SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl

Problem with Samsung French Door Refrigerator's Water Filter

The new Aqua Pure Plus water filters do not fit on the three year old Samsung French Door refrigerator we have. We purchased three filters from three different sources and none of them worked. Samsung appears to have changed manufacturers and the new filters are made slightly different from the old ones. I searched on line to see if others were having the problem and the answer is, yes, they are. One person (on Amazon) came up with a solution of shaving down the "teeth" on the ring of the filter which solved the problem for him.

My DH is willing to do this but I do not like this solution. Presumably we are going to have this fridge for a long time and I do not want to have to get out an Xacto knife every six months to modify the filter, which by the way costs $50.

Samsung has not been very helpful. They keep saying call the Parts department which is not a solution since the part they would be sending us is made by the new manufacturer (unfortunately it has the same SKU as the old part so there is no differentiation between the old and the new.). There was one person we spoke to at Samsung who is aware of the problem and suggested we try to find a filter that was made by the previous manufacturer but that would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack since it would have the same SKU number!

So to recap - my three year old refrigerator is no longer capable of filtering water which is one of the primary reasons I bought this refrigerator!

Any suggestions?

Comments (113)

• tom75143
    5 years ago

A lot of online research and chat lines revealed a big problem with Samsung's water filters associated with their refrigerators prior to 2016. FYI. Sometime around 2016...the powers to be at Samsung decided to contract their filters to another company. This new company redesigned the old filter by adding a new small plastic notch to the new filter...still calling it a DA29-00003G which was just ridiculous. The original filter had two notches in a U type fitting. As such...even the Samsung filters (sold as Samsung replacement filters) do not work in their refrigerators made prior to 2016. Two remedies. One is to replace the Filter Housing assembly with a new one that will accommodate the new filter (estimated at $200), or go through various online companies and try to find the filter with the original U notches. I was lucky to find a source (Filter Outlet) and they have filters with the correct notches to fit my unit. Some other online companies also have the original configuration. So...if you have have a problem like this...here are your fixes. Shame on Samsung corporate for creating such a problem with NO fix...nor admitting they even have a problem...

• Peter Brisette
    5 years ago

So samsung refuses to acknowledge the water filter issue. Your on your own to try and replace the housing at $168 cost to you, plus install. No more samsung for me.. Buh bye.

• Related Discussions

Kenmore Elite Maytag Samsung or other french door refrigerator?

Q

Comments (3)
    Icemakers thru the dooor generally have 2 major drawbacks - they take up precious room in prime space and they are more prone to breaking. That said, they obviously are popular because everyone offers them I have posted positively here about the Samsung FD fridge (highest customer satisfaction 3 years in a row from JD Powers) but the model we have has the ice maker in the bottom freezer. I am 6'3" tall - and find it suprisingly accessable. Wasn't sure at first how I would like it but my whole family loves it. We just open up the bottom freezer and use the provided scoop to pick up some ice. Actually easier for us now than it was with our old side by side fridge even before the thru the door ice maker on the old KA side by side broke twice So don't be put off by the icemaker in the bottom. Check out the different units and get a feel for how accessable they may be
    ...See More

French Door Refrigerator: LG or Samsung?

Q

Comments (28)
    Well I have a lg french door 24.7 refrigerator and it's been a joy to own so far. The doors close via hydraulic assist, the led lights actually illuminate every shelf unlike the ge profile with single cluster at the top of the fridge. The ice maker makes ice, never seen it without any ice and we use it every day. Speaking of the ice dispensor I really love the stainless steel switch, other are cheap plastic, and the two bright led lights that actually illuminate the dispensor area so you can actually see your cup. The doors are solid, the ge felt strange and the door handles flexed on it as did the sears units I looked at. I bought mine a hhgregg and also got the 5 year extended warranty just in case but so far the only thing I've done is change a water filter. Speaking of filters lg changed the model to a new upgraded filter so keep that in mind if you want to replace it and don't see the one listed in the manual. I also have to say that lg has been fantastic for me with their steam washer and dryer that I also have, the red units on pedestals with the green led panels. They wash and dry effectively and the led lights in the tub so you can see your laundry at the end of the cycle is a very nice touch. My experience with lg has been very good so far and I would not hessitate to buy another appliance from them. I did however skip their dishwasher in favor of the samsung unit because of the features that the samsung had.
    ...See More

White french door refrigerator---Samsung or Kenmore?

