SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauriedutch

Money tree pachira plant unhappy -- help!

lauriedutch
18 years ago

I acquired a money tree (pachira) plant as a gift last November. The nursery transplanted it, so I don't know what size the original pot was. The plant has never been very happy here. It has four lovely braided trunks.

Several of the leaves are turning yellow; they are at various stages of turning yellow so that a few are yellow and others are starting to turn yellow by getting brown spots then turning yellow. A few of the green bunches of leaves at the top are drooping. Watering day doesn't perk them up.

I have been careful to avoid overwatering. I water once a week and by the time I water it, the soil at the top has pulled back from the edges a bit.

I read that these plants like lots of bright indirect light, but I don't think I've found a happy location for the plant yet. I'm in Colorado where it's very sunny. It didn't like our NW bay window, so I moved it away from all direct light across the room for the rest of winter. It perked up a bit there but recently has gone back to looking unhappy. I recently the plant to a north-facing window but it's too soon to tell if it's happier there.

In mid-summer, the plant will get some direct sunlight; should I close the blind in the afternoon to avoid the plant from being in direct sunlight?

Do these plants like humidity, and if so, should I spray the leaves once in a while since it's so bone dry here in Colorado?

Will a cool breeze from the window bother the plant? I usually open the north-facing window at night on hot days.

Do money trees like/need any plant food or something like Miracid once a year or more often?

Any and all advice on how to cheer up the plant is welcome. Thanks.

LaurieDutch

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor