SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

What all can I do to prevent hot water heater leaks?

pupwhipped
11 years ago

We purchased an old lake house and have been renovating it for quite awhile so we have been away from our main home for two month stretches at a time. And you guessed it, we had a slow leak of a hot water heater at our main home that has caused significant damage. Grrrrr. Going forward, what all can I do to try to avoid this situation? This electric hot water heater is in the kitchen area in a closet. It is a bit hard to access. We did not have any kind of pan under it, so maybe that is one idea. Are there alarms that might help? Although if we are not there, then we won't hear an alarm.....unless there is some kind that can be incorporated into our existing security system? Just throwing out thoughts.

Would love to hear ideas from others on what to do going forward. I was just reading a thread here about turning off the water supply to the whole house. We've never done that before, but maybe we should. The only problem is the thing is quite hard for me to turn on and off, and many times I go back to the main house without my husband.

Thanks for any tips, tricks or ideas. Sure don't want to go through this ever again if we can help it.

Comments (20)