SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Movie-Watching Fools!

chisue
8 years ago

OK, we were feeling desperate. We'd gotten at least ten movies from Redbox here on Maui, and the list was fast approaching "airplane movies" -- you know, things you will only watch because you are a captive audience.

We signed up for Netflix. We had to sign up before the site would show us the inventory. After they take your CC info and start your 'free month', they show you probably 100 titles of movies and TV series. They ask you to select some to give them an idea of what you would like. There was not ONE movie we would watch, nor any of the ten we'd just enjoyed from Redbox.

Then we went on to the whole inventory -- nothing. Nothing we "searched" came up either.

Click. We canceled -- won't take effect until March 15.

Did we do something wrong? Is there a *better* selection that we missed? We'd selected the 'middle' price range -- think it was $9.99/month.

Today we watched the last half of "99 Homes". (A winner.) Tomorrow and Tuesday we'll watch recorded "Downton Abbey" and "Mercy Street" from last weekend. And then...and then... I guess we will read.

Comments (22)

• plllog
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wondered, since I always thought of Netflix dvd rental service as the place to go for the obscure if you're not in a big city with a cinephile store. (I'm not a subscriber) So I googled and found this article. It talks about the great shrinking Netflix catalog. So sad.

• chisue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

plllog -- Gread read. Thank you.

OK, so we aren't able to find anything on Netflix...what ELSE has good titles? Amazon?

Help Save Our Teatime Matinees!

• Related Discussions

Just watched a spooker movie...wana watch it too???

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd love to but I cannot access the American site in Canada. I will keep an eye out for it - read the write up/reviews and it sounds good. Ta, Peggy
    ...See More

What are we watching at the Movies?

Q

Comments (33)
    Just watched Hidden Figures and loved it! I didn't find it dreary at all? I do like the space race and I was really profoundly moved visiting the Kennedy Space Center a few years ago. And I just love stories about strong and smart women so it was a GO for me! Here's a video about Katherine Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r8gJqKyIGhE
    ...See More

Movie recommendations for watching with your spouse

Q

Comments (29)
    Our family liked "Unorthodox" but that's because we love music and the part about someone leaving their family and home to pursue musical dreams in Berlin resonated with us. Also the pluses and minuses of leaving a close knit religious community. Other than some of the others mentioned, we enjoy "Atypical" which is a series, and also the movie "Holiday in the Wild" but only for the eye candy. The plot was as trite as could be. If Kristen Davis was a vet then I'm one too. One review called it stupid but charming. A poor woman's "Out of Africa."
    ...See More

What movies have you watched over and over again?

Q

Comments (165)
    I don't see many movies, and have been pondering if there are any that I would watch again or have watched again. A few came to mind: Yankee Doodle Dandy (James Cagney) Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version) A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version) Various other movies from the 1930s & 1940s, when I had access to TCM and AMC, and when both showed mostly movies (Cagney, Marx Brothers, Bob Hope, Crosby - if enough years have passed since the last time I saw them) Battleground Moonstruck Out of Africa Master and Commander (just recently) When my DD was an early teen, she loved a movie called "Wish Upon a Star" with a young Katherine Heigl. She watched it multiple times so inadvertently I did also. Should I count the things that she watched over and over as a toddler? The TV production of Peter Pan with Mary Martin was watched daily for over a month - she learned all the moves to the dance with Tiger Lily.
    ...See More
  • Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

What are some of your favorite movies? What genres do you like? I tend to use Netflix more for TV shows than movies but I've always enjoyed the service.

I have Amazon Prime but the only thing I watch on it is Downton Abbey,but I got Prime for the free 2 day shipping.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

We have Netflix streaming and DVDs and have had both since Day One of each. With that in mind, we don't watch many movies. I'm happy to have them available, as well as Amazon Prime, for when the mood hits. They're really pretty affordable.

It is true that Netflix's collections were more extensive and less changing in the past. The advance of competitors has made their service more of a hot issue among content providers and Netflix has become more selective with how they spend their content acquisition dollars. Just a month or so ago, I went to rewatch a European drama series I'd watched before and found that it had passed off the Netflix list the month before.

• plllog
    8 years ago

You've tried the local video shops, right? Amazon does have a lot of good titles.

