Sons wedding

debbie12153

Not sure what I should wear. It's a beach wedding. Brides maids are wearing short dresses. Mother of the bride is deceased. Should I wear a long or a short dress as mother of the groom.

SaveComment36Like
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CV Patton

I think you can wear either, and you should wear what suits you best. Having said that, you can take cues from what the bridesmaids are wearing. Are they wearing traditional solid color matching dresses from a place like David's Bridal? Or are they wearing individual dresses of their own choosing? Is there a reception afterwards at a fancy venue?

Save     Thanked by debbie12153
debbie12153

Bridesmaids are all wearing the same short royal blue halter style with lace top chiffon like skirted dress, so dressy but certainly not overly so. The brides dress is pretty fancy. All from David's bridal. There is a reception at the hotel where the wedding takes place. The reception will be in a cocktail lounge from 5 to 9 pm open only to wedding party and guests. The wedding is 4:30

Save    
lilacinjust

Go with the tone of the wedding, and don't outdo he bride. If you've got the gams, go for short!

1 Like Save     Thanked by debbie12153
lilacinjust

Sounds fairly fancy for a beach wedding. Also, think about whether you'll be wearing different shoes on the beach vs. after. Make sure the dress looks good both ways.

CV Patton

Is the wedding in the hotel, or on the beach?

Save    
debbie12153

It's a big beach wedding party...7 gals and 7 guys. I'm thinking of going short and yes, I will need 2 diff pairs of shoes, no doubt.

Save    
debbie12153

I should add, it's a very small beach...weather took care of that. Some guest will be seated on the deck right behind the wedding, and close, not far. Reception will be in the lounge connected to beach area and deck. It's in Florida and will be held in May

Save    
CV Patton

Chiffon fabric would be pretty and beachy, but I would choose something that won't blow up or around. Beaches can be very windy. What colors are you considering?

Save    
CV Patton

My daughter's bridesmaids wore navy short dresses, I wore something similar to this dress

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_3-4-sleeve-beaded-stretch-lace-dress-269429-269429-21082--1_dresses-mother-of-the-bride-dresses

I am not much of a long dress type. But then I had to worry about my pasty white legs.... Oh well.

debbie12153

cvpatton, I mentioned the skirts might be an issue....oh well. I have looked at so many colors. I want sleeves. I've even considered a little black dress with a somewhat shiny fabric with all shades of pink, aqua, off white, and black, kind of watercolor pattern. It's not a bolero, but also not a blazer style. I can't wear ivory or royal blue, brides wishes. Some friends have said I shouldn't wear black, while others say they wore back to their kids wedding.....I'm lost! The aqua worries me with the Royal blue...is that really a concern?

Save    
debbie12153

I'm not a long dress gal either. Ivepurchased so many dresses online and will be returning the this evening. Macy's is going to shoot me. I have 6 or 7...lol

Save    
CV Patton

Ha, I did the same thing. I also wanted sleeves. What are the other colors that the bride is using for her wedding theme? Are her decorations casual or more formal? What are the groomsmen wearing?

krmarchese

My opinion only - wear a tea length dress. I don't think you should wear black - beach wedding in the sun...hot. I wore a very simple dress to my step daughter's wedding in a similar setting- not knowing what color or style the MOB & MOG would be wearing. Go to a bridal shop/upscale dress shop & they will give you good guidance.

debbie12153

I am doing the centerpieces...beach theme, shells, sand, candles in bubble bowls. She mentioned bringing coral color into the bouquets. Guys will be wearing linen or beige...not firmed of yet because of problems. The jacket I mentioned is good for the beach them, but the black, maybe not. I checked David's bridal, even tried one dress on. Their mothers dresses are mostly very matronly and many look horribly cheap but with a high price.

I can't do tea length. I look horrible in it, horrible!

Save    
CV Patton

I agree that David's MOB dresses are very matronly looking. And not very...beachy. I think that I agree with you about the black. It might seem severe. I am a little worried about a jacket being hot. Here is something short with sleeves in coral http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/style-co.-lace-shift-dress-only-at-macys?ID=2682768&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=#fn=DRESS_LENGTH%3DKnee Length%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D1208%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D1

CV Patton

I have had good luck with Nordstrom's dresses for special occasions. Their website lets you choose sleeve length using the silhouette tab.

debbie12153

CV....I've been looking at that dress online. I may order it. I'm going to be the queen of returns soon. LOL. I forgot about Nordstroms! Thanks for the reminder

Save    
gellchom

Have you asked the bride whether she prefers you wear long or short?

My advice: don't decide anything in advance about length, style, or color (except to avoid white and navy). Go shopping and see what you find that you love -- you may surprise yourself with something you wouldn't have considered if you limited yourself in advance.