Q

Comments (4)
    The Samsung and GE look very similar, but if you compare the drawers and movements of the two, the GE sounds really flimsy. I've usually seen one of the drawers cracked on the GE, never on the Samsung. And, I really like the easy-open of the bottom freezer on the Samsung. Much better for my tender sciatic nerve! I'd initially rejected FD fridges after visits to appliance stores where I'd twice I'd left with a backache from pulling on the freezer door handles. ANd that was with the drawers empty! So, if you're young and healthy, either might do fine. But since my back injury 5 years ago, the Samsung is the only one that I could safely open.
    ...See More

Samsung refrigerator problem

Q

Comments (4)
    You are not alone in your issues with your fridge. you may be entitled to a refund despite what Samsung initially tells you. Please do not buy a Samsung fridge. Mine leaked 13 months after we bought it. it ruined my floor. it ices up in the back and under the bottom drawer. it ruins food on a regular basis. When you call consumer cares at Samsung, they will tell you it is a warranty issue. That is probably a lie. Samsung fridges have known design defects since 2006 and there are class action suits against them. Search on YouTube for "Samsung fridge recall" and you will find news stories about the thousands who have demanded reparation. if you bought a Samsung fridge, send it back or buy an extended warranty. Or, research other options to get refunded the money stolen from you when Samsung sold you a "lemon".
    ...See More
  • Matt Q
    5 years ago

Yeah, I agree, 100% BS IMO. I just went ahead and had it replaced. A little not too happy about the whole thing, but it is what it is.

• Peter Brisette
    5 years ago

Did you get new housing? Do you have part # and what's new filter part? Thanks for any help

• Matt Q
    5 years ago

I went through an appliance store here in town, I can gather the part number when I get home. I honestly could have done it my self it seemed pretty easy watching the guy.

• Peter Brisette
    5 years ago

Thanks.. I would appreciate that.. Ttyl..

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    5 years ago
    We have a 2013 French door Samsung refrigerator that we inherited with a home purchase (we left the very same product at our old house).

lately the refrigerator has had this really loud hum noise but no ice production. about 4 weeks ago the water stopped dispensing, but the ice continues to be made. our home warranty service program (that came with the house and it's turning out to be a godsend) sent a technician out and he says the whole filter housing needs to be changed out, *** but they're not easy to come by.

I just got a phone call from the appliance company stating that the Home Warranty company will replace a refrigerator because the filter housing part is impossible to find.

so now I have a choice: live with a refrigerator without working in the door water and ice dispenser or hope that they replace the refrigerator with a comprable product.
  • Jen K (7b, 8a)
    5 years ago
    We have a 2013 French door Samsung refrigerator that we inherited with a home purchase (we left the very same product at our old house).

lately the refrigerator has had this really loud hum noise but no ice production. about 4 weeks ago the water stopped dispensing, but the ice continues to be made. our home warranty service program (that came with the house and it's turning out to be a godsend) sent a technician out and he says the whole filter housing needs to be changed out, *** but they're not easy to come by.

I just got a phone call from the appliance company stating that the Home Warranty company will replace a refrigerator because the filter housing part is impossible to find.

so now I have a choice: live with a refrigerator without working in the door water and ice dispenser or hope that they replace the refrigerator with a comprable product.
  • jaxo
    5 years ago

It might be impossible for the warranty company to find them from their suppliers, but they are available from somewhere because if you get service directly from Samsung, they will find them and install the new housings for a price.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    5 years ago

@Jaxo - the appliance company said they can't get the parts so they recommended it being replaced. The warranty company is giving us $2200 to buy a new one. This fridge still works (w/o the filter features) so we'll donate it to Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

• Matt Q
    5 years ago

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome news!!!!!

