SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_wi

Thinking of replacing old wood-clad patio Door with vinyl

Shannon_WI
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My house was built in the '80s. The sliding glass patio door is original and needs to be replaced. It is wood-clad. It's horribly drafty, and looks decrepit.

A couple of my neighbors told me they've replaced theirs with vinyl sliding doors because a good wood-clad is so expensive. I've seen my neighbors' vinyl sliding doors on the outside, and they appear to look fine, though I can tell they're vinyl.

What I really want is something that will look as good as possible on the inside, knowing that you can't duplicate the look of wood. But can you come close?

I've been reading through old posts on this forum. One by Mmarse1 struck me. He said "most high quality vinyl brands will outshine a wood patio door, however, it needs to be a high quality vinyl".

In that post, Mmarse1's recommended Okna, Sunrise and Softlite. There is a contractor in my area that gets high grades on Angie's List. He carries Hi-Mark by Okna, Starmark by Okna, and Soft-Lite.

Which of those vinyl sliding glass patio doors look closest to wood-clad? Which of those vinyl brands are most effective at stopping the draft I am getting?

- this will be full-frame replacement-new construction-type replacement, not just a "replacement".

- I don't want blinds in the door, or grids, and the exterior and interior trims will be white.

- The patio door is approx. 8' high by 6' wide.

- The door faces southeast.

- I am in the midwest, climate zone 5a.

Thanks!

Comments (13)