that allow that to happen. We decided to add some base cabinetry and a counter overhang on the dining room side to add more storage and some potential seats (stools under counter). By the way, the back of the upper kitchen cabinets show to the dining room. We thought about putting decorative doors on them. We do not need access to them from the dining room side. We are not sure about having glass on both sides.

(I don't know why the trash pull out handle is in the middle of the door, nor do I know what the gray portion of the backsplash is. I am still learning this program!)

Directly across from the kitchen is an existing drop zone. Currently, there are upper and lower cabinets with a large counter area. We are thinking about taking half of that space and converting it into a tall pantry as shown below.

So, what do you think?

- Optional 8" deep cabinets with wrap around counter

- Pantry across from kitchen

- General Layout

Your input is so helpful. Thank you for your time!

Comments (123)