SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickintulsa

So why can't I grow cilantro in my yard?

rickintulsa
8 years ago

As the warm weather approaches, my thoughts turn to spring planting. My urban yard in Tulsa gets enough full sun to keep a happy vegetable garden and a constantly changing small English garden with a variety of vines, shrubs and perennials. Then there are the herbs - nothing is more enjoyable in the summer than pulling some basil or rosemary off and just rubbing the leaves for nothing more than the smell. The plants always grow way more than we can ever use. In years past, my wife has made basil pesto, placed it into ice cube trays, then kept the "nuggets" bagged in the freezer to use all year long. My herb garden sits on the east side of my house, an urban neighborhood as I said, with my neighbor's house and a big shady oak tree no more than 30 feet away. My herbs only get about 3 hours of sun, but it seems to be enough for the basil, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme and tarragon.

So why can't I grow cilantro there? I have tried every which way I can think of. In a pot in the shade. In a pot in the sun. In the bed where everything else is happy. Keep it watered. Don't water it and let it put down deeper roots. I have failed in many different ways, I figure I only need to succeed once. Last year I bought 2 Bonnie plants, one cilantro and one flat parsley. I planted them a foot apart in the herb garden. The parsley took off and thrived, has actually stayed green all winter and I expect it to start growing again in the fall. The cilantro grew a little, bolted, withered, yellowed, and croaked.

I hear of Tulsa gardeners with well-established cilantro patches that go to seed and come back every year. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!