SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_schultz8892

Seeking tree recommendations for Central Valley backyard

Megan
8 years ago

Hi everybody. I'm hoping to find some tree selection help. I'm in the hot central valley (Modesto/Fresno/Bakersfield area) and have a backyard that needs some trees. I'm hoping to put in at least three: two in the back corners of the yard and one small tree or large bush next to the house.

For the back of the yard I am looking for large shade trees that are fast growing and drought tolerant. I'm thinking of Chinese Pistache but I hear that they are very popular right now and it's hard to find larger ones. I'm also not sure if they would interfere too much with the power lines overhead. Does anybody have any other ideas for this space?

For the patio space (which is Southern exposure), I'd like something that is also drought tolerant (or at least okay with drip once or twice in the 100 degree summer weather), pretty, not messy and okay close to a house (i.e. no foundation-threatening roots). I was thinking of a Palo Verde tree/bush. I was also thinking of dwarf citrus, but don't want anything edible so close to the house (who knows what kind of pesticides and paint residue on in that dirt!). I like Japanese maples but I think they'd get burned and we'd be tracking leaves into the house. In addition to the requirements above, it'd be fun to have something that attracts hummingbirds or butterflies. I really don't know very many plants, so I'm sure there are some much better options out there. What are they? =)

Pictures are below. Let me know if I need to provide any more information.

Comments (4)