• Lori Barton
    5 years ago

I have also had 2 water filters EXPLODE in my Samsung French Door Fridge. Luckily, we were home when it happened so I have only had to deal with a minor clean up and no other damage. I am concerned with installing a new filter since this could happen when no one is at home, leading to massive flooding and considerable damage to my house. I am also scared that it could explode as the fridge is being opened and cause serious injury to whomever opens that door. I have been using ONLY the genuine Samsung Aqua Pure filters which I have been able to find on Ebay. I also turn off the water supply to the fridge before installing the new filter. I need to know if this is a defect in the fridge or a defect in the filter and how to prevent this from recurring. Samsung Customer Service is a joke. All they keep saying is that I am no longer under warranty. THIS IS NOT A WARRANTY ISSUE: THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!!!!

I am especially interested in what happened with Serendipity 123 since the concerns were exactly the same as mine. Was it ever determined if it was the fridge or the filter that was the cause???

• serendipity123
    5 years ago

Update:

We had the Samsung extended warranty on the fridge and contacted them for service in March 2017. The appliance repair technician that came out to diagnose the problem determined that the issue was that the original filter housing no longer fit the Samsung OEM filters for that fridge. He changed the filter housing and we have not had any more problems, to-date.

• Lori Barton
    5 years ago

Thank you. Since we are still using only the genuine filters, I don't think that's our problem. I am checking now to see if the water pressure might be too high.

• serendipity123
    5 years ago
    To clarify, we too have always used the same original Samsung filters for our fridge. However, it appears there might've been a design change in the filters that required the filter housing change. For the record, no one at Samsung acknowledged this issue in my communications with them.
  • tom75143
    5 years ago

That's because no one in Samsung Customer Service has a "clue" as to what the issue is. Even appliance repair shops I called had no clue. You would think that given the 1,000's of refrigerators they made prior to 2016...that the "Einstein" at Samsung in charge of filters...would think that a significant filter design change would affect this group. Nope... Leave your customers that purchased a Samsung in the dark when they purchase a replacement filter that doesn't work...and actually one that says "Samsung" on it. They even kept the same filter model number which further complicates the situation. Amazing. I also can't imagine that a warranty company would replace the whole refrigerator with a new one due to this issue as mentioned on this site. As mentioned...after much research...finally found the old style filters on a website (Filter Outlet). They are the same model number as the Samsung and work fine...but with the old plastic groove arrangement. I still plan to write the Attorney General for the state that Samsung is headquartered in. This situation is unacceptable...and a bit of hot water...or in this case filtered watered should be poured over the jerks that caused all this frustration...

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    5 years ago

"I also can't imagine that a warranty company would replace the whole refrigerator with a new one due to this issue as mentioned on this site" it was explained that it was a filter housing situation. That's what the appliance guy said to me; that's what he communicated to the warranty service. And their final determination: replace with their suggested Kenmore comparable product, choose another product and pay the difference once they purchase it through their buying program, or $2,200 to replace the entire thing.

We paid $100 to upgrade the program offered to us through the home purchase and this alone repays that back. For once, despite home warranty service horror stories, this worked out for us.

• Del
    5 years ago

I am really ready to pursue a class-action suit (obviously, I've gone through the same experience as most of you). Who will join me?

• J Kohler
    5 years ago

we are having the same issue so went to look at Home Depot HDX filters, Nope, all the same as the new samsung that don't work. Opened a few of the new samsung frigs. took out the filter, new style so took a picture of the new housing set up, that is why the new filters won't work on the older style. Old filter was like a nipple, new one is a flat top. Guess I will try the hot glue trick. If it works it will buy me time to fight with samsung.

new filter type and new housing

old filter type and old housing

class action!!!!!

