SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Dianthus Shrimp or other perennial or wildflower or weed?

chueh
16 years ago

I have to admit that I am a very mixed up person. I planted little seedlings of different kinds of perennials last fall to the ground. Prior to that, I sowed wildflower seeds on the hillside behind the bed. Some of the wildflower seeds ran down from the hill to the bed because of rainfall. I always have problem remember plant names and identify them, so i just plant and ignore everything else. Although I used popsicle stick to mark where each plant was, I did not write down the plant name for everyone. I just realize not long ago that the beautifully grown plant supposed to be dianthus shrimp on the ground is NOT the dianthus shrimp I planted.

Dianthus shrimp should look like my other dianthus shrimp plant. Please see picture below:

However, the full picture of the stranger is:

I know that it's hard to see what's going one in the picture, since another kind of dianthus with red flowers is right next to it. Please see the detail picture of the bottom of the plant:

The plant is blooming at the top. They are small small white flowers, as 1/3 the size of the red dianthus flowers next to it.

So..... anybody know what plant this is? Most of my perennials are still small, and i cannot identify them yet. Is it possible to be one of my wildflowers? Or is it a weed. The flowers of it are so small; it looks like a good candidate of weeds. However, before I know what it is, I don't want to pull it out. It is growing so nicely. Thanks

Comments (3)