SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monica_kim45

Money Tree (Office with window)

Monica K
8 years ago

Hello!

Last night I bought my first Money Tree from Home Depot. I live in Los Angeles, CA and work in an office with a window (see picture attached). I've been reading on how to take the best care of my beautiful tree and ran into some questions.. and now I am here. I really appreciate you reading through this.

WATERING

What I understand:

• Water every 7-10 days when soil on top is dry (1-2" deep).
  • Make sure water goes all the way through that it drains at the bottom.
  • Don't water near the stem for it can rot.
  • Keep the environment humid if possible. Use saucer with water and pebbles.

My questions:

• Do i use tap water to water my plant? Then do I run the water on the pot directly to allow enough water to drain? Or should I grab a cup so that there is less pressure on the soil?
  • I also read that you can mist. Is that enough water to simply mist or do you mist in addition to watering the pot?
  • My plant sits above the bottom of the pot (if that makes sense..). I was wondering if I can put water under so that there is water evaporating upwards but my plant will not be in contact with water directly to help it keep humid. You can see from picture that there is a lot of room under because I'm using my old orchid's pot which has another plastic cup inside that's keeping my plant above the bottom of the pot. Sorry if this is confusing :(

LIGHTING

I am confused about lighting. I am fortunate enough to have sunlight coming into my office through my window. The window has a film that doesn't allow outside to see inside so the sunlight is filtered. The sun goes away around 10-11am.

Questions:

• Should I put it where it gets this sunlight directly? Or should I place it where it does not hit sunlight at all?
  • I'm afraid that the sun may be too much as it adjusts to my office since its move from Home Depot. I don't want it to go into shock :( I learned that plants die like that the hard way.

Thank you so much for looking at my questions! I look forward to seeing my plant grow strong and healthy.

Comments (24)