• Steve J
    5 years ago

I too had an issue replacing my filter with a Samsung filter DA29-0003G. But I went back to Home Depot, returned the Samsung and bought their HDX filter and it worked for me. The SKU on the HDX filter that worked

is 601 365. Hope this helps someone. It is worth a shot.

• HU-813780605
    5 years ago

The new filter does not fit the old housing on my 2016 Samsung French Door Fridge.

I had to replace the filter housing with the new housing that is now a available. Part is around $215.00 plus labor. My model number is RFG298HDRS/XAA and the replacement Housing is Part # DA97-114454. Make sure you have the right one for your Fridge because suppliers will not let you return it since it is an electrical part.

Samsung customer service still does not admit they changed the design. New housing comes with the new designed filter.

• Judy Wolfram
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a Samsung French Door Refrigerator was manufactured in 2012. Had not experienced problems with the water filter until recently. There are only 2 filters. Mine was the DA29-00020B.

I was convinced that there was a change to the filter assembly, because none of the new ones fit!

They all had what appeared to be a little disk at the top, and mine was just a straight thin tube.

like the pictures above. It was then I realized that the top of my filter had broken off and stuck in the assembly. I couldn't think of any way to get in there to pull the broken piece out.

I tried the super glue trick, ( on the end of the filter. That didn't work) I tried a wire hanger. (No luck) I went to Lowe's hoping for a tool or something. I showed the pictures of the problem to one of the associates, Paul, (Lowe's Langhorne,Pa) He had the great idea! to use a small threaded rod, just slightly larger than the diameter of the hole. I screwed it in and the piece popped right out! Voila! The new filter went in perfectly!

• jerrilmester0101
    4 years ago

My water cap also was stuck inside. here are some pics. With cap and without cap. I seen the cap inside of here but did not know that was the cap I was looking at I thought it was a part of the filter part so this is why I posted some pics. This is the filter I use all the time for the last 3yrs and never had any problems and never remembered seeing this cap.

• dockside_gw
    4 years ago

Bottom line: Samsung makes junk appliances and its service/parts department is filled with incompetents. We had a Samsung washer that bounced all over and was recalled (45 days after we purchased it) because it was exploding for other purchasers. We should have learned a lesson then, but didn't. Bought a Samsung dishwasher last November that had to be returned and another one sent out and installed. After a month, the rollers on the upper rack broke. Called Samsung. They sent a toe kick. Called them again. They sent rollers for the lower rack which were much larger. Called the yet again and explained that, after looking at the parts online, the rollers for the upper rack were part and parcel of a wire holder, called a basket, into which the plastic upper rack was inserted so needed an $80 wire "basket" Before another part arrived, something else broke and we said "that's it," returned it and got a refund. No more Samsung for us. Then the box containing the basket arrived. Upon opening, it was not the basket but the third upper rack for silverware, knives, etc. I would NEVER, ever even consider another Samsung appliance.

• HU-155464241
    4 years ago

OK, as so many others have described here, the new filters do not fit my 2012 refrigerator. Samsung customer service admits the filters have been changed & the filter housing has to be replaced to use the new filters. They originally insisted they "could not " cover the cost because my unit is out of warranty. I insisted there was nothing wrong with my refrigerator, so the warranty issue was irrelevant. I told them I was a long time, supportive customer, who bragged about how much I love my Samsung fridge. I mentioned this is why people file class action law suits & listed cases where other manufactures (Vitamix & Cuisinart) had notified me of problems with appliances & offered a credit or replacement part. Since this was a known problem they created with the new filters (probably manufactured at a lower price by a new supplier), they should have sent notices to owners warning of the problem, proposing a fix & made arrangements to send service personnel to install the new housing. Samsung could have contracted with a company to have these repairs done at a fraction of the cost that I'll have to pay for labor. After 2 phone calls & the addition of a 3rd person to "assist with the problem," they finally agreed to cover the cost of the parts using a 1 time warranty extension & assigned a ticket number with a local repair company.

