SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coops905

Help with cleaning newly refinished hardwoods that look dull

H202
8 years ago

House is from 1850. The current oak floors are probably from some time thereafter (maybe 1900). We did a full gut job and had them refinished with ebony stain and gloss finish. End result was a dark brown but not black finish, and the finish was shiny but not super glossy (I wonder if they used semi-gloss, because he was highly skeptical that we really wanted full gloss). We kept the floors covered for most of the reno, but out of necessity still had small projects/contractors taking place after the floors were uncovered - so they were exposed to dirt, dust and shoes. We also have a crazy destructive 4 year old son :)

Fast forward 6 months - and I'm not troubled by the scuffs and scratches (again, 4 year old). But i am surprised that, regardless of the scratches, the floors never really look glossy anymore. Like, they were glossy for a week, and haven't looked shiny since then. They look dull and maybe even cloudy. We didn't put anything on them to make them dull - just were sweeping and mopping from the end stages of our renovation. Now we have a housekeeper coming, and i think she just uses Bona, but she hasn't done anything miraculous and they always look pretty blah after she's been here.

Ideas? Solutions short of those chemical sprays (which we'll likely resort to down the road)?

Comments (3)