Do you have an HDTV with an HDMI socket? Do also you have a good internet connection that allows for good streaming? If so, you might try getting an EZCast stick, or a Googlecast with the EZCast app. Then you can throw anything you can stream to your smartphone or tablet to the TV easily. You can also use a laptop or desktop computer but those are less easy.

Acorn has streaming video of the BBC/PBS type. YouTube has had a lot of interesting and obscure video, though I don't know about their current offerings. The PBS site has some, I think. And there's always Hulu.

There are also places where you can buy used DVDs for the same price as renting (possibly including Amazon), though I don't know about the postage cost and time to receive. You can resell them, and make back a lot of what you spend.

Perhaps you can organize a movie library among the snowbirds? Or maybe even in your town? Give one to get one?

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    8 years ago

I don't see the use for it myself. Daughter has it plys done stick thibg, yet for me the selections suck. They like it. I have yet to find anything I'd watch. I do like renting from Redbox.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

Are there still local video shops? I almost never watch a movie but sometimes I think I'd like to, and there used to be a video rental place on darn near every corner, and even in some supermarkets and now I can't find any. The local Blockbuster went out of business. I just wondered if there is such a thing as video rental any more, except for Red Box and I never can find anything there that I want to see.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Many people find the DVD movie collections at their local libraries to be very satisfactory until they've worked their way through the available titles. That doesn't work for us, our movie watching tends to be more on impulse. Many of the newer streaming services that cater to the "cut the cord" market are okay for people who are trying to save money or are on limited budgets and are willing to compromise variety but they aren't for everybody.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

When I tried Netflix about two years ago, I was only interested in their streaming selection which I found pathetic. All the new movies were only available as DVD's. I have enjoyed the selection on Amazon Prime, but I've gone through their free inventory of the types of movies I like, so I'm stuck again. When new movies become available to rent, I usually rent them through Amazon and stream them to my television through my Apple TV device. Sadly, many movies and television series that I would like to view again are not available on any of the streaming services.

• msgenie51642
    8 years ago

I really don't watch movies much, so I don't know if my information is even helpful. But if you have cable TV or possibly Satellite (I don't know about Satellite because I have cable), there are quite a few channels that have movies. There are two Hallmark channels, HBO, and the like. I'm not that familiar with them, but it's worth a try.

• lucillle
    8 years ago

I find that Instantwatcher comes up with some good titles sometimes

http://instantwatcher.com

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I'm happy with what I find from both Netflix and Amazon prime. I can always find a movie that surprises me, a documentary, or quite often, a TV series.

I don't hesitate to rent one of the newer movies from Amazon, should we see something that appeals to us. The rentals are between $4-5, a pretty good deal for a cozy night at home.

What kind of movies are you looking for.....a particular genre that you both enjoy?

• grainlady_ks
    8 years ago

We have ROKU (you might want to do some research on those streaming units - https://www.roku.com/) and then pay a monthly subscription to watch Netflix ($7.99) and Acorn (British TV viewing - $4.99). We split viewing time about 50/50 between those choices. We also have basic cable TV and watch it the least, mostly PBS/Create.

We're big British/Australian/Canadian TV fans, and we also like documentaries of all kinds, but skip movies almost entirely -- so it's different strokes for different folks, but we certainly get what we pay for - and then some.

Our local library has a great selection of videos, so that is my back-up place for entertainment. You might want to check your local library for what they have available. I've never rented a video from Red Box - I'd go to the library and check their free selection before I'd do that....

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I will check the library. I can't do streaming because I have limited internet. Renting from Red Box is cheap....like 1.98 or so and they are handy....at the pharmacies and supermarkets, but I can never find anything I want to watch. I like documentaries the best too

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

We have 2 friends who subscribe to Netflix Canada for $9 month. Looking thru their libraries there isn't one show that I would watch, much less pay a monthly fee for.

• chisue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He who holds the remote is just now discovering the options we have. LOL

We have the same model Sony BluRay at home and and on Maui. We have never investigated the various options until we tried the Netflix option yesterday. (Bomb.)

