SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_126972873

Patio door replacement, how to decide

K T
4 years ago

Looking to replace the old sliding patio door on my home. Have talked a few different contractors, got lots of different stories and prices, makes it very hard to know what's best.

I had pella replace a bunch of windows last 2 years, and overall I'm pretty happy with them, not thrilled with some of the finishing work on the outside though. I considered a pella door, but the cost pella wanted to install the door was crazy, and I don't love the screen on the inside setup.

I've looked at Jeldwen as well, but they don't seem highly recommended.

Had a place stop over and give me a sales pitch on Kensington, but seemed so much sales to me.

One of my main concerns is how it will be installed, some talked about just fitting into existing slot, without taking siding back ( I have aluminum siding) and I'm not sure how you get a quality install without doing that?

I know the boards under the existing door are rotten, and have water damage. I want to make sure the new setup doesn't have that problem.

So long story short, any advice on how to approach this? I was planning wood door with aluminum clad exterior, my house has a lot of wood inside, kind of mountain lodge like, vinyl seems foreign.

Appreciate any help!

Comments (5)