SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schul1dj

Water heater leaks

Dan S
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Just moved here. Replaced water heater with a new direct vent 50 gallon gas. Pressure relief valve (PRV) leaks after almost every morning shower session, by two adults.

At the advice of a plumber friend, I put on an Amtrol 100 psi tank. On the cold side, three feet downline from the heater. For a few weeks the leaks stopped, but the tank failed. It's full of water. The PRV is back to its old, leaky self. The PRV is rated 150 psi.

I had the city water superintendent stop by. He tested 75 psi at my garden hose. He says that's the norm. My house does have a backflow preventer. I had a plumber stop by that recommended replacing the expansion tank, PRV, and adding an extension to the PRV discharge pipe, extending it to my floor drain.

Here's my dilemma. I'm considering putting on a pressure reducing valve, but I'm concerned that's a waste as the street pressure is not bad. If not, what's the solution on the inside? My plumber friend says empty/replace the expansion tank and replace the PRV. I'm considering:

- larger expansion tank

- same expansion tank

- new PRV, no matter what

I'm ready to spend a few bucks to find a long term solution. Help?

Signed,

Entry Level DIYer

Comments (22)