We haven't cared because our library at home usually has whatever we are looking for (free) as soon as it's available anywhere. That's not the case here on Maui, and we are staying longer on Maui now. Here we can rent "Shane", "I Was A Male War Bride", etc. We got "Black Swan" from our branch of the Maui library -- one of the few 'recent' movies. We are also able to use our cable HD-DVR and watch recorded PBS programs at teatime.

Our BluRay boxes date from about 2012. This one talks about "2010" options, but I assume that since they still show up on the menu, they are all still currently available. The Sony channel is offering "Truth" -- current movie we just rented from Redbox for $1.50/day. Looked like it was $6 to stream.

Please walk me through the Amazon Prime membership as regards streaming movies. I see Amazon has at least one TV series we have been waiting to see: Season Three of "The Americans". It looks like it is $6 per episode. (Our library at home has this now, but we're not there, we're here!)

We usually split a movie over two days of teatime. If we chose "The Americans" Episode One of Season Three, and had an Amazon Prime membership, how long would we have access to that episode? Could we *stop* and *resume*? (With Redbox, we just pay for two days, as time stops at midnight of the day you rent.) What's the cost to have Prime? (I very seldom buy anything online, so never looked into this -- certainly not for Hawaii, where shipping is a week, not days.)

Thanks for helping guide two Seniors into the 21st Century.

• bob_cville
    8 years ago

Since I work in the University of Virginia library that is often where I will get movies that I want to watch. They have a very broad collection, but since they have only a few copies of recent, popular movies often I will find those will be checked out.

My one experience with Netflix was a few years ago at my SIL's at Christmastime. She and her husband had to drive their son to the ER and left us to finish making dinner and watch their other two kids. We planned to use their Netflix account to watch a movie, and thought of a couple of movies we wanted to watch. We search Netflix, and discovered they weren't available.

I know the preferred method of use is to browse through what (little) they have and select something, but after a few tries of thinking of a movie, and finding it was not available, it became a sort of perverse challenge. I failed. I was unable to think of any movie I was interested in seeing, that they had.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

Amazon Video is available to everyone, so you can download the app to your iPad and rent or buy the video content you want. In the case of The Americans Season 3, you can buy the whole season for $19.99. Once you buy it, it is yours forever. Rental movies are available to you for 30 days to start watching, but only 24 hours once you begin watching.

Amazon Video offers some of its content free to those who have paid for Amazon Prime service which costs $99 plus tax per year. The Americans Season 3 is currently available for free viewing to Amazon Prime subscribers. In addition to certain free video content, Amazon Prime offers access to commercial-free Amazon Radio and two-day free shipping on many items (not sure about to Hawaii).

You could sign up for a free 30-day trial to Amazon Prime, watch all of the episodes of The Americans Season Three and check out other Amazon video content to see if you want to cancel or continue.

• joyfulguy
    8 years ago

They have about 50 kinds of music that one can access at cbc.ca. Ben Hefner has a weekly program where he tells stories and plays mostly classical music. They have a number of podcasts of radio programs. Some of their programs are available on (Sirius?) 169 - but that's only to U.S. mainland, I think.

Don't know whether any of their TV programs are available, movies, etc.

CBC radio have a number of British, German, Australian and Irish programs that they broadcast overnight, but don't know whether they are available at other times or to download.

ole joyfuelled ... CBC radio addict: can do other things while (more or less) listen

• maddielee
    8 years ago

I just checked, The Americans (3 seasons) is available for streaming through Amazon Prime. Yes, you can pause and come back later. Before movies and tv shows are pulled from Netflix and Amazon Prime you are given enough notice (usually months) that you will have time to watch.

Amazon Prime is currently $99.00/year. That also includes free 2 day shipping on many products you might buy on Amazon.

A hint: I have found that searching and adding shows to your watch list is lots easier to do using your app on your computer.

• chisue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all. This is great! I think I know the Amazon/Amazon Prime 'rules'.

Does anyone watch via Sony? One of our nice guests registered this BluRay with Sony, but that was at least three years ago. I'd need to talk to them again, but only want to get *into* that if their channel is worth the effort (unlike Netflix).

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

We never rent videos. Actually I don't watch them. My husband has so many videos, mostly westerns. He does not like DVD's wants the tapes. We do not have cable, just antenna television. I find all I want to watch on it in the evening. If not, I do something else. You can find tapes and DVD's pretty cheap at Goodwill.

Sue