Call Samsung (800-726-7864) & insist on a satisfactory outcome!!!

• Matt Q
    4 years ago

Oh wow!!!! Awesome job! I am going to call them immediately. Moving forward, we will never buy another Samsung appliance again.

• Gavriel Lvr
    4 years ago

Hello,

Same issue - old filter and new filter wont go into the fridge. Used quite a lot of force.

Any usefull tips?

Didnt manage with a hanger to do anything.

I opened the water a bit but nothing happened as well.

is this plastic in the picture in the house of the fridge disturbing? If so how do i get iot out?

• Rob McAuley
    4 years ago

It looks like the problem isn't a redesign of the fridge, but filter tips coming off and lodging in the housing.

We had a water leak after I popped the filter out, and reinserted it. Normally, no water leaks out when you remove the filter, but we were getting a spray of water. Screwing the filter back in seemed to stop it, but I noticed shortly after that water was pooling at the front corners of the fridge. I turned off the water supply, mopped up the mess, and it stayed dry. Googling the problem led me here.

I checked the filter I had just removed, and compared it to the new filters still in their boxes. One model was from the same manufacturer - Royal (and ordered at the same time). The other was from a different manufacturer (Denali). The Royal filter that came out of the fridge looked just like the photo on the box, but was missing the center bit with the "O" ring. In fact it looked like the problem filter in J Kohler's posting from July 30, 2018. It was a different design from the Denali filter, where the "O" ring was on a one-piece stem. No photo of this, as I've installed it in the fridge, and don't want to pull it out again.

I used the long screw method, and taped a 4" screw to a driver, and got it set into the nipple that was stuck in the filter housing in the fridge, then pulled it out with needle-nosed pliers. Interesting that when I pushed it back on the leaky filter, it seemed to set in quite tightly. But I will not put it back in the fridge, nor will I ever use the other Royal filter!

One thing I noticed after I pulled out the broken nipple, was there there is a small valve button that the filter presses against that causes the water to flow to the filter. When the nipple became detached in my fridge, the valve was pushed in, and that's why the water was spraying out when the filter was removed. After I got the nipple out, I could turn the water supply back on, and no more leaks!

I'd be really nervous using the crazy glue method to remove the nipple. You may end up gluing your filter to the housing, and that's a much bigger problem.

Bad Nipple:

Good Nipple:

Note that both filters have the same part number. Good luck.

• hollybrian1
    4 years ago

We had the same problem ... the newer filters did not work. As someone mentioned earlier (sorry I don't remember your name and there are too many comments to re-read), we used a coat hanger with a small hook on the end to take this little piece out of the housing that was in the fridge. I think this little piece doesn't come off the new filters but if you have an old filter this little piece could be stuck in the fridge. We got it out and the new filters fit! Thanks everyone (and Google) for the comments! It saved us from buying a new water filter housing. Here is a picture of the old filter and the piece we got out of the fridge with a coat hangar.

• James Ferioli
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Problem with your DA29-0003G filter not fitting? There is a small tab up inside the filter housing that has to be moved in the slot all the way to the end (you can see this with a mirror). Then the new style filter will fit. It took a month, and with no help from Samsung a repairman from Sears figured it out!

• J Bourgeois
    3 years ago

ended up going with an in-line filter instead, but still getting some leaks from the filter housing.

trying to put the OEM filter back in, but can't decipher all of the methods listed here. pics please!

• Rob McAuley
    3 years ago

Here's a pic from an earlier post that may help. The filter has a nipple on the end that is supposed to have a ring pushed on to it. The pic shows the nipple and the ring. They should be attached, and should never come apart!

The ring holds an O-ring, and seats into the fridge. On the crappy filters, the ring comes off the end of the filter, and stays in the fridge, holding the water line open so it will leak all over.

