What's this in my 'hunan shrimp'?!
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Dianthus Shrimp or other perennial or wildflower or weed?
Comments (3)Actually I started seeds in pots, and then I transplanted seedlings to the ground. However, somehow the original Dianthus Shrimp was choked by this plant instead. I have never had ANY luck for growing cilantro (4 or 5 times). Even the mature cilantro I bought died. Thus, when Noinwi suspects it to be cilantro. I was surprised but happy, and I actually dared enough to eat one leave...It does taste like cilantro though. Italian parsley does not even taste like close family to cilantro. Although I do sometimes reuse the soil for pots, I don't reuse it for the ground plant, and I use the peat pellet seed starter. If the plant is indeed cilantro, I really have no idea how the seed got into the spot on the ground....See MoreEmmenopterys henryi - pink strain from Hunan
Comments (28)Mea culpa, Brandon. If it's a Friday or Saturday night post it sometimes veers. I'll check contents of cornjug later on today to see what might have happened last night. I believe I am ok now. I never take myself too seriously, my Tennesse friend, and am happy to say I have enjoyed a life long interest in the world. Anyways, the defintion of cultivar as offered is accurate in that a cultivar has a legal connotation, since it's designation is often meant to protect patent rights. An unkown "cultivar' wouldn't be a cultivar in the strict sense of the word, a race or variety might be a more accurate term. But that would still have to be predetermined, as it truely would have to be distinct within the specie. I would like you to know, Brandon, all kidding aside, that I am a happily married man to my first and only wife, with two smart and pretty daughters, graudated with honors with a B.S. in Biology in 1996. I work now in the construction industry, it's a very non-p.c field. I like trees, rock n roll, books, foreigners, odd people, gracious souls, bamboo, suirrel, and pick-up trucks. I appreciate the many knowledgeable people here....See MoreCan you ID these shrimp(?) that just appeared in my tank?
Comments (2)Most likely they're Gammarus! They are a native crustacean, so they are actually shrimp. I used to catch and breed them as fishfood, when I had access to them. I have Daphnia, cyclops and Caddisfly larvae now, but would like to get my hands on those again. Congrats on having the good taste to keep natives!!;~) I have many different kinds and really love them. As soon as I expand my curent system, I'll add more. Here's one of my Black-banded sunfish and a Rainbow darter(submissive male) in a cloud of Daphnia! Red Cherry Shrimp are just like C. japonica, although from Taiwan and prettier. They're completely different from these guys, but we do have similar type of freshwater shrimp that look more shrimplike. Here is a link that might be useful: Hyalella azteca...See MorePick and Peel Shrimp - what do you do?
Comments (17)Well I'm really sad because I can't find the poached shrimp recipe; I can "see" it and it's in a mag I must have tossed. But this sounds extremely close to what I remember. From Cooks Illustrated. I'll have to try it myself - the interesting part is making stock with the shells rather than cooking them in shells: 1 pound large shrimp (16 to 20 count), peeled, deveined, and rinsed, shells reserved 1 teaspoon table salt 1 cup dry white wine 4 peppercorns 5 coriander seeds 1/2 bay leaf 5 sprigs fresh parsley leaves 1 sprig fresh tarragon leaves 1 teaspoon lemon juice from 1 small lemon 1. Bring reserved shells, 3 cups water, and salt to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until fragrant, about 20 minutes. Strain stock through sieve, pressing on shells to extract all liquid. 2. Bring stock and remaining ingredients except shrimp to boil in 3- or 4-quart saucepan over high heat; boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in shrimp; cover and let stand until firm and pink, about 8-10 minutes. Drain shrimp, reserving stock for another use. Plunge shrimp into ice water to stop cooking, then drain again. Serve shrimp chilled with cocktail sauce. And the grilled shrimp I absolutely love - haven't made it in a while so it's more involved than I remember. But brining then marinating really makes it great. ingredients 1 quart water 1/3 cup salt 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar 1 1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, unpeeled 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tablespoons dry white wine 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper Roasted Garlic-Herb Sauce (you can get the link from Epicurious.com - I made it the first time and thought nothing of it. The shrimp are delicious by themselves.) preparation Stir first 3 ingredients in medium bowl until sugar dissolves. Add shrimp. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Drain and rinse shrimp. Using shears, cut shrimp shells down center of back all the way to tail section. Using sharp knife, cut shrimp in their shells along the full length of the back (do not cut all the way through). Remove vein and pull off legs. Open shrimp. Whisk olive oil, white wine, garlic, parsley, and crushed red pepper in clean medium bowl. Add shrimp and stir; let stand 30 minutes. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place shrimp, flesh side down, on grill. Grill shrimp until pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to platter and serve, passing Roasted Garlic-Herb Sauce separately. Bon Appétit, July 2001...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago


dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m