I agree to keep in mind something that will look good with different shoes. Also I'd think about a color that won't clash with navy (think photos) -- but that's almost anything.

I agree that bridal shops are the worst place to find a good MOG dress -- at least they were for me. Higher prices, lower quality, nothing stylish or interesting, takes weeks, and you may not like it once it's made in your size, but you can't cancel it.

Just shop where you know the clothes are great for you. It's a big day for you, too -- you deserve to feel smashing.

Have fun!

debbie12153

Gellchom...Bride is fine with short. I can do navy but not Royal blue, ivory, or white. We've discussed that. I've been shopping and I'm amazed how many stores have 3x online than in store. I'll find it, I have some time. Macy's is great to buy in advance, but Dillards is 30 days return only...sucks. Still need to check Nordstroms.

Save    
CV Patton

How fun to be helping with the centerpieces. They sound perfect for a beach wedding.

Save    
gellchom

Nordstrom is great about returns in my experience. Online is hard but you may not have a choice Start early to have time for returns And leave time to find shoes and accessories.

So don't decide about length or colors or anything else in advance. Finding party dresses is hard enough!

debbie12153

I have more dresses coming. I'm starting early so hopefully I don't have to just settle. thank you ladies for your advice!

Save    
gellchom

Post photos or the style numbers so we can see!

debbie12153

Gellchom will do a bit later. Don't really think I've found it yet.

Save    
CV Patton

I get out the MOB dress and go out to dinner with hubby on our daughter's anniversary. I picked one that I would want to wear again! Good luck and may you love the dress and have many happy memories of the day.

Save    
Laurie

I would wear a knee length dress. Have you considered silver, grey, charcoal, gold or champagne?

My son's outdoor wedding is this July. I found my dress at Nordstroms (online). It was not under the category of "Mother of the Bride Dresses"....it was under "Cocktail & Party Dresses". It does not show up in the sub-category "knee length dresses" (even though it's 39" long...hits the top of the knee on me). It's listed under "short dresses". They didn't have it in any stores near me. I bought two sizes and will send one back.
Free shipping and free returns. Excellent customer service.

debbie12153

Laurie, i can't wear ivory, or champagne per bride. I've not found anything in silver I like. Gold doesn't look all that good with my skin tone. I am definitely a cool tone. 39 inches is definitely below my knee, so dresses that can't be hemmed are out at that length. It looks like a navy blue color will be the winner...not deep dark but not Royal. I'm anxious to receive the dress I ordered from Nordstroms.

this update reminded me I didn't post the dresses ordered. I will get that done by tomorrow. Dresses I've ordered, and that is many, have also been listed under cocktail dresses. I've returned so many dresses it's embarrassing.

1 Like Save    
gellchom

Hey, how was the wedding? What did you wear? I'm sure you found something great and looked fabulous.

debbie12153

Gellchom..I'm sorry I disappeared. I found a great dress. Here I am dancing with my son. Think I was having fun? click on it so you can see how much fun.. Dress had shear chiffon sleeves...perfect for outside and inside

1 Like Save    
gellchom

Gorgeous! And you sure do look like it was fun. Congratulations.

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

Bravo! What a great dress! And yes, you're having fun!

1 Like Save    
CV Patton
Perfect!!! What a great dress and pic! You look beautiful. Thanks so much for posting it.
1 Like Save    
gellchom

I love your shoes and the cake, too.

1 Like Save    
rrah

Love the dress and especially LOVE the shoes. Do you recall where you purchased them? My daughter will be married next year. It's way too early for me to buy shoes or a dress, but heck...I love those shoes.

Save    
debbie12153

rrah, I got the shoes from dsw, I believe. The brand is Kate and Kelly. The style is Mandy. They were really a bargain price.

Save    
mrspete

With the description you've given, I'd go with a short dressy dress. Since the bridesmaids are wearing navy (that is THE color right now), I suggest you go with something in a warm tone so you'll contrast instead of blending. Yellow, pink, or red?

My daughter's also getting married in May in a casual outdoor ceremony, and I just bought a dress very similar to this one at Belk. The coral color and lace are exactly the same as this dress, but my neckline is more boatneck, and my hem is scalloped. I'm planning to wear silver shoes and jewelry.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Why My Son’s Room Will Be Red: An Expert Weighs In on Colors for Baby
Historical facts, trend recaps and enthusiastic support for painting your nursery any darn color you like
Full Story
Bedrooms Room of the Day: Childhood Bedroom Is Redone for Visiting Son
A couple’s adult son and his new wife now can stay in luxe personalized quarters when they’re in town
Full Story
Weddings How One Couple Got a Perfectly Intimate Backyard Wedding
Vintage pieces, natural materials and close family and friends are an ideal combination for a Pittsburgh couple
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We are a residential and commercial construction company servicing the Metro-Detroit area. We are fully licensed... Read More