If you remove the filter, and the ring does not come out with it, you have to first, turn off the water supply to the fridge, as it will be leaking (or spraying) out of the filter socket.

To remove the ring, I found a long (4") screw and taped it to the end of a screwdriver. I pushed the screw into the opening of the ring, and screwed it in a bit. Once it caught, I tried pulling out the screwdriver. One time, the tape held, and I was able to pull out the screw with the ring attached. The next time (same cheap filter brand), I had to use needle-nosed pliers to reach in and pull out the screw when the tape failed to hold the screw to the driver.

In both cases, the ring popped out (attached to the screw), and I was able to insert the new filter. Water turned on, no leaks, all good until the next filter replacement.

• Happy Camo
    3 years ago

Need to replace my current filter and after reading others comments, I am starting to worry. Samsung after service is usually good I found but their products in overall can be less practical and reliable comparing with other reputable companies. Not impressed with Samsung French door fridge as I had a few issues with it within the first few years. So far Samsung tv seems ok but not so much with fridge, washing machine, oven. Not keen to buy much Samsung appliances if I can avoid it.

• HU-303272982
    3 years ago

My French door fridge had the same problem ... I was using WSS-1 WaterSentinel for some time ... my most recent order however ... supplied filters that no longer fit ... the "key" has changed ... I discovered Clear Choice filters... they fit perfectly ... DA29-00003G ... no shaving required ... appears they still have the "old key" ... I've already ordered a supply as back up ... frustrating ... stuff ... and now I'm stuck with four WSS-1 Filters ...

• eugene lapierre
    3 years ago

HU-20234943

6 months ago

last modified: 6 months ago

Problem with your DA29-0003G filter not fitting? There is a small tab up inside the filter housing that has to be moved in the slot all the way to the end (you can see this with a mirror). Then the new style filter will fit. It took a month, and with no help from Samsung a repairman from Sears figured it out!

Replying to the above comment, I have the DA29-0003G. I have always used the genuine filters. When I installed a replacement it seemed to loosely engage. It must have done this last time and I did not notice. I don't have a known correct filter or it may be I need to move the tab in the slot. I may take the housing out to be able to examine. Thanks HU-20234943

• Sheila M Angove
    2 years ago

Thank you worked perfect. 45 degree angle on both bottom right tabs.

• Kristin
    2 years ago

I am beyond frustrated. I thought I was going crazy. I bought the side by side fridge in 2015 so of course it is out of warranty. I havent been able to change the filter in over a year. I have bought over 4 different brands of water filters and to no avail did they fit. I then thought something was stuck where the water filter goes and tried to figure out if something was stuck. Only until 2 weeks ago did I decide to google this issue and I found this chat. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only person with this problem. I contacted samsung and I havent gotten anywhere. I asked to talk to a manager today and of course no one called me back. I shouldn't have to pay to get this issue fixed nor should I have to waddle down a water filter for it to fit. I want a permanent fix. I told samsung if they do not fix this that I will file a class action lawsuit against them. I bought this fridge because of the samsung name and now they wont back up their product. Out of pure principal i will file a lawsuit. Depending on Samsung's answer i will let you know if they resolve this problem or not. I'm mad.

• philnelson33
    2 years ago

Kristin, I share your pain and frustration. It is beyond understanding why a company would change something like a water filter mechanism that requires a different part and yet keepthe same part number. After much frustration, I found a filter that works. The Ecofresca, model number EFDA2903.

• Night An'Fey
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A class action suit for an unresolved defective issue in a re-design is perfectly appropriate. Part of the purpose of a CA is for a company to more deeply consider future re-designs. If you do this, count me in. In the meantime, thank you @philnelson33 for the Ecofresca lead!

• Rob McAuley
    2 years ago

Isn't the problem due to defective aftermarket filters?? There are quite a few posts that clearly lay out the problem with filter nipples coming off and getting stuck in the housing. That’s not a Samsung problem.

If people are having a different problem, then they need to explain it better!

• Kristin
    2 years ago

Jen- the main reason I bought the fridge was because of the water feature. So it is not a waste of time considering I spent good money on this fridge and samsung should fix this issue. They make billions of dollars so why wouldn't they fix this fridge problem they created? I have a life but it doesnt take much more time out of my life telling my story to an attorney considering I've spent quite a few hours on the phone arguing with samsung.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

A class action lawsuit for a safety issue is one thing but for your filter not fitting into the refrigerator is frivolity. There are many ways one can filter their water. And there are ample potential fixes listed among these comments. LG refused a Kenmore refrigerator recall for a faulty compressors - that's worth a pursuit of legal action because the whole refrigerator is defective. This is not a problem it is an inconvenience. Be mad but maintain perspective. The doors open, the fridge still chills, the freezer freezes and all you can't do is stick your cup in the door and get filtered water. It's a diabolical life.

• philnelson33
    2 years ago

Rob McAuley, The problem was/is Samsung chose to change the water filtration system. In doing so, the water filters were changed to fit the new system The new filters were given the same part number as the filters used before the change. Like many others, I tried to talk to Samsung without success. They won’t listen and I want purchase another Samsung product.

• Kristin
    2 years ago

Phil when I type in that water filter in Google I cant bring that model up. What website do you buy that filter from?

• Kristin
    2 years ago

After about 6 phone calls Samsung finally fixed my fridge for free. They put new housing so now the normal water filter will fit.

• stevewpb
    2 years ago

Allfilters.com sells the spiropuresp-sa003 which fits the old style samsung da29-00003g receiver perfectly. no need to get a new fixture for the refrigerator. they are based in las vegas nv, they are reliable.

• kemac94
    2 years ago

All… you’re not alone. Driving us crazy! This worked for us…https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01109722/

We’re surprised but new style filters fit our 2012 refrigerator!

• Michele Stoddard
    2 years ago

Always use Samsung brand filters. Filters from other manufacturers, even if they indicate compatibility, may damage your fridge and water filter housing, or break off and leave pieces of the filter inside (like the cap), preventing a new filter from being inserted.

A few years ago, the HAF-CU1 model's design was changed from a 2-rib lock to a 3-rib lock in order to provide a tighter fit and better seal. However, the new filter design will still fit in older models of refrigerators, which is why the model and part number was not changed. The first time you switch to the 3-rib type, you may need to perform the "fully unlock the housing" procedure described here, even though the old 2-rib type was also a genuine filter.

If the old filter inserts easily but the new filter does not, it is because the old filter is not opening the locking mechanism all the way to make room for the correct Samsung brand filter. It only opens the lock enough for itself to get out.

To fix this, hold the old filter in the locking mechanism and turn it all the way open before letting it come out. This is sort of like using the old filter as a screwdriver to open the lock all the way. The steps are:

1. Temporarily reinstall the old filter.
    2. While pressing the filter into the housing, turn it to the left as far as it will go, even past the point where the filter could be removed, until the filter can no longer be turned left while held into the housing.
    3. Remove the old filter, and install the new filter.

If this method does not work, or the old filter is no longer available to use, visit our Support Center to request service.

• d. maxwell
    7 months ago

This is EXACTLY the problem we are having!

• Cindy Bergstrom
    7 months ago

I had someone come fix ours from Samsung. And they said everyone is having the same pro. It should be recalled. The expensive frig is junk. The ice maker is junk, cubed ice comes out like crushed. The filter light is constantly on. We have a seamless steel dishwasher from Samsung too. $250 to have someone fix it, well the fix didn’t last long and then they wanted another $250 to fix it. I went online and fixed it myself. I would never buy Samsung appliances again. Issue after issue. For $500 to have someone come out to fix the dishwasher I’d rather buy a new one. It’s ridiculous. And they both were bought brand new and only 4 years old!